Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Vote: If you were starting a franchise, would you rather have a young Kobe or Duncan?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    Let me guess, Pau Gasol was 2010 MVP, and Duncans never played with a stacked supporting cast?

Duncans teams, excusing 99 have always been stacked from top to bottom.

The 09 & 10 Lakers were in no way stacked, had one of the worst benches in the leauge & had nobody other than Kobe & Pau as a scoring threat.

Go ahead, tell me how dominate Bynum was durring those finals runs?

Tell me about the inconsistent Odom.

Tell me about Trevor Ariza who was a journey man Sf who had played for several teams in 3 years.

Let's not forget DA GAWD D fish running point.
    2003 Spurs:
    Tony Parker-16/3/5 on 46/34/76 shooting
    Stephen Jackson-12/4/2 on 44/32/76 shooting
    Malik Rose-10/6/2 on 46% shooting
    Manu Ginobili-8/2/2 on 44/35/74 shooting
    Bruce Bowen-7/3/1 on 47/44/40 shooting
    Grampa David Robinson-9/8/1 on 47% shooting

Let's not forget the legendary Speedy Claxton, Steve Kerr and Danny Ferry.

Stacked!

Default Re: Vote: If you were starting a franchise, would you rather have a young Kobe or Duncan?

I have to go with Duncan here. Duncan's post game and defense are pretty good, he's a pretty good passing big, and his intangibles are good too (no drama). Plus, Duncan has won with different players. In 1999 he won with an old Robinson. 03 I think he was the only all star on his team (Manu and Parker developed well though). He could do it with different casts

Shame on you people that think Duncan couldn't take over games. Look at his 2003 season (Game 6 of the finals being the best). If that's not taking over, I don't know what is.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

What is Duncan's playoff record head to head with the Lakers
    What? Do you think I missed the last 15 years? Or did you not notice that I dont care for reasons which should be fairly obvious?

Until most fans are too young to remember Shaqs...Shaq will never allow Kobe to get full credit for anything that happened before 2005. In the last series Shaq played with Kobe vs the spurs?

17/19/5 blocks
    11/11/3
    28/14/4
    28/15/5/8 blocks
    32/15 on 71% shooting
    19/13/5

And that...is the worst version of shaq as a Laker. 2004.

Until the people being asked just dont rememebr Shaq...nothing you point out from pre 2004 will ever get full credit far as Kobe goes. Thats just how it is.

And how it probably should be. While from time to time there were those saying Kobe was the best...the general opinion was that the best player in the NBA was Shaq for most of this stretch. And when it wasnt...it was Duncan in 2003 and KG in 2004.

How you feel about that means little to me.

They have played once since. Once is hardly a trend and 2008 isnt Duncan at his best nor does it have anything to do with who id get in each of their primes.

Kobe has had a longer stretch as an elite player. Doesnt mean hes more likely to make his team great at any particular time of that stretch.

Duncan walked in as an elite player, led his team t ota title in year 2, and has had them contending with great and average rosters every single season since. Added to that...hes caused no problems, done nothing to justify asking if hes worth the hassle, and been loved and respected by virtually everyone. I feel hes more likely to help develop chemistry and create an enviroment I could easily build a winner in.

Id take Duncan first and not hesitate for a second. Hes exactly what you want out of your franchise player.

I suppose Kobe generates more money...but thats just not an issue im considering when talking about basketball.

How many jerseys one might sell means nothing when im trying to win a game.

Duncans teams, excusing 99 have always been stacked from top to bottom.
    Lets say Last years Bulls are in one of their brief stretches of being healthy.

Who on the 2003 Spurs isnt coming off the bench other than Tim Duncan?

Bowen over Ronnie Brewer?

Tim Duncan by a mile. Especially in this era of weak bigs.

It's not even close. Duncan EASILY

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Duncan would be Minny KG 2.0 if he wasnt in the best run organization in the league for the past decade. W/o GOAT management, player development, coaching, and overall discipline on his side Duncan wouldnt have enjoyed the same success that he did.

Id take Kobe because he was simply a more dominant player.

Banned

Duncan.

He's the greatest PF of all time.

Kobe is not the greatest SG of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Duncan would be Minny KG 2.0 if he wasnt in the best run organization in the league for the past decade. W/o GOAT management, player development, coaching, and overall discipline on his side Duncan wouldnt have enjoyed the same success that he did.

Id take Kobe because he was simply a more dominant player.
    You understand that Kobe plays for the FCKING LAKERS, right?

Lol @ discrediting Duncan because he got drafted to the powerhouse San Antonio Spurs. A Franchise that has no NBA history of winning before his arrival.

W/o GOAT management, player development, coaching, and overall discipline on his side Duncan wouldnt have enjoyed the same success that he did.
    And this is the argument being used against Duncan in favor of someone who is about to start the 14th season of his career on a team with enough talent to contend? 14 of his soon to be 17 seasons hes had a team you could realistically expect to contend.

This isnt Duncan vs Pistol Pete.

Its Duncan vs Kobe.

There is no "Well..he didnt have..." side here.

And lets not pretend the Spurs have actually been loaded with great players and young guys who exploded into stardom.

Just because they are great every year doesnt mean they have great players every year. Its Duncan, Manu, Parker, and...some guys. Just like its been for years. And Duncan was winning when it was him and...some guys.

Local High School Star west_tip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Duncan would be Minny KG 2.0 if he wasnt in the best run organization in the league for the past decade.
    To be honest the exact same argument could be used against Kobe Bryant, except replace "best run" with "most glamorous".

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    And lets not pretend the Spurs have actually been loaded with great players and young guys who exploded into stardom.

Just because they are great every year doesnt mean they have great players every year.
    This is EXACTLY why using teammates' names with Duncan doesnt mean much. Hes been on great teams at times.. that dont really have great players.

It doesnt make sense at first because 99% of the league doesnt work that way but San Antonio could post the best record in the league with DeJuan Blair being their most impactful player in half their games. Their overall team commitment and discipline is at unheard of levels.

And Duncan gets his status elevated past what it should be because he didnt have the names but had something else that made just as big a diference.

Quote Originally Posted by west_tip
    To be honest the exact same argument could be used against Kobe Bryant, except replace "best run" with "most glamorous".
    It can be.. I agree.

Im just pointing it out for people acting like duncan carried scrubs OMGZ 2003!!

I usually hit open layups

Duncan, just surround him with some backup defensive bigs and versatile wingmen and you're good to go. But maaan he sure is really boring to watch. No wonder why he's the big fundamental.

champion = duncan
    market = kobe

pick your poison