Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: [VIDEO] 315LBS 36 YEARS OLD Wilt - MONSTER shot block and dunk

Click below for full size image:
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-T...%2520Chart.jpg

There's no way Wilt's hips clear the bar in the scaled images from his standing flat-footed position without rising ~40". He obviously could not / did not jump like that throughout his NBA career (where he mostly weighed 290+), but in college when he weighed 240 and under I think he was light enough and strong enough to be leaping 40". If Dwight can leap 39" on sport science while weighing 280lbs and Shaq 36" while weighing 300lbs, Wilt definitely could leap 40" carrying only 240lbs. It is far from impossible.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 08-15-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    Read my reply, and that picture is not of a guy who had a 40+ vertial...
    I haven't claimed a 40' vertical.
    But you said Wilt wasn't close.

So
    1) Yes someone with a standing vertical that high, I believe that is a guy who was in the ballpark of a 40' vertical. Look how close he is to the bar, then draw a line between the bottom of the posts to see where he's leaping from. Look at the fact that from his form not only does it appear to be a standing leap, but a leap without any use of arms or body shape. This isn't a special effort for Wilt, (and for that matter we don't even know that the picture caught him at his peak).
    2) I've read your reply and your stuff in other Wilt threads. We don't have, (and there weren't that many in the first place and tapes get destroyed, recorded over or lost) that many of Wilt's pro games, especially in his prime. So why on earth would they have footage of him in high school.
    My opinion has remained the same as it was in a recently bumped thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl
    I'm too not sure that I'd endorse Wilt's character with regard to honesty. And I haven't read through the whole thread, but in "Wilt: Just another ..." his first book (his autobigography, written at the end of his career, rather than his later books which were more opinion/musing based and which included claims of 50" vertical and 20,000 women) he claims to have run up from around center court (could dig up the quote if anyone really cares) for his free throw dunks. No mention of 3 steps (which I don't personally believe, but Wilt did have very long lengs so would cover greater disances in fewer strides). I tend to doubt 3 strides and don't know whether or not he was breaking the plane of the ft line (as I vaguely seem to recall Dr J doing for his free throw line dunk), to me it's not really that relevant. Wilt was a tremendous athlete and anyone who thinks he was only good because he was playing in an predominantly white league doesn't know their history.
    What I would add to which is
    1) Wilt was a phenomenal athlete for a man of his size
    and
    2) The free throw line dunk isn't that exceptional a task, Toni Kukoc did it. And Wilt wouldn't have jump as far as Toni or MJ or Dr J or Jim Pollard or Brent Barry, his greater height and reach mean he wouldn't have to get as close to the basket as they did.

So that you don't believe and refuse to even entertain that he could dunk from there, in his athletic prime, despite Tex Winter legislating against it, baffles me.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW

There's no way Wilt's hips clear the bar in the scaled images from his standing flat-footed position without rising ~40". He obviously could not / did not jump like that throughout his NBA career (where he mostly weighed 290+), but in college when he weighed 240 and under I think he was light enough and strong enough to be leaping 40". If Dwight can leap 39" on sport science while weighing 280lbs and Shaq 36" while weighing 300lbs, Wilt definitely could leap 40" carrying only 240lbs. It is far from impossible.

NBA rookie of the year

Sorry, bro, but that is nonsense.

Wilt jumping 6'6 as a high jumper doesn't say anything about his vertical, AT ALL.

You don't have to have around a 40 inch vertical to do the straddle jump as high as Wilt.

Stefan Holm was a swedish high jumper, one of the best ever and could sax over 2.10 meters and he had a vertical leap of 43 inches and he looked like this while jumping;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFG1o...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG3_I3zFB0U
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVZ3ZcorTF0

If Wilt would have a jumping ability anywhere close to Holm's he'd be over the ring with his head BY FAR.

Certified ISHiot.

That dunk was the definition of "routine."

Sorry, bro, but that is nonsense.

