Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Decent playground baller franchiez's Avatar

Default Re: Jim Boeheim: LeBron James could challenge Michael Jordan for 'best ever' title

If he wins his 8 titles, maybe.

Default Re: Jim Boeheim: LeBron James could challenge Michael Jordan for 'best ever' title

lets be real, here....

no

I've said it before: Lebron is already, ability-wise, superior to Jordan IMO. Whether he has a better career (more championships, etc) is where the rest of his legacy rests.

Also, hate the way people like Boeheim frame the discussion as if by being better than Jordan you're automatically the GOAT. There are like 5 other guys who are GOAT candidates and if Lebron has a comparable career he'll be among them. Unless Lebron blows past everything Jordan did it will always be a debate; just as it should be.
    Last edited by LeBird; 08-15-2012 at 07:38 AM.

Banned

ppl said this about kobe too remember guys?

we'll see what happens

Why not?

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hands of Iron
    Let's be real here, as I'm obviously not his biggest fan either. Jordan could've been the GOAT if he'd stayed retired and never came back after 1993. He was that great, folks. I often see people talk about his refinement, increased skill set and intelligence from 1996-98 and I really wonder what the **** they're on about. There wasnt anything to refine or any intelligence to gain. He'd already mastered the game, top to bottom, inside and out. The only difference is that he was 27-29 years old and still in his athletic prime. The mid-range shot was already deadly, the post game was there and the greatest first step explosion ever seen was in full effect. Those teams were also not nearly as complete as the 2nd threepeat so he got the opportunity to carry them to titles and that's what he did. The numbers and performances don't lie. They needed all of it.
    Agreed

In hindsight, I wish he'd have gone out like Jim Brown, Barry Sanders or Sandy Koufax. At the absolute (or very close to it) pinnacle of his career and leaving everybody wondering why (yeah I know Koufax had injuries) and not giving detractors the opportunity to know another reality. Of course, nobody is going to turn down 3 more titles (and Finals MVPs) and another 2 MVPs (shouldve been 3) to really push things out of reach, but it's clear as day he was past it for all of that. Saying anything else would be a disservice to his Real prime, real peak.
    He wasn't at his absolute peak in the late 90's but his level was higher than a lot of other player's absolute peaks. It was great seeing him put in work primarily from the post and as a Bulls fan it was great seeing 3 more titles. It was nice seeing him work against younger guys that could match his physical abilities (Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, Chris Webber, etc) but not his mental ones. I do wish he had hung up the sneakers after the 98 championship. No, more accurately, once he decided to retire I wish he had stayed retired. I just don't see the point of the Washington years 3 or 4 years afterwards...

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Lebron's talent yes, but can he surpass Kobe first

Let's be real here, as I'm obviously not his biggest fan either. Jordan could've been the GOAT if he'd stayed retired and never came back after 1993. He was that great, folks. I often see people talk about his refinement, increased skill set and intelligence from 1996-98 and I really wonder what the **** they're on about. There wasnt anything to refine or any intelligence to gain. He'd already mastered the game, top to bottom, inside and out. The only difference is that he was 27-29 years old and still in his athletic prime. The mid-range shot was already deadly, the post game was there and the greatest first step explosion ever seen was in full effect. Those teams were also not nearly as complete as the 2nd threepeat so he got the opportunity to carry them to titles and that's what he did. The numbers and performances don't lie. They needed all of it.

In hindsight, I wish he'd have gone out like Jim Brown, Barry Sanders or Sandy Koufax. At the absolute (or very close to it) pinnacle of his career and leaving everybody wondering why (yeah I know Koufax had injuries) and not giving detractors the opportunity to know another reality. Of course, nobody is going to turn down 3 more titles (and Finals MVPs) and another 2 MVPs (shouldve been 3) to really push things out of reach, but it's clear as day he was past it for all of that. Saying anything else would be a disservice to his Real prime, real peak.

I have no idea what people like this Boehim guy see, LBJ, as good as he is, he is still not as good as prime Jordan and let's face it, I don't see LBJ getting better as he ages because skills wise, he is nowhere near Jordan. Athletically yes, fundamental skills, um no.

