Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Michael Jordan of ISH

Default Re: How do 6'8-6'11" dudes move like guards?

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    I don't care about your subjective opinions on athleticism, I cared about containing the ignorant lack of logic I sensed in your post about small athletes being superior to big ones. I filled in the blanks for you with an explanation as to why. Now your educated. Your welcome
    Now I'm welcome? Read my last post dipshit.

Are you really dumb enough to take the gamble that a 1 in 1000 would be more athletic than 999 out of 1000? Taking height completely out of the scenario?

You're completely discounting variance and the effect volume can have on a statistic.

Quote Originally Posted by 28renyoy

Are you really dumb enough to take the gamble that a 1 in 1000 would be more athletic than 999 out of 1000? Taking height complete out of the question?

You're completely discounting variance and the effect volume can have on a statistic.
    still babbling on like an idiot after getting owned

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn
    They're genetically gifted.
    No, it's more muscle memory. Look at how any gymnast moves. They can't move that way just because of good genetics. It's just repetition of movement.

You can have good genetics all you want. You're not gonna move more gracefully that some who practices those movements all day unless you put in the practice too.

Michael Jordan of ISH

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Your problem is that you're throwing around words like "athletic" and "athleticism" as if that have 1 uniform meaning. These are very vague words.
    No I am not. I am speaking in terms of athleticism in several diverse fields. I'm taking height completely out of the equation as that is not measured in fields of determining athleticism. That is used in things such as sport, which are a combination of several things including ATHLETICISM.

Take a vertical jump for instance. That is a measure of athleticism, and is not height dependent.

While LeBron James is elite in the field of sport, he is not an elite when it comes to athleticism purely. That is why people generally refer to decathalon athletes. as the greatest athletes in the world. They are elite in virtually every measurement of athletic ability.

Are you really dumb enough to take the gamble that a 1 in 1000 would be more athletic than 999 out of 1000? Taking height completely out of the scenario?

How many 5'10 guys do you think there are in the world for every 6'8 guy? Why are there no 5'10 LeBron's in the NBA?

No I am not. I am speaking in terms of athleticism in several diverse fields. I'm taking height completely out of the equation as that is not measured in fields of determining athleticism. That is used in things such as sport, which are a combination of several things including ATHLETICISM.

Take a vertical jump for instance. That is a measure of athleticism, and is not height dependent.
    Your in over your head, just stop

No, it's more muscle memory. Look at how any gymnast moves. They can't move that way just because of good genetics. It's just repetition of movement.

You can have good genetics all you want. You're not gonna move more gracefully that some who practices those movements all day unless you put in the practice too.
    Obviously, but you pretty much have to be genetically gifted to even be able to practice that kind of stuff. Muscle memory isn't everything and that's why you really can't teach a "stiff" to suddenly become a fluid low post big man.

Yes, but what not understanding is that a 260lbs guy jumping 38 inches in fact does require more athleticism than a 187lbs guy jumping 40 inches.

Michael Jordan of ISH

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    still babbling on like an idiot after getting owned
    HAHAHA how was I owned? Because you rambled about physics when I was clearly exploiting the logical fallacy presented by numbersix when an absurd hypothetical/example?

GTFO old man

Yes, but what not understanding is that a 260lbs guy jumping 38 inches in fact does require more athleticism than a 187lbs guy jumping 40 inches.
    You get it, 28 don't get it

Michael Jordan of ISH

How many 5'10 guys do you think there are in the world for every 6'8 guy? Why are there no 5'10 LeBron's in the NBA?
    Because basketball is not only a measure of athletic ability, but also has a hell of a lot to do with skillset and bodytype.

The same reason there are 7 footers in the NBA that wouldn't even start on some high school teams if they were 6 foot.

Because basketball is not only a measure of athletic ability, but also has a hell of a lot to do with skillset and bodytype.

The same reason there are 7 footers in the NBA that wouldn't even start on some high school teams if they were 6 foot.
    If they were magically transformed into 6 foot version of themselves they'd suddenly appear to be a lot more mobile and athletic... u still don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn
    Obviously, but you pretty much have to be genetically gifted to even be able to practice that kind of stuff. Muscle memory isn't everything and that's why you really can't teach a "stiff" to suddenly become a fluid low post big man.
    Have you ever done something in the field of strengthening your muscle memory? I can tell you, literally anyone can learn unless they have some kind of deficiency. Obviously it takes more time for some and less for others, but genetics doesn't really matter. Anyone can teach their hands to play a piano if they put in the work.

Michael Jordan of ISH

Now you're arguing ability to offset the higher gravitational force exerted upon him, which in large part is due to his frame.

And just so we're clear here, Shaq is the arguably greatest leaper in NBA history?

36" vertical at 303 lbs.

Now you're arguing ability to offset the higher gravitational force exerted upon him, which in large part is due to his frame.

And just so we're clear here, Shaq is the arguably greatest leaper in NBA history?

36" vertical at 303 lbs.
    Would you like me to calculate Shaq's vertical if he were 5'11? I can do that, I have the formulas. Than you'll know what kind of leaper he was in "5'11" terms