Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Let's talk about Wilt Chamberlain unbiasedly

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    Let me go by this logic.

Explain to me why Kobe shot a pathetic 9-30 FG vs Nick Young in 2012?
    Nick Young must be an amazing all-time great
    Kobe has had a TON of games like that in his career. It didn't make a difference who was guarding him. Conversely, he has had a TON of explosions against even the "Kobe-stoppers" like Bruce Bowen, Ruben Patterson, and Doug Christy.

BTW, you are citing ONE game. An OLD Kareem, ages 38 to 41, averaged 23 ppg and shot .607 in his 23 career H2H's against a 23-26 year old Hakeem. And, in their first TEN STRAIGHT GAMES, Kareem averaged 32 ppg on .633 shooting, which included THREE games of 40, 43, and 46 points. Hakeem only held him to under 50% shooting in THREE of those 23 games BTW.
    Last edited by jlauber; 08-09-2012 at 02:11 AM.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    We'll never know, of course, but I think those numbers would be very reasonable (and probably more bpg.)

Much of it would depend on his surrounding personnel, and coaching philosophies, as well. On a poor roster, those numbers would probably be close. On a decent team, I suspect that his scoring would drop to the 25 ppg level, but perhaps on .600+ shooting. But he would still occasionally hang a 40-50 point game.

In any case, with his size, strength, length, athleticism, and skills, he would probably dominate the current NBA.
    Yup...The 2000s Is The Era With the Worst Centers Ive Seen. Rule Changes have Favored Outside Play Too Much IMO

24ppg 12rebounds 52% 2blocks freethrow-36%

Local High School Star

Too hard to project numbers for Wilt, in part because of the general problems with "time travel" projections and because Wilt's numbers fluctuated so much (though always impressive) depending on factors including competition, skill level of teammates and especially his role. So I won't project numbers out of context becuase I don't know if he'd be a hyperdominant scorer on good percentages, or leading scorer in an ensemble offense on ridiculous %s whilst also being a distributor and defensive anchor (I think I'd prefer to see the latter). Anyway the numbers most people are suggesting don't seem unrealisitic, and it seems safe to say he'd be very good indeed.

No it wouldn't.
    And I didn't mean players like Wilt and West would be total scrubs.
    So at the end of the day, you can only dominate the era you are in. Basketball greatness transcend eras bruh that's a FACT. They've got the hardware, the talents and the skill, adapting to the new rules would be easy as f*ck. Nutrition and advanced training? all can be achieved.

Kobe has had a TON of games like that in his career. It didn't make a difference who was guarding him. Conversely, he has had a TON of explosions against even the "Kobe-stoppers" like Bruce Bowen, Ruben Patterson, and Doug Christy.

BTW, you are citing ONE game. An OLD Kareem, ages 38 to 41, averaged 23 ppg and shot .607 in his 23 career H2H's against a 23-26 year old Hakeem. And, in their first TEN STRAIGHT GAMES, Kareem averaged 32 ppg on .633 shooting, which included THREE games of 40, 43, and 46 points. Hakeem only held him to under 50% shooting in THREE of those 23 games BTW.
    Nick Young has held Kobe to the following FG-FGA games:

7-24
    5-17
    4-11
    9-31

A combined 25-81 FG

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1&p2=youngni01

Nick Young. All-Time Great

Local High School Star

7-24
    5-17
    4-11
    9-31

A combined 25-81 FG

Not that I necessarily support relatively small samples of if you wish to make big conclusions (depending on what a person is trying to claim and what additional evidence they support).

But what you're doing is picking and choosing matches, which Jlauber isn't. Over the totality of their matchups his fg% .453 is almost identical to his fg% leaguewide over that period (08/09 to 11/12) .452 . So if you're willing to pick and choose, Kobe having some ugly fg% performances isn't that rare (his efficiency, in as far as Kobe is efficient, comes from his ability to get to the line), but making conclusions based off doing that is different than taking all matchups over a period.

