Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: The Ego of Lebron James and Usain Bolt

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    not really

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKPbsDO4uds and the dude's like 6'5
    so how does he match up to those guys/girls who do decathlons... those are some impressive stuff.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by SyRyanYang
    Usain Bolt has proved himself over and over again and showed up when matters the most. A true winner. Undisputed GOAT sprinter.
    Can't say the same about Lebron
    Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    I can easily say with 100% certainty that LeBron definitely ISN'T the GOAT sprinter. Not even a close call at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by SyRyanYang
    Dude, seriously, you're trying to hard to be funny. Guess what, you are not
    I beg to differ.

As for the article very "salty" as others have said. But she does (accidentally, I think) hit upon a truth.

A win for LeBron isn't just a win for him, but a win worked for and accomplished by all his other team-mates who passed him the ball, guarded him, dodged, ducked and blocked. LeBron wins because the team has won.
    Aside from the fact she thinks LeBron plays dodgeball (apart from dip and dive she's got the 5 Ds there), there is truth in the fact that LeBron like all basketball players wins as part of a team, it's just odd that to some he's always personally responsible for the loses whether he plays poorly (2011 Finals) or magnificently, but when he wins it's suddenly the team.

So it has always been the team, not 1 individual out of ten who decides basketball games (at least to my mind and it seems the authors). That logic is fine but then that turns into, LeBron's ego has not been earnt (implicit) and he
    [QUOTE]is the younger brother who always tries to act like a grown-up, always talking about his newest BMW, tweeting pictures of his Disney-esque birthday cake and generally living a better life than you do

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by john_d
    so how does he match up to those guys/girls who do decathlons... those are some impressive stuff.
    that's what i'm saying. Bolt's pretty clearly a fast mother****er, fastest mother****er the human race has ever produced. but that doesn't make him the well rounded world class athlete so many NBA players are. i (think?) we agree on that.

it's not a jingoistic nationalistic chest thumping either, clearly there're plenty of guys from all around the world that make you marvel at their athleticism. and the vast, VAST majority are basketball players. defending the sport, not a country.

Saw a basketball once

there are around 360-450 players in the NBA. All of them or most can ball. but only one person can run the 100m in 9.58 seconds. or run the 200m in 19.19 seconds. so clearly, Usain Bolt is the GOAT. Can't be compared to what lebron has accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by i<3basketball
    there are around 360-450 players in the NBA. All of them or most can ball. but only one person can run the 100m in 9.58 seconds. or run the 200m in 19.19 seconds. so clearly, Usain Bolt is the GOAT. Can't be compared to what lebron has accomplished.
    There's a lot more to athleticism than speed. Lebron James combines absurd size, with incredible power and speed. I think he matches up quite well with anyone. If you want to look outside of basketball, then Bo Jackson would be another one. His time was short because of injuries, but based on pure athleticism he was from another planet. Incredible speed, incredible power and much more.

Lebron is more humble than loads of NBA players. His "ego" is greatly exaggerated.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl
    I beg to differ.

As for the article very "salty" as others have said. But she does (accidentally, I think) hit upon a truth.

Aside from the fact she thinks LeBron plays dodgeball (apart from dip and dive she's got the 5 Ds there), there is truth in the fact that LeBron like all basketball players wins as part of a team, it's just odd that to some he's always personally responsible for the loses whether he plays poorly (2011 Finals) or magnificently, but when he wins it's suddenly the team.

So it has always been the team, not 1 individual out of ten who decides basketball games (at least to my mind and it seems the authors). That logic is fine but then that turns into, LeBron's ego has not been earnt (implicit) and he
    where does that laboured metaphor come from.

Finally it's curious that . Curious for two reasons, one because it implies LeBron doesn't, a claim which has no basis and secondly because Bolt himself has admitted that Yohan Blake, his rival trains harder than he does. Even if we ignore the different support teams athletes have, sprinting is not meritorious. Ben Johnson is generally aknowledged to have trained harder than Carl Lewis did. But Johnson couldn't run faster than him (unless, you know, he took a cocktail of performance enhancing drugs).
    This is the basic problem I had with the article (outside of some of the other curious claims), she seems to be attacking the inherent team nature of basketball (and really team sports in general). It's essentially saying that no athlete in a team sport can be a greater athlete than someone in an individual sport because ultimately their accomplishments are based on the hardwork of other people as well as their own, which is a really bogus thing to imply.

Ego shmego... Usain Bolt merely states facts... Hes here to solidify his legend status? He is. Greatest runner of all time? He is. Pathetic weaklings like everyone who is not Usain Bolt cannot even comprehend the reality he lives in.

ar

NBA rookie of the year Kingwillball's Avatar

even in post olympic interviews lebron w buthe asked how great was your year answered its not about me right now its 3 letters on my chest usa and the team..pretty classy if u ask me.

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

Why are people still posting pictures of Carl Lewis in response to comments about Bolt being the GOAT sprinter?

Bolt has already shattered his times and accomplished unprecedented feats in championship meets. It's not even a debate any more.

Yes, he's arrogant as hell, but he does it with such a dose of likability that I personally find it hard to get mad at the guy. Dat Jamaican charisma.