Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: The official jlauber and Wilt Chamberlain thread

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    The man thinks Wilt dunked from the freethrow line..and not only that, he did it with just a couple of steps. It's no use talking logic about Wilt's mythical abilities with him.
    Take it up with TEX WINTER you moron. And, while you are at it, ask him why he went to so much trouble to legislate a ban of the dunking of FTs.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Linspired
    hand timed 4.4 is more like 4.55 at the nfl combine. two very different thing. so 4.4 by 7ft 1 dude? highly unlikely. someone in NFL board calculated Usain bolt's 9.58 run and he ran 40 yard in 4.32.

i don't believe there is anybody in NBA who runs legit 4.4. i would say only guys like AI, westbrook, rose are 4.4 if they train really hard for it. i have to guess wilt would run 4.7s in today's NFL combine. and that's still plenty fast.
    Completely off-topic, but...

So Bolt is slower than perhaps 20+ NFL players who have been electronically timed in the 4.2's?

I rule the local playground Linspired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    YES...they are.

I would guesstimate at about 12' 10". And without a running start, and using his off-hand.
    wilt doesn't have an alien finger. his finger in that footage looks like 10 inch long

this really is not a good evidence.

no doubt wilt displayed tremendous leaping ability for a 7ft 1 man, but again he didn't come close to 13ft
    Last edited by Linspired; 07-26-2012 at 01:54 AM.

3-time NBA All-Star

wilt doesn't have an alien finger. his finger in that footage looks like 10 inch long
    In any case, it is clearly an amazing leap. I watched Dwight Howard on Sport Science "break" Shaq's supposed record of 12' 5", with a running start, and on his second attempt...with a leap of 12' 6". Clearly, a younger Chamberlain (who was a part-time high-jump CHAMPION, as well as a long-jumper, triple-jumper, and sprinter), at nearly 7-2, and with a 7-8 wingspan, would have EASILY topped that "record."

Completely off-topic, but...

So Bolt is slower than perhaps 20+ NFL players who have been electronically timed in the 4.2's?
    yes. in first 40 yards. bolt is 6ft 5 and he is all about top speed.

only 11 players officially ran under 4.3.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40-yard_dash

holiday & ford are legit olympic level sprinters.

3-time NBA All-Star

At the COMBINE. Many players have been clocked in the 4.2's in their CAREERs. Reggie Bush was timed at 4.28 while at USC. Just one of many examples.

And, I am SURE that Darrell Green, Bob Hayes, Bo Jackson, Deion, and other's would have easily been in the 4.2's.

In any case, it is clearly an amazing leap. I watched Dwight Howard on Sport Science "break" Shaq's supposed record of 12' 5", with a running start, and on his second attempt...with a leap of 12' 6". Clearly, a younger Chamberlain (who was a part-time high-jump CHAMPION, as well as a long-jumper, triple-jumper, and sprinter), at nearly 7-2, and with a 7-8 wingspan, would have EASILY topped that "record."
    dwight howard also had to dunk the ball. he probably could've squeezed another inch or two if he didn't have to worry about dunking the ball. wilt is 7ft 1.06 inch tall. he is 7ft 1, not 7ft 2.

and no, james white holds the mythical record of 12ft 10 inches according to this article
    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...a-jumping-myth

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

You have no idea what you are talking about. Bolt is not known for his great starts, he would not be a great 40 yard dash runner in comparison to fast NFL players. His speed in the 100m kicks in around 30-40m mark, when his long strides take over. It's not surprising at all that NFL players can run faster than him in the 40, which is all about explosiveness at the start.

Michael Jordan was timed at 4.3 in the 40 in college. That doesn't mean he would ever beat Bolt in the 100m though.

3-time NBA All-Star

dwight howard also had to dunk the ball. he probably could've squeezed another inch or two if he didn't have to worry about dunking the ball. wilt is 7ft 1.06 inch tall. he is 7ft 1, not 7ft 2.

and no, james white holds the mythical record of 12ft 10 inches according to this article
    Dwight Howard was NOT dunking the ball in that Sports Science show. He gave it everything he had and on his second attempt, with a long running start, hit 12' 6". Chamberlain was eclipsing that in that video, and with no time to react, and with going straight up (and withOUT benefit of a running start.) BTW, Chamberlain was known to have dunked a ball on a 12' foot rim.

3-time NBA All-Star

No, James White holds NO "mythical record" albeit, he had a higher vertical leap than just about every legitimate NBA player. We have no "official" attempts by Wilt or Russell.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    You have no idea what you are talking about. Bolt is not known for his great starts, he would not be a great 40 yard dash runner in comparison to fast NFL players. His speed in the 100m kicks in around 30-40m mark, when his long strides take over. It's not surprising at all that NFL players can run faster than him in the 40, which is all about explosiveness at the start.