Lebron needs to surprise Kobe first before he surpasses Jordan.

[ [ Sickplicity ] ]

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    Agreed

He wasn't at his absolute peak in the late 90's but his level was higher than a lot of other player's absolute peaks. It was great seeing him put in work primarily from the post and as a Bulls fan it was great seeing 3 more titles. It was nice seeing him work against younger guys that could match his physical abilities (Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, Chris Webber, etc) but not his mental ones. I do wish he had hung up the sneakers after the 98 championship. No, more accurately, once he decided to retire I wish he had stayed retired. I just don't see the point of the Washington years 3 or 4 years afterwards...
    Yeah, you wouldn't ever realistically want to turn down the type of success he still managed to have in his first comeback and it further cemented him. I just find that these days now that he's long gone, when I feel like watching an old Bulls game I instinctively gravitate towards the late 80s-early 90s. When I talk about or rate him, that's the player I have in mind. He didnt need to double his championship count to be the best player there's ever been, or at least a frontrunner for that title. Then again, I weigh peak probably more heavily than anything.

Kobe fans so salty, why? You guys know better than Boheim, Magic and Bird?

[ [ Sickplicity ] ]

Quote Originally Posted by LeBird
    I've said it before: Lebron is already, ability-wise, superior to Jordan IMO. Whether he has a better career (more championships, etc) is where the rest of his legacy rests.

Also, hate the way people like Boeheim frame the discussion as if by being better than Jordan you're automatically the GOAT. There are like 5 other guys who are GOAT candidates and if Lebron has a comparable career he'll be among them. Unless Lebron blows past everything Jordan did it will always be a debate; just as it should be.
    Do you think he's better than Bird? I see a guy who is vastly superior athletically and a better defender on the ball thanks to it as well as a superior finisher at the rim with little else convincingly going in his favor. (Comparing Lebron to Bird).

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan

I have no idea what people like this Boehim guy see, LBJ, as good as he is, he is still not as good as prime Jordan and let's face it, I don't see LBJ getting better as he ages because skills wise, he is nowhere near Jordan. Athletically yes, fundamental skills, um no.
    Boeheim is pretty close to Lebron so it's not really surprising. Lebron isnt keeping pace with Jordan through 9 seasons and he's going to fall off much faster. MJ had the presence of mind and ability to perfect his offensive arsenal and put it to full use before his physical prime left him.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Yeah, you wouldn't ever realistically want to turn down the type of success he still managed to have in his first comeback and it further cemented him. I just find that these days now that he's long gone, when I feel like watching an old Bulls game I instinctively gravitate towards the late 80s-early 90s. When I talk about or rate him, that's the player I have in mind. He didnt need to double his championship count to be the best player there's ever been, or at least a frontrunner for that title. Then again, I weigh peak probably more heavily than anything.
    I'm with you on this. I like to extend it further and look at the play surrounding his peak performance as well. Was he wise beyond his years (beforehand)? Could he adapt to losing some of his abilities (afterwards)? I think it's important to win but expecting someone to match or exceed someone else's career totals is asinine considering all the circumstances that affect winning titles/awards.

[ [ Sickplicity ] ]

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    I'm with you on this. I like to extend it further and look at the play surrounding his peak performance as well. Was he wise beyond his years (beforehand)? Could he adapt to losing some of his abilities (afterwards)? I think it's important to win but expecting someone to match or exceed someone else's career totals is asinine considering all the circumstances that affect winning titles/awards.
    This is why I can't really find the effort to seriously put together a numerically ordered All-Time Great list. The best players I've seen either live or on film are Jordan, Bird and Hakeem. That I do know and feel. How they shake out on the accomplishments and criteria for greatness isn't a great concern for me, all I know is that they validated what I saw from them by getting whatever amount of accolades or numbers or performances you need to get to be considered a top ten player. I like comparing two or three to eachother, but I've never been assed into placing all of them in a specific order.

Banned

LeBetterthantheGOATMichaelJordanreallyevenJimBoehe imsaidsowelltobehonestheisanathleticfreakandbythee ndofhiscareerhewillhaveabout3-5rings4or5mvpsandwillbetop5material James