3-time NBA All-Star

7-24
    5-17
    4-11
    9-31

A combined 25-81 FG

And overall to 25.7 ppg on .453 shooting in nine games.

Hardly representative of an OLD Kareem averaging 32.0 ppg on .633 shooting over the course of TEN STRAIGHT games against Hakeem, and in their 23 CAREER H2H's, averaging 23 ppg on .607 shooting. Oh, and in those 23 H2H's, Kareem shot better than 50% in 20 of them; better than 60% in 12 of them, and better than 70% in five of them.

NBA rookie of the year

And overall to 25.7 ppg on .453 shooting in nine games.

Hardly representative of an OLD Kareem averaging 32.0 ppg on .633 shooting over the course of TEN STRAIGHT games against Hakeem, and in their 23 CAREER H2H's, averaging 23 ppg on .607 shooting. Oh, and in those 23 H2H's, Kareem shot better than 50% in 20 of them; better than 60% in 12 of them, and better than 70% in five of them.
    In which he didn't get guarded by Akeem in all of them...

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    In which he didn't get guarded by Akeem in all of them...
    Go ahead and give us the VIDEO FOOTAGE of the games that Hakeem did NOT guard Kareem. And yes, it was SAMPSON who guarded Kareem in the '86 WCF's.

NBA rookie of the year

Go ahead and give us the VIDEO FOOTAGE of the games that Hakeem did NOT guard Kareem. And yes, it was SAMPSON who guarded Kareem in the '86 WCF's.
    You're the one who claims he guarded Kareem in every one of those games, you're the one who's supposed to prove it.

I had a game on my laptop from '85, not a full game but in that game Kareem was guarded even more by Petersen than Olajuwon and Sampson was the one who did the main job on him.

Now you've provided us with articles that proves that Kareem was guarded in plenty of them match-ups as well but I don't like your assumptions at all, you're always assuming the worst when it comes to other players and when it comes to your beloved Wilt you're doing the direct opposite.

And why are you in this thread anyway? You've never written a word without bias about Wilt.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    You're the one who claims he guarded Kareem in every one of those games, you're the one who's supposed to prove it.

I had a game on my laptop from '85, not a full game but in that game Kareem was guarded even more by Petersen than Olajuwon and Sampson was the one who did the main job on him.

Now you've provided us with articles that proves that Kareem was guarded in plenty of them match-ups as well but I don't like your assumptions at all, you're always assuming the worst when it comes to other players and when it comes to your beloved Wilt you're doing the direct opposite.

And why are you in this thread anyway? You've never written a word without bias about Wilt.
    This coming from the clown who goes OUT OF HIS WAY to bash Wilt in every topic about him.

And too bad the 40 point game against Hakeem was removed from YouTube, but in it Kareem was clearly (un)GUARDED by Hakeem. It was laughable. And that wasn't even close to Kareem's best game against HAKEEM, either.

NBA rookie of the year

This coming from the clown who goes OUT OF HIS WAY to bash Wilt in every topic about him.

And too bad the 40 point game against Hakeem was removed from YouTube, but in it Kareem was clearly (un)GUARDED by Hakeem. It was laughable. And that wasn't even close to Kareem's best game against HAKEEM, either.
    Hakeem was a rookie and a 2nd year pro you retard, he was NO WHERE close to his prime, why is that so hard to understand? And the same Olajuwon destroyed Jabbar in the '86 playoffs as a 2nd year pro. Your nonsense about some regular season games is pathetic, we know that Hakeem destroyed Jabbar in the playoffs, THE SAME YEAR..

And no, I don't diss Wilt, I diss your worthless credibility.

If david Robinson could why couldn't wilt get 70 something points ?

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    If david Robinson could why couldn't wilt get 70 something points ?
    Robinson scored 70 once, and he did it against the worst team in the league.