Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: NBA height listing inconsistency thread

Quote Originally Posted by Linspired
    die hard fans like myself do care. it's like finding out santa clause doesn't exist. i was extremely disappointed when i found out patrick ewing wasn't a legit 7fter.

and it just makes NBA look like a 2nd rate organization. NFL does a great job being very accurate.
    This is possibly the strangest comment I've ever heard. You have issues my friend.

die hard fans like myself do care. it's like finding out santa clause doesn't exist. i was extremely disappointed when i found out patrick ewing wasn't a legit 7fter.

and it just makes NBA look like a 2nd rate organization. NFL does a great job being very accurate.
    No, not all diehard fans like yourself care, especially this much. I'm a diehard NBA fan and I don't really care that much.

I get it, this stuff fascinates you, as it does other NBA fans, but after reading some of your posts in this thread, your obsession with heights is borderline creepy.

Disappointed because you found out Ewing wasn't a legit 7-footer? So what? He could still ball, so him being closer to 6'10" than 7'0" shouldn't have been extremely disappointing. It's not like he was your favorite player and you found out he had a rare disease or something.
    Last edited by KG215; 07-13-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by abuC
    Real 7 footers are rare, here -

http://www.truthaboutit.net/2012/05/...n-the-nba.html

Estimated 70 people between 20-40 years old in this country that are 7"0 or more.
    Only 70? Wtf?
    Few years ago there was a similar research for countries of former Yugoslavia and there was like 150+ people who were at least 6'11''. Those countries have population of approximately 16 million people. There is probably even more tall people, because the research gathered their information mostly through sport clubs (basketball and volleyball)...

I rule the local playground Linspired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theaussieguy
    u should be more concerned about the fact u invest such a big deal into a number, omg he isn't 7 foot hes no longer the player i thought he was.....its your own irratioanlity, your inability to accept things arn't perfect that is the problem, not the inconsistency in height, which lets face it, is an issue in every single sporting organization in the world.

Also its not totally out way, humans can shrink upto over an inch a day which they then regain during sleep when the spine decompresses. Height fluctuates a lot for these taller dudes especially.

No it isn't. NFL do not have this problem. they are pretty much 95% accurate.

I rule the local playground Linspired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix

i was in middle school!! and i had huge patrick ewing posters growing up.

I was crushed when i saw hogan in person too. i imagined him being this huge gigantic man, but he was barely taller than i was. and that was mid 90's.

He Is I and I Am Him Wavy Crockett's Avatar

Jordan was apparently 6'4".

Quote Originally Posted by Wavy Crockett
    Jordan was apparently 6'4".
    6-4.88" in his barefeet (6-4 and 7/8ths). Measured in 1992 along with several other U.S. Dream Team athletes that voluntarily agreed to be measured w/o shoes. So he's closer to 6-5 than 6-4.

Quote Originally Posted by Knicksfever2010
    if every player is measured the same way (with sneakers), what does it matter?
    your so ignorant about list heights

[QUOTE=Draftexpress]Johnson said. "You don't go out there with your shoes off. Ain't that right?"

In this case, Larry Johnson being a 6

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    6-4.88" in his barefeet (6-4 and 7/8ths). Measured in 1992 along with several other U.S. Dream Team athletes that voluntarily agreed to be measured w/o shoes. So he's closer to 6-5 than 6-4.
    6'6 with kicks on

3-time NBA All-Star

This topic has been brought up before, but for those that rip the 60's as a decade of very few seven-footers...

had the players back then been measured in shoes, and there would have been some 20 seven-footers in that span...and in leagues of eight to 14 teams.

Furthermore, Chamberlain was over 7-1, and Kareem was nearly 7-2 (and there are those that would claim both were even taller than that)...but had they been measured in shoes, Chamberlain would have been at least 7-3, and Kareem over 7-3. And Wilt had a 7-8 wingspan, too. And one of the more amazing stories of that time, was that Nate Thurmond, who was listed at 6-11, and would surely be over 7-0 by today's measuring methods, had a higher standing reach than Chamberlain.

Saw a basketball once

I work security and I saw Brian Grant at my job (he got a divorce).

I'm 6-5 and I was almost his height. I think he is measured at 6-10 or 6-11' when he played, but realistically he's maybe 6-7 or 6-8 at the tallest, wasn't much taller than me, honestly.

If I were in the NBA, I'd be listed at 6'9" 230. Pretty much Kenyon Martin.