Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: How Good Was Chris Mullin?

He was scary good. Prior to LeBron in '10, Mullin was the last perimeter player to average 25 PPG on 50% shooting('93). Mullin had a 5 year stretch where he averaged 25 PPG on 50% shooting EVERY YEAR. His mid-range J was automatic, he was a good ball handler, could pass, was an underrated defender, and a very efficient scorer. He was a lot like Larry Bird in that he wasn't terribly athletic, but his superior ball IQ more than made up for it. Very few players in NBA history have had a higher ball IQ than Mullin.

1992-93 looked like it was going to be Mullin's best season. That season was when he started to become a deadly three point shooter. He was averaging 26/5/4 on 51/45/81. Unfortunately, he never played after early February.

Lamar Odom, had he lived up to his potential, could have been a black Chris Mullin. Odom was actually a slightly better playmaker, a better rebounder, but was a huge underachiever in just about every other aspect of the game.

But to answer your question, Mullin was one of the best SF of all time when he was healthy and from '89-'93.

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    What's mysterious? Their playing styles are similar, but Mullin was much better.
    Mullin was far more than just a spot up shooter. Far more.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cali Syndicate
    Korver is more than just a spot-up shooter too at least he was with the Jazz. He was great coming off screens as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Korver is more than just a spot-up shooter too at least he was with the Jazz. He was great coming off screens as well.

Can Korver create for himself? Can he create for others? Play point forward at times? Get to the line 6-7 times a game? Defend?

Quote Originally Posted by Cali Syndicate
    Which is why I said he was better than Korver. I didn't elaborate on that, but what I was thinking of were the other aspects of Mullin's game, such as ball handling, passing, etc.

The reason I compared the two of them is because both are primarily known as shooters. The fact that Mullin had a much more well-rounded game accounts for the fact that hes in the HoF, and Korver will never get there.

I usually hit open layups jn2rons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kurt_rambis
    carmelo anthony with better judgement
    Close.... I'm trying to think of someone but it's tough, as he wasn't very big or athletic. Plus being a lefty made him "look" a little different. The obvious comparison is a smaller Larry Bird.

I think Paul Pierce is a fair comparison, with a sprinkle of Ginobli??

I remember Run TMC being really nice, used them a lot on the old EA bball series... Bulls vs. Blazers game (I think) that had Hardaway doing a nice crossover layup.
    Last edited by jn2rons; 07-15-2012 at 11:41 PM.

I was actually thinking Lamar Odom with better judgment. Lamar's game(as idiotic as it may be at times) is much closer to Mullin's game than Carmelo's is.

To my mind, none of these comparisons are very good. Although he could do many other things well, Mullin was primarily known as a pure shooter.

The main reason he was invited to be part of the Dream Team is because of his ability to be a sharp-shooting zone-buster, not because of his playmaking or defensive skills.

Odom is not a shooter at even close to Mullin's level. Melo is a scorer, not a shooter. So are Pierce and Ginobili. I really couldn't think of a SF whose game was known for pure shooting, and Korver came to mind. Maybe that isn't the best comparison; perhaps someone like Glen Rice would be better.

He was a better overall player than any pure shooter not called Larry Bird.... thats how good he was....

How come he is never talked about, because he is white?
    Nah, but he simply just wasnt so accomplished, didnt make any noise at all.... Larry was white to, but that guy was also the best white guy ever and one of the most significant/important players in NBA history....

RETIRED, ISH 2008-2013 willds09's Avatar

lethal scorer and shooter, couldnt stand him when he was cheating with tha pacers back in tha day tho

Learning to shoot layups

man i ****ing loved watching Mullin. what a great player he was.

his mid-range was money but he wasn't just relegated to spot up shooting. he could put the ball on the floor and score going to his left or right. he was capable of a couple quick dribbles and pulling up. i think the most frustrating thing for defenders was that he he would just nail difficult contested shots. he had a knack of finding the crease in the defense, elevating quickly and high. coming off curls was a challenge defensively because he had suck a quick release. he also had a floater in the paint he utilized. mullin was deceptively strong and could finish with contact. he had a full offensive repertoire. he had good balance in his game as well. you can't really label him as a volume shooter as he only shot the ball more than 20 times once in his career.

on defense, his quick hands allowed him to compete. he was sort of like kidd in that regard though obviously kidd was better at his position overall. so ya, he was legit...borderline top 50-60 player imo. only reason he may not be was because injuries derailed him.
    Last edited by blacknapalm; 07-16-2012 at 07:57 AM.

top 3 of all time

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    The main reason he was invited to be part of the Dream Team is because of his ability to be a sharp-shooting zone-buster, not because of his playmaking or defensive skills.
    The main reason is because he was one of the elite players in the league and deserved to be there.

Banned

Poor man's Ashton Kutcher