Wilt jumping 6'6 as a high jumper doesn't say anything about his vertical, AT ALL.

You don't have to have around a 40 inch vertical to do the straddle jump as high as Wilt.

Stefan Holm was a swedish high jumper, one of the best ever and could sax over 2.10 meters and he had a vertical leap of 43 inches and he looked like this while jumping;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFG1o...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG3_I3zFB0U
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVZ3ZcorTF0

If Wilt would have a jumping ability anywhere close to Holm's he'd be over the ring with his head BY FAR.

Assuming relatively normal weight distribution for someone his size, Wilt's needs about a 30-34 inch vertical to complete the jump in that video.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by DatAsh
    Assuming relatively normal weight distribution for someone his size, Wilt's needs about a 30-34 inch vertical to complete the jump in that video.
    Somewhere around 30-34 makes much more sense.

By the way, I don't get it why people are writing so much about Wilt and his high jumping. Russell was even shorter and he was a better high jumper as well, Russell's record is 6'9 in high jumping and in '56 he was ranked as the 7th best high jumper at that time.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

I mean, not really... this is from the era long before the NBA filmed with 20 cameras from all angles and editors hand picked the most flattering angle to make everyone and their mother appear to dunk with their chin at the rim.

This is a simple no-nonsense bleacher camera - the kind that makes leaping and dunking unimpressive enough that it ISN'T an angle used anymore to playback great highlight dunks on networks that cover games. Wilt jumped pretty well for his age. Looks like his afro reaches rim level. His feet rise and hang for a good moment. Doesn't look all that outrageous and deceptive to me sounds like u just hatin
    I was speaking in regards to the video title that said that he was at the top of the backboard.

Local High School Star

Somewhere around 30-34 makes much more sense.

By the way, I don't get it why people are writing so much about Wilt and his high jumping. Russell was even shorter and he was a better high jumper as well, Russell's record is 6'9 in high jumping and in '56 he was ranked as the 7th best high jumper at that time.
    Because you've aggressively denied the idea that he could dunk from the free throw line, and given the chances of anyone having recorded it are miniscule, and high jumping is an example (from around the time of his ft dunks) of Wilt's tremendous athleticism.

People are posing high jump stuff because you suggest there's nothing that he's done "even close to a free throw line dunk"
    All I asked for was a freaking photograph, some kind of record or video footage of anything even close to a free throw line dunk...
    Why is it unthinkable to you that Wilt was at a level of athleticism that allowed him to achieve a feat acomplished by a young Toni Kukoc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzmOQtGSPfA

reminds me of Kobe's off the backboard pass too himself

NBA rookie of the year

Because you've aggressively denied the idea that he could dunk from the free throw line, and given the chances of anyone having recorded it are miniscule, and high jumping is an example (from around the time of his ft dunks) of Wilt's tremendous athleticism.
    What?
    I denied the idea that he could dunk from the FT-line with 3 small steps like fools like Jlauber claimed.

And no, Wilt's high jumping is a terrible example, there are girls who jump way higher today than what Wilt did back in the 50's, sure, the Flosbury flop is the new way of jumping but Wilt's high jumping record doesn't say anything really.

Hell, even George Horine back in 1912 jumped higher than Wilt Chamberlain, claiming that Wilt's high jumping record says anything about him being able to dunk from the FT-line is laughable.

People are posing high jump stuff because you suggest there's nothing that he's done "even close to a free throw line dunk"
    Again, his high jumping doesn't translate anywhere close to a person who could dunk from the FT-line by only taking 3 small steps.

Why is it unthinkable to you that Wilt was at a level of athleticism that allowed him to achieve a feat acomplished by a young Toni Kukoc.
    Toni Kukoc had his whole foot over the FT-line to start with, and if I recall correctly the NBA FT-line was further back than the FIBA FT-line. And we're told that Wilt did it by only taking 3 small steps with barely any speed at all..

