Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314
    7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Magic Johnson vs Larry Bird. Year-by-Year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Who was the better playoff performer? Whose level of play went down considerably the bigger the games got their first four years? Whose level of play got better the bigger the games got their first 4 years? Who was the better clutch player til that point? You need paper for that? In 1982 the league was very excited about Bird looking like he was as ready, and when Magic got caught up in that coach mess the league needed somebody to concentrate on because it had definitely built up some momentum with Magic and Bird. Malone wasn't the man you could turn to - and Bird was ripe. Otherwise, Magic gets significantly more votes than he ended up with. Afterall, Magic was proven on the big stage. That MVP count was much like DH's last year - it wasn't about the play.

Bird did have a better skill set... until the playoffs hit. All of a sudden Magic shoots 100 percentage points better and even shoots a better FT percentage and they score an almost identical amount per game. Magic executes significantly better, shows better judgement of when to shoot or pass, and rebounds pretty much at the same clip. Who handled the ball better? Who passed better? Which player could play at two speeds? Whose team looked more organized under pressure? Who created more chaos for the other team?

Which player was affected by good defenses more? Which player found more ways to win?
    Which player was the primary focus of opposing defenses? As Bill Russell said in the '82 finals "When you talk about the Lakers, you start with number 33."

Bird was playing the Kareem role if you will as the number 1 option to go along with his own brilliant passing, rebounding that was also second to none at his position and defense that was superior to Magic's.

You can praise Magic's all around game all you want, and it was great, even by his 3rd year, but Bird was also one of the great all around players who has ever played, and unlike Magic in '82, he was an excellent scorer who you could go to when you needed a basket, regardless of if you were in your half court set.

Quote Originally Posted by aau
    wow
    Rather than quote that mess, I'm just going to say what I've always said to you. If you want me to engage in any sort of discussion with you, try writing your posts like an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    You haven't posted much but from what I see of you, I never see an agenda. You are uncommonly balanced.
    Cheers, I hope so!

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    I think the thing with Magic Johnson is a 6'9" point guard is just so disruptive and creates crazy matchup problems. Bird used to create match-up problems on offense too, as the guys tall enough to guard him, usually weren't quick enough on the perimeter. Then if you put a smaller guy on him, he would take them inside. But this is still not nearly the matchup problems that Magic caused.

Magic was a threat to go coast-to-coast after any missed shot. Then in a half-court set, he almost always could see over or pass over the top of the defense. And once Magic's outside shot improved, he was just an offensive threat from virtually anywhere.

Magic's height and mobility allowed him to get so many easy baskets in his career. If the defense wasn't set, he could pretty much get to the rim on anyone. His FG% for his career is .520. That is pretty crazy for a point guard. Steve Nash is a crazy shooter now, but his career percentage is still under 50%. John Stockton's is .515 and he took 4 shots less per game than Magic.

Is there any top 15 point guard with a higher FG%?
    This KNYC, Magic had the best judgment of when to shoot and when not to. Along with when to dribble/lob or bounce pass/push/slow down/delay attack/create/ put pressure on, Magic was on a level by himself (Nash, Kidd and CP get props tho). He did it efficienctly and with great control. He could incorporate Kurt Rambis into the offense if he saw him not getting rebounds - and Kurt wasn't made for offense. He would make the play slightly in front of players so that his teammate would catch up to the play - this kept his teammates alert and active. Magic could beat you in the chess match and if you got too mental he would beat you athletically. The mental skill mix belonged to Magic.

There were definitely more skilled players than Magic... but there no players that knew when to use which skill better than Magic.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Rather than quote that mess, I'm just going to say what I've always said to you. If you want me to engage in any sort of discussion with you, try writing your posts like an adult.
    wow , shaq

i'm impressed . . you actually replied

wasn't expecting that . . . . . wasn't expecting you to come off like
    a pompous bhitch neither , as if we've been going at it for years

not even close

you and i have had one , count it , ONE debate a long long
    time ago , , about shaq being the first option and kobe
    going outside the offense , , , obviously you caught
    feelings as we havn't exchanged a word since

why you trying to come off as if we have , i'm not sure

just know that it's not a good look either way

either reply , or stfu and keep it pushin

like you been doin

Very good NBA starter

wow , shaq

not even close

like you been doin

Shit getting real lmao

7-time NBA All-Star

wow , shaq

not even close

like you been doin
    Actually, I didn't even remember that particular debate. Although if you're a clown who disputes that Shaq was the 1st option too(and that's the only way I could imagine us having a debate about the "subject"), then that tells me all I need to know about your NBA knowledge, or lack thereof. The only thing memorable about you is how obnoxious and nonsensical your posting style is.

If you do have any intelligent points to be made, why don't you try composing your posts in a way that highlight them, not distract from them with this type of drivel.

Don't expect me to engage in any sort of debates with you in the future. You don't seem like much of a challenge, however, it seems that the English language is giving you all of the challenges you can handle.