Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Oscar Robertson should be a lock in the top ten

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Huh...it's like jlauber II. If you aren't related to him, he's going to nut himself once he finds your first 20 posts.
    I don't see anything wrong with briefly mentioning a player who possibly averaged a Quad on a thread about a player whose famous for averaging a triple. I'm not posting bibles, nor am I shoving facts down anyone's throat. I'm trying to be as humble as possible, I love this game and it's history...It's a basketball forum aren't we supposed to express that on here?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_luzf6tJLr81qfhek7.gif

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    I don't see anything wrong with briefly mentioning a player who possibly averaged a Quad on a thread about a player whose famous for averaging a triple. I'm not posting bibles, nor am I shoving facts down anyone's throat. I'm trying to be as humble as possible, I love this game and it's history...It's a basketball forum aren't we supposed to express that on here?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_luzf6tJLr81qfhek7.gif
    No, I wasn't saying you're as bad or annoying like jlauber. Just some of your posts in this thread have been very jlauber-esque (in what's in the posts, not length). What you're posting is fine, and you're not posting stat after stat in 7-page essay form.

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    I don't doubt that he did or could get quad doubles....

Nobody is debating Wilt's dominance......and the scoring was done differently in past eras

Wilt beasting on the league shouldn't diminish what the Big O did

haha whoops we had a missunderstanding...I just said that literally for fun facts...Wasn't trying to shove facts down anyone's throat..I didn't think you were doubting, and I didn't intend to come off like I was diminishing Oscar.

oh okay, mind telling me what is jlauber esque? Just the Wilt Chamberlain thing? After reading a ton of threads on here I noticed people usually don't take his opinions seriously...so if theirs any way I can improve my posts I'm open ears

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    I've read your other posts. You trying to sound all diplomatic acting like a fan of Kobe's, but you aren't. You bring up Lebron while the thread has nothing to do with him. obvious agenda.
    Since when is it a bad thing trying not to offend people? Not to be sanctimonious or anything, but a lot of people attack others opinions on here...I'm not into that. The user LikeABosh posted this

"You say he should be a lock for top 10 but who is he ahead of? Jordan, Wilt, Russell, Bird, Magic, Duncan, Shaq, Hakeem, Kobe, Lebron, Jabar?"

and I replied even though it wasn't directed at me...I don't have an agenda, Kobe is the second best SG of all time IMO. Thats not an agenda against kobe making a tough decision out of all those HOF players.

Just to mention, I'm from chicago and never had an opportunity to go to a game because of financial reasons...This upcoming season I plan on seeing a Bulls laker game to watch my 2 favorite active* players...Rose and Kobe. Just saying you don't know me, why be so quick to judge? :P
    Last edited by jongib369; 08-01-2012 at 03:56 PM.

AK47DR91
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    In basketball winning and accolades supersede stats for most people's lists. If this were baseball he would easily be top 5.
    It's just the way the NBA is, it's a superstar league. Always have been like this.

Just compare Finals MVP to World Series MVP or Super Bowl MVP, the Finals MVP is the one with mostly Hall of Famers and all-time greats. World Series, you get guys like Renteria, Eckstein, Wetteland. Same with Super Bowl, Dexter Jackson, Deione Branch, Rypein, etc. Both baseball and football are more of a team sport, so anybody can step it up at anytime. Not to say that the NBA isn't a team sport, but it's the least "team sport" compared to the NFL, MLB and NHL.

Fair or not, but the #1(or #1b) option on an NBA team will get most of the glory when his team wins but also get the most blame if his team loses.

Troll who tries to provoke you

Fact # 1: Big O will NEVER EVER Drop out of Top 10 GOAT no matter what kobe, LBJ, Duncan do from here on out.

Fact # 2: Big O probably had the greatest ever Rookie year on the scrubs franchise.

Fact # 3: Big O transformed the game statistically. Even the likes of Bird, Jordan & Magic never came close.

Big O is a guaranteed "LOCK" as Top 10 GOAT.

Case Closed.

