Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: LeBron joins Jordan as the only players to MVP, F-MVP and Gold medal in same year

Quote Originally Posted by LeBird
    If Jordan was faced with the kind of franchise Lebron had then he would have left. Unlike Lebron who was playing for his home state, Jordan didn't even have that allegiance.

Pretending as if other greats purposely sought after dire situations to prove themselves is stupid beyond belief.
    I know you don't like Jordan, but come on.... home state? how is that relevant? that could not have been more biased....

Default Re: LeBron joins Jordan as the only players to MVP, F-MVP and Gold medal in same year

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    I know you don't like Jordan, but come on.... home state? how is that relevant? that could not have been more biased....
    After what I wrote that is what you picked up? The implication often is that X player was loyal and Lebron wasn't. My point is that even if that is the gripe, then you thinking Jordan staying because he was loyal is laughable compared to the fact that Lebron was actually playing for Cleveland, in his home state. Jordan stayed because the Bulls paid him handsomely and set him up with teammates to win a championship. Cleveland didn't do the same for Lebron so the comparison is inane. The idea that Jordan would've stayed in that kind of situation is pretty stupid - Jordan was already getting tired towards the end of the period before his first title and even joked about retirement IIRC.

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeBird
    After what I wrote that is what you picked up? The implication often is that X player was loyal and Lebron wasn't. My point is that even if that is the gripe, then you thinking Jordan staying because he was loyal is laughable compared to the fact that Lebron was actually playing for Cleveland, in his home state. Jordan stayed because the Bulls paid him handsomely and set him up with teammates to win a championship. Cleveland didn't do the same for Lebron so the comparison is inane. The idea that Jordan would've stayed in that kind of situation is pretty stupid - Jordan was already getting tired towards the end of the period before his first title and even joked about retirement IIRC.
    , Jordan was underpaid big time for several years, and took paycuts to keep talent around him, where do u come up with this bullshit. Also he came to a shitty franchise and stayed

Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf bought the team for less than $20 million midway through Jordan's rookie season. Through some shrewd marketing (most of which revolved around Jordan), Jordan's presence both on and off the court and a significant upgrading of the overall talent, the team in now valued at $100 million.

In his rookie season alone, Jordan revived the Chicago franchise. The Bulls' attendance was just 6,365 a game the year before Jordan arrived. In 1984-85, despite another poor record, Chicago went to 11,887. For the last four years, Chicago Stadium has been full virtually every night. Television and radio contracts have skyrocketed and advertising revenues have risen to a level that not even Reinsdorf could have hoped.

"If I wanted to be greedy, I could make a lot more money," said Jordan. "I'm not a greedy person. But I like to get paid for what I'm worth. I like to make what I deserve. But I never try to overdo it. If I really wanted to make a lot of money and spread myself thin, I could do it. I could make $15,000 or $20,000 an appearance or sign basketballs for $50 a ball.

"If I was greedy, I could do that. Or I could sit here and cry about my contract, make it a big issue. And it would be a valid argument. I don't do that. I have never griped about other people making money. Hot Rod Williams made his money? Good. He was in position to do that.

Go read the rest of the article and learn something

Haha, I don't mean relative to other millionaire sportsmen I mean relative to the ordinary person. He was living a life of privilege - he wasn't living at his mom's house waiting for a miracle and his team to go champs just to stay loyal to the Bulls. Regardless, he was still well-paid and made a shitload on endorsements.

The idea that Jordan was willing to stay at the Bulls even if they never gave him the right team, and continuously lose, is incredible. You do a disservice to him and his intelligence. And your own.