Michael Jordan was timed at 4.3 in the 40 in college. That doesn't mean he would ever beat Bolt in the 100m though.
    Actually, I think that was exactly what Linspired was saying.

3-time NBA All-Star

Anyway...it's bedtime here at the "home", and have to get off the internet before they pull the plug. Enjoyed the discussions.

At the COMBINE. Many players have been clocked in the 4.2's in their CAREERs. Reggie Bush was timed at 4.28 while at USC. Just one of many examples.

And, I am SURE that Darrell Green, Bob Hayes, Bo Jackson, Deion, and other's would have easily been in the 4.2's.
    and none of them are official. i really don't care about unofficial numbers. i'm certain those guys can run 4.3 or below, but again i've never seen them do it. there is no record of it.

and combine 40 is a totally different animal. many who runs disappointing numbers at the combine runs better at their pro day. they shave off at least .05 to .1 sec. maybe combine grass is slow, but that's the standard NFL goes by. holiday is a midget who is known for his fast start ran 4.29. a legit track dude. his best 100m was 10.01 sec. ford too. tall guys have hard time doing well in combine. that's why calvin johnson is considered a freak. his 4.33 to me is the most impressive combine 40 dash of all time.

NBA rookie of the year

Hakeem's TEAMMATES badly outplayed Shaq's. For all of your nonsense about how little help Hakeem had, he had SAMPSON reducing Kareem's effectiveness in the '86 WCF's, and Thorpe shooting a huge percenatge while outrebounding Hakeem himself in the '94 Finals, and then he had his TEAMMATES collectively outshooting Shaq's in FG%, 2 3pt % and by a huge point differential at the foul line, in a series in which, Shaq scored 28 ppg on, get this... .595 shooting (contrast that with Kareem shooting .457, and only .414 over the course of his last FOUR games of the '72 WCF's), as well as outrebounding, outassisting, and outblocking Hakeem in that series.
    Haha, again a pile of crap.
    Shaq's teammates got outplayed by Hakeem's, yes, but why are you making such a huge deal of it? Hakeem still outplayed Shaq.

And haha, that you even mention that fact is pathetic considering the fact that Wilt's teammates in '72 outplayed Kareem's by a big margin.

And I never said that Hakeem had little help in '86, you idiot, and in '86 the Rockets faced two teams with much more talent a la the showtime Lakers and the Boston Celtics.

And wow, how retarded are you really? So you mean that Hakeem had huge help in '94 just because Thorpe averaged 9.3 points per game on 52%. And haha, is 52% a huge percentage for a guy who averages 9.3 points? Hakeem himself averaged 26.9 points on 50 FG% while he was doubled and tripled the series out. And Thorpe averaged 2 more rebounds per game, so you're really trying to point out the the massive help Hakeem had by mentioning a guy who averaged 9 points and 11 rebounds?

It's funny how you use stats, everyone but you says that Hakeem outplayed Shaq in '95. And you of all people use stats to prove it, while you spam constantly about how Kareem got killed in '72 playoffs while outscoring Wilt with 23 points per game, outassisting Wilt and while shooting FT's twice as good. You're really retarded.

And I get sick-and-tired of those that use Shaq's absolute dominance in second half over Hakeem, in a loss, as some kind of excuse. Hakeem was hanging on for dear life.
    Second half of game 3 was garbage time, you idiot, the game was over. Shaq got his points in garbage time, I know you're a huge fan of statpadding but Shaq got outplayed in game 3.

Of course, idiots like yourself also NEVER mention that Shaq BADLY outplayed Hakeem in their ENTIRE career H2H's, and especially in the '99 post-season. A young Shaq gets no excuse, even though YOU have used it in defense of HAKEEM (against Kareem), and then, you NEVER bring up a more PRIME Shaq just murdering Hakeem. BUT, you will point out a PRIME Kareem outscoring an OLD Wilt, playing on a surgically repaired knee in the '72 WCF's...and in series in which it was UNIVERSALLY accepted that Wilt outplayed Kareem.
    Yeah, Hakeem got outplayed in '99 season when Shaq was in his prime and Hakeem was....... 36 years old, haha. This ain't even about Shaq vs Hakeem, not even about Wilt vs Hakeem, it is you being a hypocrite and how you use stats to prove a point but go the opposite direction when it comes to stats and when it's about another player.

This from the same CLOWN who, in all seriousness, claimed that Bynum would have dominated Wilt.

Again you're mentioning Bynum vs Wilt, I have time after time made it clear for you that I was trolling you and still you're spamming about it just because you try to belittle me. It's not working, retard.

Raz
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

millwad, give up. You sound like an absolute fool.