NBA rookie of the year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzmOQtGSPfA

reminds me of Kobe's off the backboard pass too himself
    Haha, what's really funny about that clip is that the commentator says,

"Oscar looks at Wilt, gives it to HER and Wilt gives it back to Cazzie Russell"..

HER?

Toni Kukoc had his whole foot over the FT-line to start with, and if I recall correctly the NBA FT-line was further back than the FIBA FT-line. And we're told that Wilt did it by only taking 3 small steps with barely any speed at all..
    I seriously doubt the FIBA and NBA ft lines were any different back then. Nowadays, the FIBA line is actually 1 inch further from the basket:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_court

I don't know how many steps Wilt would need to dunk from the line (I don't doubt for a second that in general he could), but in the previous post about girls jumping higher than Wilt, you do need to take into account that Wilt actually high jumped after only taking like 3 steps overall. I don't see any woman jump 2 metres high after 3 steps and while using the old technique.

Local High School Star

What?
    I denied the idea that he could dunk from the FT-line with 3 small steps like fools like Jlauber claimed.
    As far as I'm aware no one has claimed 3 small steps. Wilt long after claimed with a run up within the circle, Wilt nearer the time claimed halfcourt, Tex Winter recalled 3 steps. CavsFTW has suggested 3 long steps possibly from within the halfcourt circle, I don't know of Jlauber's opinion on this. Feel free to post quotes to inform me of it or correct anything I've got wrong.

In anycase the impression I've got certainly from the tone of your posts (possibly from the content over older ones) is that you don't believe he dunked from the free throw line at all. Feel free to clarify if this is untrue.

And no, Wilt's high jumping is a terrible example, there are girls who jump way higher today than what Wilt did back in the 50's, sure, the Flosbury flop is the new way of jumping but Wilt's high jumping record doesn't say anything really.

Hell, even George Horine back in 1912 jumped higher than Wilt Chamberlain, claiming that Wilt's high jumping record says anything about him being able to dunk from the FT-line is laughable.

Again, his high jumping doesn't translate anywhere close to a person who could dunk from the FT-line by only taking 3 small steps.
    It's not that he was an elite high jumper by comparison with the all-time elite high jumpers. He doesn't seem to have had the technique and elite leg control would be required to jump really well using the straddle at Wilt's height. The point is, Wilt by the standard of people his size, who didn't dedicate themselves towards the high jump was a remarkable leaper. So yes the worlds best leaper in 1912 once jumped higher than Wilt's jump. That doesn't mean Wilt was a bad jumper so I don't know what point you're trying to make. It seems irrelevant and an entirely needless attempt to do down a tremendous athlete. Feel free to explain why it isn't.

Toni Kukoc had his whole foot over the FT-line to start with, and if I recall correctly the NBA FT-line was further back than the FIBA FT-line. And we're told that Wilt did it by only taking 3 small steps with barely any speed at all.
    I'd suggest the same source as Psileas on where the free throw line is, I'd be surprised if it ever changed.

Again I don't think anyone believes 3 small steps. Again rather than provoking others why not just state what you think is plausible. Dunking whilst breaking the the free throw line with a halfcourt run-up. Foot completely over the line? Dunking with the assistance of a stepladder?

You could be having a reasonable difference of opinion over minute details but by repeatedly attacking a position that (as far as I'm aware) no-one present has taken (and no-one claimed except Wilt in one interview long after the fact) you come across as unreasonable.

Edit to clarify: I stated early in my post that no one claimed three small steps at the start yet effectively concede that Wilt said that (long after). He never specifically said 3 steps but did once claim a run-up within the free-throw circle, which would surely have given room for no more than 3 steps. His earlier statement in his '73 autobiography of a halfcourt run-up seems more plausible.
    Last edited by Owl; 08-17-2012 at 10:02 AM.

It seems that only vids of Wilt doing something completely routine and ordinary get labeled "MONSTER-ous" around here...