Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Decent playground baller

Default Re: Magic Johnson vs Larry Bird. Year-by-Year.

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    I would give Magic in '85 but the rest is correct and I think most people already know this though, at least the people that know anything about the two.
    Bird was the better player in 1985 and it really wasn't close.

Bird slipped a bit in the finals that year with a thumb injury, but was otherwise at the top of his game for the majority of the 1985 season.

I remember that season well, and Bird was the consensus pick as the best player in the league. Much like what we're seeing with Lebron right now, he was at his peak and nobody else was really in the conversation.

1985 stats: PPG RPG APG SPG BPG FG% 3P% FT%

Bird: 28.7 10.5 6.6 1.61 1.23 .522 .427 .882
    Magic: 18.3 6.2 12.6 1.5 0.3 .561 .189 .843

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by LeBird
    Players have off days and Bird is no different. It's strange since Bird is up there with the most clutch players of all time - in any sport IMO - but that was a game where he wasn't at his best.

Regardless, the comparison is flawed. Bird had to deal with Magic's much superior team and Magic had to deal with a team that almost entirely depended on Bird. Just look at their college basketball numbers: it. is. not. even. close.

I have to reiterate - since I seem to be a bigger Bird fan, especially here - that I think Magic was, well, simply Magical. He is one of the GOAT. But in the beginning of his career Bird was simply just that much better and it showed.

As an aside, I am always amazed why basketball fans put so much credence in certain opinions with such small samples to back it up.
    It was also much easier for the Spartans to surround and bother Bird, which they did during the most of game, than for the Sycamores to do the same to Magic because of Michigan State's depth advantage.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by clipps
    Fixed. FMVP > ROY
    I disagree when you're talking about who had the better year.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by nycelt84
    1988- Bird. If Jordan didn't have such a strong season Larry would have again been MVP otherwise I agree with the OP.
    It's really close.

Bird had his best statistical year, offensively speaking, and as you said, came in second in MVP voting.

But in fairness, given Magic's great post-season run, I'm inclined to give him the nod for having the better season.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Magic averaged a rounded up triple double in 1982 and won Finals MVP. I would put that ahead of Bird's 82 season.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe 4 The Win
    Bird played like shit in the final and he admits this. So he owned the NCAA as a whole. Except Magic.

That's only one game, and as I noted, Michigan State had the luxury of paying way more attention to Bird than Indiana State could give to Magic.

Not taking anything away from Magic here, as he had a great game and deserved the accolades that came along with it, but Bird was the more dominant player throughout the rest of the season and tournament. Just watch the DePaul game.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Magic averaged a rounded up triple double in 1982 and won Finals MVP. I would put that ahead of Bird's 82 season.
    Again, I agree this is another close season between the two. Those numbers from Magic are hard to argue with. This was a great comeback season for him, too.

Too bad the '81-'82 season couldn't have been a Celtics/Lakers final. Archibald's knee injury in the ECF against Philly crippled Boston's chance to defend its title.

I would've been really interesting to see Magic and Bird meet in the finals this early in their careers; the outcome would've also had a direct impact on this debate.
    Last edited by Champ; 08-01-2012 at 11:30 AM.

1980 - tie
    1981 - bird
    1982 - magic
    1983 - bird
    1984 - bird
    1985 - bird
    1986 - bird
    1987-1991 - magic

magic's 1982 season has to be one of the most overlooked ever. he went 18.5/9.5/9.5, led the league in steals with 2.7 and was finals mvp. imagine if he didn't have to share the ball with 3 other guys who averaged close to or over 20ppg a game.....magic was 4th on the lakers that year in shot attempts per game

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Champ
    Bird was the better player in 1985 and it really wasn't close.

Bird slipped a bit in the finals that year with a thumb injury, but was otherwise at the top of his game for the majority of the 1985 season.

I remember that season well, and Bird was the consensus pick as the best player in the league. Much like what we're seeing with Lebron right now, he was at his peak and nobody else was really in the conversation.
    Are we comparing their seasons or how good they were? I give Magic the edge because he played better overall in the post-season specifically in that Finals.

Plus, Bird got a thumb injury but he suffered that injury on his own since he got into a bar fight. It's not like he just happened to have hurt it or something. It was his own fault he got that thumb injury in the first place. It's not an excuse for Bird, if anything that is a black mark for Bird.

I would consider giving Magic in '82 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ
    That's only one game, and as I noted, Michigan State had the luxury of paying way more attention to Bird than Indiana State could give to Magic.

Not taking anything away from Magic here, as he had a great game and deserved the accolades that came along with it, but Bird was the more dominant player throughout the rest of the season and tournament. Just watch the DePaul game.
    Excuses. That was only one game but it just happened to be the most important game of their college careers and a game in which they competed directly with one another. This is a results oriented world we live in and all excuses in the world cant take away these simple facts. Bird competed against Magic in the final, he didn't play well, and he lost. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe 4 The Win
    Excuses. That was only one game but it just happened to be the most important game of their college careers and a game in which they competed directly with one another. This is a results oriented world we live in and all excuses in the world cant take away these simple facts. Bird competed against Magic in the final, he didn't play well, and he lost. Period.
    In sports if you want to say a player is better than another player - in a given year or overall - you need a bigger sample than 1 game. This is merely straw-clutching on your behalf.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    I would give Magic in '85 but the rest is correct and I think most people already know this though, at least the people that know anything about the two.
    You have to be joking. The 1985 season was probably Larry Bird's Greatest season. There is no way you can give Magic 85. Larry Bird was the MVP of the season. Just because the Celtics lost to the Lakers in the finals that doesn't mean Magicwas better that season. He wasn't even the FMVP, Kareem was.
    Last edited by Smoke117; 08-01-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeBird
    In sports if you want to say a player is better than another player - in a given year or overall - you need a bigger sample than 1 game. This is merely straw-clutching on your behalf.
    How can you be the best player if you don't play well when it matters the most? Also, at what point did I say that this 1 game is what my entire opinion is based on? It's an important benchmark used as an example.

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

it's acknowledged by everybody that Magic and Bird's popularity ushered in the modern nba...ratings, game show on tv live....finals airing LIVE,etc

Nobody since russell in the 1960s has gotten 3 consecutive mvp awards except Bird. Do you think it's a legit accomplishment, or do you think it was the league and reporters working to market the nba to white audience?

not Jordan,KAJ, Magic,Moses,Shaq, Duncan,Dream,...literally nobody else has done it.

I say there's no legit way that anyone can say that Bird enjoyed the most dominant 3 year stretch(relative to other players) in the NBA....post 1970..and that the 3 consecutive mvps were bullshit, to promote a white superstar to mainstream audiences.

Bird was in fact a Great player....an alltime great..legit superstar and winner..but I'm calling bull on the fact that he got award three straight years ...first and only player since Russell.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

The most dominant 3 year run was by Jordan. In fact it was so dominant that it lasted for 7 years.