Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Local High School Star MasterDurant24's Avatar

Default Re: Wilt averaging 50 points wasn't that impressive after all...

Quote Originally Posted by 7_cody
    I'm not very knowledgeable on the NBA before the 1980s, well I know quite a bit but I'm not expert is what I want to say

From what I've seen watching classic games probably pre 1970s or so (which is how I like to judge, by watching, not reading stats) - the game was in its early stages of evolution and none of it was impressive

It doesn't make basketball less amazing, every sport started somewhere.
    The only big differences I see from back then to now is the ball handling, because players werent allowed to carry the ball back then and more dunks. And of course the 3point line. But post play especially, hasnt seemed to change that much.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueandGold
    Regardless of what a lot of NBA revisionists would like to say there's no way Wilt would average close to that in today's game.

Take into consideration:

- # of teams in the league at that point was a 1/3rd of what it is now, ABA also existed to take away talent from the NBA

- # of playoff games needed to win a championship was much lower as well (factoring in championships)

-# of possessions per game and pace was MUCH higher during the 60s/70s. There's a great possessions/drating chart that's been floating around that shows that the pace was the highest in the 60s, 70s and 80s, lowest in the late 90s and 00s.

- Average height/wingspan of your average player was much smaller, also mentioned earlier the talent pool was diluted due to ABA sapping talent away from the league. Hell even the Harlem Globetrotters took Wilt before Philly was able to secure him.
    Find me one person who thinks that Wilt would average 50ppg today.

Nobody thinks he would or could.

However, that doesn't take anything away from what he did achieve in the 1960s, when he single-handedly decimated the record books for eternity.

If you don't respect that, then that's your loss. It's a shame you can't respect the history of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterDurant24
    The only big differences I see from back then to now is the ball handling, because players werent allowed to carry the ball back then and more dunks. And of course the 3point line. But post play especially, hasnt seemed to change that much.
    You're spot on; ball-handling and the three-point line are the main changes.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    Find me one person who thinks that Wilt would average 50ppg today.

Nobody thinks he would or could.

However, that doesn't take anything away from what he did achieve in the 1960s, when he single-handedly decimated the record books for eternity.

If you don't respect that, then that's your loss. It's a shame you can't respect the history of the game.
    It's a shame that's all you got from my post.

BTW idolizing and glorifying past NBA players is not "respecting the history of the game".

I'm not sure how old you are but have some more self-respect please, or at least respect the legitimate posters on this forum. If not you'll find yourself arguing with only the trolls on this forum (at least 50% of the posters here)

Quote Originally Posted by LamarOdom
    True
    The funniest part of that post is as if you hadn't ever had a thought close to this ever.

Yet garbage minutes or not, think of how a man playing an entire game under more PHYSICAL rules and harder opposition (yes, not every single game, but that's like criticizing Kobe for scoring some crazy amount of points against Charlotte "but it's against Charlotte" is how you denigrate the entire 60s basketball, when infact the league was infinitely stronger. I guess everyone in the league has no marketable stars just because Charlotte doesn't).

Can you see anyone playing 48 minutes in today's pussyball? Exactly.

It's a shame that's all you got from my post.

BTW idolizing and glorifying past NBA players is not "respecting the history of the game".

I'm not sure how old you are but have some more self-respect please, or at least respect the legitimate posters on this forum. If not you'll find yourself arguing with only the trolls on this forum (at least 50% of the posters here)
    I'm not glorifying past NBA players; I'm merely defending them from people who show no respect for what those players and teams accomplished.

In your post, you made up a load of crap and expect people to buy it.

I'm probably twice your age and, from what I can tell, know infinitely more about basketball than you do. You said you're a "legitimate poster on this forum" and yet your previous post stated that "regardless of what a lot of NBA revisionists would like to say there's no way Wilt would average close to that in today's game", proving that you struggle with reading comprehension.

I'll ask once again: please find me one person who thinks that Wilt would average 50ppg today. Even jlauber doesn't think that.

Now, if you've got nothing constructive to say about NBA history, then stop trying to piss all over it.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Math2
    Can you see anyone playing 48 minutes in today's pussyball? Exactly.
    He led the league practically every year, well into the end of his career, it's almost unimaginable.

Once in a generation, freak of nature athlete.

Even if his minutes were reduced in todays game, he would be raring to get off the bench and add to his 20,000 list.

I'm not glorifying past NBA players; I'm merely defending them from people who show no respect for what those players and teams accomplished.

In your post, you made up a load of crap and expect people to buy it.

I'm probably twice your age and, from what I can tell, know infinitely more about basketball than you do.
    You said you're a "legitimate poster on this forum" and yet your previous post stated that "regardless of what a lot of NBA revisionists would like to say there's no way Wilt would average close to that in today's game", proving that you struggle with reading comprehension.

I'll ask once again: please find me one person who thinks that Wilt would average 50ppg today. Even jlauber doesn't think that.

Now, if you've got nothing constructive to say about NBA history, then stop trying to piss all over it.

