Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default Re: 1992 Clyde Drexler vs 2012 Kobe bryant

Clyde was 2nd in Mvp voting I believe. He was the better defender,rebounder,and passer. Clyde wasn't just a open court guy. He had a post game

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NugzHeat3
    Clyde Drexler never led Porland past Magic's Lakers. Not once, much less twice.

In fact, that was the knock on both their finals appearances. People used to say they got lucky PHX took LA out in 1990 and that LA would've beat them in 1992 had Magic not retired.
    People say that because Portland lost to the Lakers in 91. That's the only time Portland played LA in the playoffs when they were good enough to beat them. Had Portland beaten them in 91, no one would question their Finals runs in 90 and 92. You just can't lose that series having homecourt advantage. LA never trailed in that series and never allowed Portland to steal one in LA. Magic's Lakers basically sonned the defending conference champs and went back to the Finals...AGAIN.

Unfortunately for basketball and those Blazers, Magic retired before the beginning of the next season and never gave the Blazers another chance. That would have been interesting...

I see why Clyde is still sensitive about Magic.

This season Kobe had the highest usage rate in the league by far but ranked 160th in shooting efficiency.

Gimme Drexler

92 Drex > 12 Kobe

92 Drexler vs 12 Kobe, it's Drexler no question.

Banned

people saying drexler are dumb...kobe is twice as dangerous a player.... measuring a player based on just 1 more assist or 1 more rebound is dumb

kobes the more polished player
    kobes the more clutch player
    kobes the better defender
    kobe draws more double teams
    kobes the better post player
    kobes the smarter player
    kobe has the better left hand
    kobe has more desire
    kobe has proven himself as a leader
    clydes a ring chaser and failed as lead dog

the stats are nearly the same and both are 1st team all nba... this is the only thing thats close

everyone on this forum who says clyde have no clue when it comes to all time greatness

clydes a top 35-40 player at best

kobes in the top 6-7 discussion

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    people saying drexler are dumb...kobe is twice as dangerous a player.... measuring a player based on just 1 more assist or 1 more rebound is dumb

kobes the smarter player
    kobe has more desire

the stats are nearly the same and both are 1st team all nba... this is the only thing thats close

everyone on this forum who says clyde have no clue when it comes to all time greatness

Jordan faced 6'7 Clyde who is more athletic than any SG in this era..

Clyde 92 playoff ave 26 ppg 7 reb 7 ass..

Kobe in his NBA finals career ave 25 ppg on 41 percent shooting

41 percent against 6'2 Eric snow...shaq and magic are far better lakers than kobe.....

shaq has 3 finals mvps as a laker,so does magic

how can kobe be considered the best laker when shaq was better all 8 yrs?....drexler wins easily.

kobes the smarter player
    kobe has more desire

Nobody is saying Clyde > Kobe all time , at least I hope not. People are saying 92 Clyde > 12 Kobe, and while I'm not sure I agree with that notion(I honestly don't know who I'd pick), it's certainly a debate.

Clyde was the better passer, rebounder, defender, and was more efficient from the floor, while Kobe was the better scorer and probably the better leader.

Clyde had more team success, but he also had a better team.

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    '92 Drexler. Most other versions of Kobe is better than '92 Drexler though but 2012 Kobe? I'll take '92 Drexler over that version of Kobe easily.

Kobe is too inefficient, doesn't hustle, doesn't play defense, he doesn't do anything except play offense really these days which goes to show you that he will be on his way out of the league soon.
    If you don't watch Kobe's games or know his style, then you really shouldn't comment. Kobe is the guy that hustles the most on the Lakers along with Artest. He is always diving and willing to sacrifice his body for the ball. That has always been a big part of who he is as a player. He also rebounds quite well, especially considering he is down there with two seven footers. This season at his age and with who he played, he was top 6 for SGs in rebounds and top 5 for all of guards in offensive rebounds. He averaged the most assists for a SG (tied with D-Wade).

I'm not here to argue between '92 Drexler vs '12 Kobe because honestly, I never saw '92 Drexler play aside from select games. If I were a betting man, I'd say you were too young to have seen him play in '92 as well.

Speak little, listen much. You might be surprised at what you learn.

Why dont you guys compare their USA stats...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    Jordan faced 6'7 Clyde who is more athletic than any SG in this era..

Clyde 92 playoff ave 26 ppg 7 reb 7 ass..

Kobe in his NBA finals career ave 25 ppg on 41 percent shooting

41 percent against 6'2 Eric snow...shaq and magic are far better lakers than kobe.....

shaq has 3 finals mvps as a laker,so does magic

how can kobe be considered the best laker when shaq was better all 8 yrs?....drexler wins easily.
    i can see how you would translate a persons averages vs 1 team over a week and a half to another persons averages vs a completely different team both from 2 decades ago

totally legit

honestly you stat geeks are dumb

example " so wilt averaged so and so against so and so in the year 1970 during this week in that month...and it means he must be better than this guy who averaged less against this other team in 2012"

seriously .... you have to watch the games people... stat sheets dont tell the entire story... and 1% here and there, 1 rebound less or higher, or 1 assists here or there or anywhere compared to that of someone a decade before or a decade after against a different team with a different pace is NOT the way you judge tallent

fu********************!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

I've always found Drexler to be overrated in that 92 season and in general, but he was definitely a better player than 2012 Kobe. Also that 2nd team all defensive nod for Kobe is a bunch of horse shit and means absolutely nothing to me as far as picking between them. Drexler in 1992 was with out a doubt a better defensive player than Kobe was in 2012 whether he was on an all defensive team or not.

[B

kobes in the top 6-7 discussion [/B]

This just shows you lack basic reading comprehension. The title to the thread is 1992 Drexler vs 2012 Kobe. It isn't a comparison of their whole careers.

RIF

College superstar

i can see how you would translate a persons averages vs 1 team over a week and a half to another persons averages vs a completely different team both from 2 decades ago

totally legit

honestly you stat geeks are dumb

example " so wilt averaged so and so against so and so in the year 1970 during this week in that month...and it means he must be better than this guy who averaged less against this other team in 2012"

seriously .... you have to watch the games people... stat sheets dont tell the entire story... and 1% here and there, 1 rebound less or higher, or 1 assists here or there or anywhere compared to that of someone a decade before or a decade after against a different team with a different pace is NOT the way you judge tallent

fu********************!
    actually,kobe is one of the dumbest players to ever play the game…he is the alltime leader in taking bad,forced shots

53 missed gamewinners,most alltime
    kobe-30 misses in a game,nba record(11-7-02 vs boston)
    kobe- only active player with 10,000+ misses
    kobe- .414% in his finals career
    04 finals

what….u dont believe the stats i posted or what i said?…..if u dont believe the stats,LOOK IT UP……go ahead….im asking you too…. ….please,look it up…..
    kobe= failure…..he was outscored by reggie miller,jalen rose,and austin croshere in the 2000 finals……look that shit up!...

Good college starter Noob Saibot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    '92 Drexler. Most other versions of Kobe is better than '92 Drexler though but 2012 Kobe? I'll take '92 Drexler over that version of Kobe easily.

Kobe is too inefficient, doesn't hustle, doesn't play defense, he doesn't do anything except play offense really these days which goes to show you that he will be on his way out of the league soon.
    ^this. Oldbe ain't f*ing with prime Drexler.