Quote Originally Posted by INDI
    Many people say that he's never won an mvp, but when I look it up he won in 63-64. He also has a championship and multiple all-star/all nba team selections.

but every top ten player has those (it's a must). The main reason i believe this dude should be considered top ten is because of his insane stats. He is currently the only player EVER to average a triple double for a season and came close to doing it 3 other times

60-61 30.5ppg 9.7asts 10.1reb
    rookie of the year

61-62 30.8ppg 11.4asts 12.5reb

62-63 28.3ppg 9.5asts 10.4reb
    consider this an off year

63-64 31.4ppg 11.0asts 9.9reb
    mvp year

in his 14 year career he ended with a average of 25.7ppg 9.5 asts and 7.5 reb. shot 48% from the field and 83% from the line

Whats the reasoning for leaving him out when he has a case for top 5 yet alone is never mentioned in people's top ten. You can't say its era because then we should take out Wilt and Russell.

not to mention he was a point guard putting up ridicoulous numbers like this

Local High School Star

oh okay, mind telling me what is jlauber esque? Just the Wilt Chamberlain thing? After reading a ton of threads on here I noticed people usually don't take his opinions seriously...so if theirs any way I can improve my posts I'm open ears
    The Jlauber history.
    He is (to my mind anyway) a knowledgeable poster on basketball history.
    He posts a lot on Wilt, but equally a lot of people bait him into talking about Wilt so ...
    He inspired an appreciation type thread recently http://insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272328
    There are suggestions that he has changed his opinions/been inconsistent, perhaps to a degree that makes him flaky or unreliable. I don't know about this, it's possible that ambiguites in meaning and vagueness in definitions when talking about era cover this, TBH it's been a while time since I looked into it but the argument about this took place in this thread http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=195147 (as I recall it gets heated and strongly focused on minutiae and I got bored with it).
    He has pet theories one example of which is Chamberlain outplayed KA-J who in turn outplayed Olajuwon when they played versus each other though I forget what this is usually used to prove or suggest, an idea he call bridging which would be fine for drawing limited conclusion in combination with other evidence.
    He posts long long multi-post responses which he recycles. To some extent given the amount of time many posters end up reposting the same arguments and info and reformulating it this is probably a smart time saving device but to some it comes off as cut and pasting. Also the longer chains of posts are poorly suited to the format of a forum.
    Oh and he's been nothing but polite to me personally in any conversations.

Anyway with regard to improving your posts you seem fine you've already got +2 rep (a - rep is a pretty good indication of a troll, a positive one usually suggest a good poster though very occasionally I see reasonably high ones I can't fathom) which after so few posts suggests good posting, fwiw it has much as I have in considerably longer(albeit much of my posting was in time when repping had been stopped).

And regarding not offending people a lot of people use this/any forum to pick arguments. I'm not above arguing but I'd like to think I'm open minded to learning/being persuaded. Basically you learn whether people are worth debating with or worth ignoring.

I haven't seen the schedule but I don't know whether there will be a game in which a fit Rose takes on LA.

Anyhow welcome to the forum

You're fine, and jlauber is a good and knowledgeable poster. It can just get exhausting seeing him post insanely long and recycled posts. I've learned a lot from him, though. I'm just in the Bill Russell camp because I place more of an emphasis on winning than some when compiling their top 10, 20, whatever. That's also why I have Oscar just outside my top 10. Just like with me constantly going back-and-forth and always switching Shaq, Duncan, and Kobe at spots 7-10, I have a hard time making up my mind on spots 11-13 between Oscar, West, and Moses Malone.

Quote Originally Posted by gengiskhan
    Fact # 1: Big O will NEVER EVER Drop out of Top 10 GOAT no matter what kobe, LBJ, Duncan do from here on out.

Fact # 2: Big O probably had the greatest ever Rookie year on the scrubs franchise.

Fact # 3: Big O transformed the game statistically. Even the likes of Bird, Jordan & Magic never came close.

Big O is a guaranteed "LOCK" as Top 10 GOAT.

Case Closed.
    what if 10 people come along and each avgs at least 35-15-15 thru their respective careers of at least 14 years? and they all shoot at least 60/50/95????

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    what if 10 people come along and each avgs at least 35-15-15 thru their respective careers of at least 14 years? and they all shoot at least 60/50/95????
    than the lock gets busted

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

The Big-O never won ANYTHING until Kareem showed up.

And bringing up stats in this thread is pointless. A prime Oscar Robertson would average AT MOST 6 rpg in today's league and I doubt he reaches double digit assists because you have to be a great ball handler to average 10 apg in today's league, and Oscar Robertson wasn't a great ball handler.
    Last edited by 1987_Lakers; 08-01-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    The Big-O never won ANYTHING until Kareem showed up.

And bringing up stats in this thread is pointless. A prime Oscar Robertson would average AT MOST 6 rpg in today's league and I doubt he reaches double digit assists because you have to be a great ball handler to averaged 10 apg in today's league, and Oscar Robertson wasn't a great ball handler.
    you sound super convincing

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Thank you.