Thank you.
    Good to know your so modest. Anyways it's pretty obvious to most of the posters on here who are the trolls and who aren't.All I stated were factors to consider and your getting that worked out about it and then attack me for "making up a load of crap".

If your not offended by my opinions then simply ignore me or choose not to read.

I'm sure your going to post some smart response back as to that's exactly what you plan to do but I'll continue to read your posts and respond to them as I see fit. When you want to have a civilized/legitimate discussion on NBA matters feel free to respond to mine with a little something more than calling everything what I have to say "a load of crap".

Anyways back to the OP:

- the pace per possessions WAS significantly much more in the 60s and 70s.
    - took much less games to win a championship (only had to win 8) and the ABA also sapped talent away from the league (Dr. J, Moses, etc)
    - Wilt's point production also dropped significantly in the playoffs, even with the higher pace was unable to outscore Jordan and Shaq in playoff PPG

If you want to dispute those facts than please go ahead, will only respond to NBA related content.
    Last edited by BlueandGold; 09-09-2012 at 05:58 PM.

raep tiem

How the **** does he average 48.5 minutes?

Wow. It's literally an all out ISH war right now between those who consider the 60's and 70's as a legitimately competitive NBA era (and the players who accomplished feats in that era) and those who clearly don't. Most NBA "fans" on the non-supportive side must have failed miserably in their history classes when they were in school. Clearly it isn't valued. Most of the people talking about that era that don't think it was competitive are OPENLY STATING that they have seen little of it and know little of it. Yet they are just as keen on saying it wasn't impressive
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 09-09-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Good to know your so modest. Anyways it's pretty obvious to most of the posters on here who are the trolls and who aren't.All I stated were factors to consider and your getting that worked out about it and then attack me for "making up a load of crap".

If your not offended by my opinions then simply ignore me or choose not to read.

I'm sure your going to post some smart response back as to that's exactly what you plan to do but I'll continue to read your posts and respond to them as I see fit. When you want to have a civilized/legitimate discussion on NBA matters feel free to respond to mine with a little something more than calling everything what I have to say "a load of crap".
    *you're

Everything you said in your post at the bottom of page 2 was incorrect, so yes, it was a load of crap.

Like I said, it's a shame you can't respect the League's history, instead of trying to belittle it.

Raz
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by 7_cody
    A quick google search tells me that there are like 46 seven footers in the NBA today. The list posted earlier had like 8 or 9 I think. So what you're basically saying is that there were 8 or 9 games where he faced a seven footer, most not very talented, but other then that he had a severe size advantage

His numbers are impressive for his era, nothing else, IMO
    Are you mentally deficient? There are more today because there are more teams. Do your research, kid.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Wow. It's literally an all out ISH war right now between those who consider the 60's as a legitimately competitive NBA era (and the players who accomplished feats in that era) and those who clearly don't. Most NBA "fans" must have failed miserably in their history classes.
    Those who don't respect the League's history are those of a certain age (i.e. school kids).

However, there's some good news: In 10 years time, when LeBron is retired, there will be some new kids on ISH who will try to tell people that LeBron was overrated. People like BlueandGold and his cronies will suddenly find themselves in our shoes; they will defend LeBron rationally and, all of sudden, it'll dawn on them that the League's history should be respected.

Only then will BlueandGold and his fellow teenagers have an appreciation of Wilt Chamberlain and other superstars of yesteryear.

In the meantime, it's like banging our heads against a brick wall.

They just don't get it.

But they will get it one day.

Dunking on everybody in the park

*you're

Everything you said in your post at the bottom of page 2 was incorrect, so yes, it was a load of crap.

Like I said, it's a shame you can't respect the League's history, instead of trying to belittle it.
    I really liked what you brought to this thread so far -- you even changed my perspective a bit on the "history of the game and its greatness back in the 60s"

however, to be fair, you're not really rebutting anything BlueandGold said. All of it is false just because you said so? Any proof? Looks to me like he made have made three very valid points, which I haven't researched or clarified, but have you?

Dunking on everybody in the park

Those who don't respect the League's history are those of a certain age (i.e. school kids).

However, there's some good news: In 10 years time, when LeBron is retired, there will be some new kids on ISH who will try to tell people that LeBron was overrated. People like BlueandGold and his cronies will suddenly find themselves in our shoes; they will defend LeBron rationally and, all of sudden, it'll dawn on them that the League's history should be respected.

Only then will BlueandGold and his fellow teenagers have an appreciation of Wilt Chamberlain and other superstars of yesteryear.

In the meantime, it's like banging our heads against a brick wall.

They just don't get it.

But they will get it one day.
    I respect the "history of the game" for what it was -- the history. I also believe that it has evolved and will continue to do so. From what I've seen watching footage and classic games of the very, very early games I was not impressed by the level of athleticism and skill. But that's to be expected, every sport starts somewhere.

Don't you think the level of talent and skill in the NBA and the world will be even better in 20 years from now, not worse?

With that said, I can see why you're frustrated, it's like your analogy of people bashing LeBron in the future -- if 20 years from now my grand kids are telling me that Kobe wasn't very good, or even LeBron, then they'll be hearing it from me lol