Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: The Ego of Lebron James and Usain Bolt

Bolt is a proven champions and the best in his sports while Lebrick is a proven choker and half champions..

So Bolt has the rights to be cocky..

Quote Originally Posted by KOBE143
    Bolt is a proven champions and the best in his sports while Lebrick is a proven choker and half champions..

So Bolt has the rights to be cocky..

Lebronyte Kryptonite

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    Article about Lebron James and Usain Bolt from the Guardian, interested in what some of you may think about it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...ron-james-egos
    The comparison really makes no sense. Bolt has dominated at the top of his sport since '08. IIRC, I don't think he's ever failed to qualify for the Olympics or lost an Olympic event. He has no rivals to speak of, so his ego trip, is justified. Lebron hasn't yet dominated the NBA like Bolt has in Track, therefore this comparison is way off.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave
    Honestly basketball players get a bad rap.

LeBron doesn't do anywhere near the crazy antics Bolt does, nor have I ever heard him refer to himself as a "living legend". I've never heard Jordan himself say he's the best basketball player ever. Kobe is respectful too.

The "Decision" TV special was a massive PR mistake, LeBron knows that, it was a mistake.
    This. Big a mistake as The Decision was imagine Lebron getting on the mic once they won the title and saying (verbatim) "I'm now a legend, I'm the greatest athlete to live." Bolt's got all the reasons in the world to boast, but Lebron doesn't approach his level of arrogance.

Doesn't even need to be Lebron. Put Tyson Gay in Bolt's spot saying the same shit. He wouldn't be this lovably cocky dude from the little upstart nation. He'd be the Ugly American.

Why is she even comparing the two? I personally haven't seen LeBron pull off arrogant cocky shit anywhere on the level of Bolt's, the Decision was the worst stunt he pulled but that does not warrant such comparison.

LeBron is a potential top 10 player (I refuse to rank anyone before there career is over) but to me he seems to have acquired situational narcissism. So if anything I feel bad for a guy being a product of his environment....Having the type of lifestyle he had as a kid, suddenly being thrust into the medias eye put on a pedestal with all that money...Sadly, it happens

"As Millman correctly notes, the celebrity's life is abnormal. The adulation is often justified and plentiful, the feedback biased and filtered, the criticism muted and belated, social control either lacking or excessive and vitriolic. Such vicissitudinal existence is not conducive to mental health even in the most balanced person.

The confluence of a person's narcissistic predisposition and his pathological life circumstances gives rise to ASN. Acquired Situational Narcissism borrows elements from both the classic Narcissistic Personality Disorder - ingrained and all-pervasive - and from Transient or Reactive Narcissism.

Celebrities are, therefore, unlikely to "heal" once their fame or wealth or might are gone. Instead, their basic narcissism merely changes form. It continues unabated, as insidious as ever - but modified by life's ups and downs.

In a way, all narcissistic disturbances are acquired. Patients acquire their pathological narcissism from abusive or overbearing parents, from peers, and from role models. Narcissism is a defense mechanism designed to fend off hurt and danger brought on by circumstances - such as celebrity - beyond the person's control.

Social expectations play a role as well. Celebrities try to conform to the stereotype of a creative but spoiled, self-centered, monomaniacal, and emotive individual. A tacit trade takes place. We offer the famous and the powerful all the Narcissistic Supply they crave - and they, in turn, act the consummate, fascinating albeit repulsive, narcissists."

Take it with a grain of salt but have a gander

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ssist-part-1-2

Quote Originally Posted by swi7ch
    When you:

* win the MVP
    * championship
    * finals MVP
    * olympic gold

...all in the same year, you get a free pass to be as arrogant as you want.
    you should still not wear t-shirts with your own face on

Quote Originally Posted by bmd
    Nobody has ever won both the 100 and the 200 in two consecutive Olympics.

He holds the world record in both.

He's the fastest man to ever run the 100m in the history of the world, and he's also the fastest man to ever run the 200m in the history of the world.

He's got the 100 meter dash record by a huge amount. I don't think 9.58 will be broken anytime soon unless he breaks his own record.

The next fastest times ever recorded are:

yeah,yeah....he can run fast for 10 and 20 sec........big fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]king deal......it does not take skills, like playing basketball does for 100 games a year......noone but himself gets joy of 10 secs of running.......Lebron and other b-ball players brings joy and fun to entire citys...........

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Kid7

To be fair, if you go into sports you have to have an ego. If you don't, you'll get crushed by the media, competitors, etc.
    Tim Duncan?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tomtucker
    yeah,yeah....he can run fast for 10 and 20 sec........big fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]king deal......it does not take skills, like playing basketball does for 100 games a year......noone but himself gets joy of 10 secs of running.......Lebron and other b-ball players brings joy and fun to entire citys...........
    do u kno how many ppl watched bolt in silence for those sec? billions..

jongib369's post can basically be summed up in "give em the shine, don't be surprised when they bask in it."

it's a legitimate, I don't know, I don't want to say problem because it's not like Lebron's playing style does anything but make the game beautiful to anyone but the most disillusioned viewer, but beyond that, it's this culture of creating superstars before they've earned it.

sports culture as a whole, basketball specifically, has gotten really...abnormal in the hero worship realm. I don't know, maybe it's because while the Pacers have had plenty of really good teams throughout my life they've never been THE team, the favorite, whatever you want to call it. so I'm "out of the loop" in supporting a superstar or whatever. or just different definitions of the word, which absolutely is the case for me.

It's just weird the way people attach themselves to players. Teams and franchises are just as dumb, but at least I can see a somewhat logical explaination. I buy jerseys, tix, my taxes build the arena, etc etc. It's still just rooting for laundry in the end, but I don't know, as an outsider it just feels like the big market fans aren't rooting for anything but mercenaries.

And NO THAT'S NOT A BAD THING. It's a basketball game, not India v. iran, there're no dire consequences, root for whomever the hell you want. Just feels inorganic.

Lebronyte Kryptonite

Quote Originally Posted by tomtucker
    Yeah...cuz according to you...ANYBODY can do what Bolt does. Which is exactly why NOBODY has done it better than him since 2008...right?

Quote Originally Posted by LakersReign
    Yeah...cuz according to you...ANYBODY can do what Bolt does. Which is exactly why NOBODY has done it better than him since 2008...right?
    Lol first time I've ever agreed with you.

I think Bolt is the greatest sprinter in recent/recorded memory. But the greatest athlete?, i think not even close. If he can hurl those heavy ass Ball they use or do high jumps... maybe...

In basketball terms; he dunk the ball but can't shoot for sh!t...

Quote Originally Posted by john_d
    I think Bolt is the greatest sprinter in recent/recorded memory. But the greatest athlete?, i think not even close. If he can hurl those heavy ass Ball they use or do high jumps... maybe...

In basketball terms; he dunk the ball but can't shoot for sh!t...
    not really

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKPbsDO4uds and the dude's like 6'5