Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    06,12,13 NBA Champions Brickz187's Avatar

Default Re: If it was agreed that Tim Ducan was a C, Who would then be the GOAT Power Foward?

Garnett and I didn't even hesitate. He is constantly argued against Duncan, how is it all of the sudden he can be argued against Duncan, but Malone Barkley and Dirk are somehow better now?

National High School Star lakers_forever's Avatar

Default Re: If it was agreed that Tim Ducan was a C, Who would then be the GOAT Power Foward?

It can't be Dirk. He was not even in the top 2 PF (Duncan and KG) of his own generation.

The best PF (other than Duncan) must be a guy who has dominated his position for a decade (at least 8 all nba first team) and who has won MVP awards. Only two guys can claim that: Bob Pettit and Karl Malone (both 10 time All nba first team and with two MVP's). And since Pettit has the luxury of also having a title, my vote goes to him.

So, without Duncan, it would be:

1. Bob Pettit
    2. Karl Malone
    3. Charles Barkley
    4. Kevin Garnett
    5. Dirk Nowitzki

AK47DR91
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by PickernRoller
    Garnett can't carry a team as prime.
    There was a reason for that. The Wolves front office f*cked up with the Joe Smith deal and costed them five 1st Round picks.

We'll never really know how great Garnett's Wolves could have been.

1. Garnett.
    2. Malone.
    3. Pettit.
    4. Barkley.
    5. Dirk.

Very tough to rank Malone, Barkley, KG and Dirk objectively. Doesn't help that I'm a big fan of three of them.

Dirk would get my vote due to not only leading his team to the championship without an elite second option on offense, but doing so against great competition. He faced teams with considerable star power, getting the best of Kobe, Durant, LeBron and arguably Wade as a lead scorer.
    He also has longevity and consistent greatness going for him. The most impressive stat about him may be his Mavs' high winning percentage throughout his career in spite of drastic roster changes.
    Multidimensional or not (and his game is actually pretty well rounded), he's one of the most effective players in the history of the game.

KG would be next. A high impact player with no real holes in his game and a defensive anchor for the ages who's had longevity, consistency, and has won a championship as his team's MVP. However, he never was the kind of dominant scorer you can build a winning offense on, and did less with the (terrible) hand he was dealt in his prime years than guys like Dirk, LeBron or Kobe. Give 35 year old Dirk the Bobcats and he might have them in playoff contention. I'm not so sure the same can be said of Garnett.

Then it would be Barkley due to his dominant peak, but a bit like Shaq, you get the feeling he could've made a better career for himself. KG and Dirk's work ethic and personality make them more reliable leaders.

And finally it would be Malone. I've always had difficulty ranking Malone... to me he's not really one player, he's half of a player called Karl Stockton. Stockton and Malone were so dependent on each other that their individual brilliance seems difficult to appreciate.

Pettit would be somewhere between KG and Barkley, but I haven't watched him enough to be able to give a really informed opinion.
    Last edited by BoutPractice; 07-15-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47DR91
    There was a reason for that. The Wolves front office f*cked up with the Joe Smith deal and costed them five 1st Round picks.

We'll never really know how great Garnett's Wolves could have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odinn
    KG averaged 25+ ppg for a playoff series only twice.

Karl Malone's entire career po average 26.3
    Dirk Nowitzki's entire career po average 25.9
    Barkley averaged 25+ ppg for a playoff series 11 times.

How 'bout that?
    I think you have to score more points by yourself when you team isn't good enough. And KG had only 25+ ppg 2 playoff series with that cast. It should be more. KG didn't have enough scoring volume.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Barkey by Far

Top 10 All Time in PER
    Top 10 All Time in EFF
    Top 5 All Time in Plus/Minus
    Top 4 All Time In Shot Made/Missed Diferential

Barkley was More Dominant and Effiicent than All PFs

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by lakers_forever
    It can't be Dirk. He was not even in the top 2 PF (Duncan and KG) of his own generation.

The best PF (other than Duncan) must be a guy who has dominated his position for a decade (at least 8 all nba first team) and who has won MVP awards. Only two guys can claim that: Bob Pettit and Karl Malone (both 10 time All nba first team and with two MVP's). And since Pettit has the luxury of also having a title, my vote goes to him.

So, without Duncan, it would be:

1. Bob Pettit
    I see it the same way.
    May i add, that Pettit was a great scorer and great rebounder. He won the ROY, scoring titles, 3rd highest rebounding average only behind Wilt and Russell. And he had a lengendary 50 point game to clinch the title against the mighty Celtics. And within ISH, he is the second highest PF on the GOAT-list (behind Duncan) and in Gifted mind's list of the best player year by year he is up there with Duncan (both 3 years as the best player in the NBA).

Banned

Kevin Garnett. He gives you just about everything. His peak would be the best among all PFs of all-time and he also has a great amount of longevity as well.

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    Kevin Garnett. He gives you just about everything. His peak would be the best among all PFs of all-time and he also has a great amount of longevity as well.
    He wasn't able to give 30+ ppg for a playoff series. He wasn't a great scorer at all. He doesn't give you enough scoring power.

Banned

He wasn't able to give 30+ ppg for a playoff series. He wasn't a great scorer at all. He doesn't give you enough scoring power.
    KG consistently scored 20-25 ppg in the post-season and had some series where he would score around 25-29 ppg. I wouldn't say it is weakness just because he didn't score 30+ ppg because 30+ ppg is great, not average or good.

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    KG consistently scored 20-25 ppg in the post-season and had some series where he would score around 25-29 ppg. I wouldn't say it is weakness just because he didn't score 30+ ppg because 30+ ppg is great, not average or good.
    Only twice.

Again;

When it comes to Garnett vs. Nowitzki or Barkley or Malone;
    Garnett's offense:8, defense:9, total:17
    Nowitzki's offense:9, defense:6, total:15
    It shouldn't be like that. Garnett's defense wasn't that big factor. People always say Garnett could play defense unlike Malone, Barkley and Nowitzki without mentioning his not that impressive scoring numbers.

5-time NBA All-Star

KG avergaed 25+ ppg for a playoff series only twice.

How 'bout that?
    But KG averages are exactly like Duncan's across the board.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Brickz187
    Garnett and I didn't even hesitate. He is constantly argued against Duncan, how is it all of the sudden he can be argued against Duncan, but Malone Barkley and Dirk are somehow better now?
    I have never once seen anybody even suggest that KG was as good as Tim Duncan.

Anyways, out of those 4 guys I see 2 career losers, 1 guy who had to join up with 2 all-star Hall of Famers to get a ring, and 1 guy who carried the team he joined the league with to a championship.