Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Carmelo Anthony has become hugely under-appreciated and disrespected.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop_Cat
    He's never gotten far in the playoffs, but he has plenty of individual accolades so quit it with the "he's never accomplished anything" garbage.
    Like what?

Everybody else in the top of his draft class has championships, MVPs, scoring titles, FMVPs, 1st team selections, defensive team selections, All-star MVPs.

Melo doesn't have a single 1 of those accomplishments. The best he has done is a few 3rd teams and one 2nd team. If you wanna call all-star selections an accomplishment, fine, but all that does is show how slim the pickens are to grasp onto.

This guy is supposed to be some kind of elite scorer. Some even call him the best. How come he can't even grab a scoring title? You'd think of all the individual accomplishments, he would at least get 1 of those.

The guy is flat out NOT an elite player and he NEVER has been. He's a good solid player as long as you place him in the proper context. He's a good Josh Smith level player. Maybe even Joe Johnson level, but he just comes up short when you try to put him in the conversation of elite players like LeBron, Wade, Kobe, Durant, Dwight, etc....

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Carmelo Anthony has become hugely under-appreciated and disrespected.

I am saying the success in the first 2 years cursed the next 5 years in Denver. After that he moved to NY, and they had to give up a ton of pieces to get him. It's only now that the team is putting back together all the pieces to finally compete.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Melo don't play D.

Melo don't make his teammates better.

if I'm a hater for thinking this then I guess I'm a hater.

I'll give Melo this. He's not this useless defender everyone makes him out to be. He's definitely respectable. He IS better defensively than what he gets credit for. It's just that he takes a lot of plays off.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Like what?

Everybody else in the top of his draft class has championships, MVPs, scoring titles, FMVPs, 1st team selections, defensive team selections, All-star MVPs.

Melo doesn't have a single 1 of those accomplishments. The best he has done is a few 3rd teams and one 2nd team. If you wanna call all-star selections an accomplishment, fine, but all that does is show how slim the pickens are to grasp onto.

This guy is supposed to be some kind of elite scorer. Some even call him the best. How come he can't even grab a scoring title? You'd think of all the individual accomplishments, he would at least get 1 of those.

The guy is flat out NOT an elite player and he NEVER has been. He's a good solid player as long as you place him in the proper context. He's a good Josh Smith level player. Maybe even Joe Johnson level, but he just comes up short when you try to put him in the conversation of elite players like LeBron, Wade, Kobe, Durant, Dwight, etc....
    Top of his draft class? Sure LeBron and Wade have more accolades than Carmelo. Whatever, but had they not collaborated into a mega team, they wouldn't have found the same team success.

It is incredibly difficult it is to make a single All-NBA, or heck, even a single All-Star team. In addition to consistently being in the/close to the top 5 in the league in scoring. Never said he was the best scorer, but he is a damn good one in this league. Carmelo is not empty points, if you want to see empty points a guy like Monta Ellis is Exhibit A. He can hurt the team at times, but just be looking at the NY-Miami playoff series, you can see that he single carried the Knicks team to one win. Put Gay or Granger in his shoes and that is a 20 point blowout every game since not a single player would be able to create.

Once again, I have no problem in saying that guys like LeBron/Durant are better, something I've already acknowledged countless times. Once again, I also have no problem in admitting he has many flaws. I am NOT trying to make the argument that he is as good as LeBron/Durant, as I've said numerous times.

I'm repeating stuff at this point, but my biggest beef with the haters is that people want to downgrade Carmelo to an undeserved level. He isn't in the elite, elite category but he is still head and shoulders above the "third tier" of players. He is in the middling 2nd tier of very good/elite players who aren't good enough to win the title but are good enough to make good runs/win you lots of games.

You can't compare a guy like Joe Johnson to Carmelo Anthony. JJ will not carry the times offensively at clutch moments or for extremely extended periods of time like Anthony can't. JJ doesn't draw the attention, has the entire offense based off of him, nor can he take control offensively when he has to.

Carmelo Anthony is in worse than the elite of the elite LeBron but much better than guys like Johnson. That was the gist of the argument I was trying to make, seeing as how many people want to call him a cancer or whatnot.

Also, another reason he is getting disrespected is, he's not showing any heart. It seems like he doesn't really care for the game, he's just in it for the money.

Just look at the shape he is in. If someone could post his weight year to year, you'll see this guy don't work hard at all. Complete opposite from guys like Kobe, Lebron, Durant, who worked their asses off in the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    He's vastly over rated. He's seriously not much better than JR Smith.

Imo one of the biggest mistakes Anthony made was to demand a trade and subsequently make his future team pay with alot of prospects just for the sake of money.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop_Cat
    Top of his draft class? Sure LeBron and Wade have more accolades than Carmelo. Whatever, but had they not collaborated into a mega team, they wouldn't have found the same team success.

It is incredibly difficult it is to make a single All-NBA, or heck, even a single All-Star team. In addition to consistently being in the/close to the top 5 in the league in scoring. Never said he was the best scorer, but he is a damn good one in this league. Carmelo is not empty points, if you want to see empty points a guy like Monta Ellis is Exhibit A. He can hurt the team at times, but just be looking at the NY-Miami playoff series, you can see that he single carried the Knicks team to one win. Put Gay or Granger in his shoes and that is a 20 point blowout every game since not a single player would be able to create.

Once again, I have no problem in saying that guys like LeBron/Durant are better, something I've already acknowledged countless times. Once again, I also have no problem in admitting he has many flaws. I am NOT trying to make the argument that he is as good as LeBron/Durant, as I've said numerous times.

I'm repeating stuff at this point, but my biggest beef with the haters is that people want to downgrade Carmelo to an undeserved level. He isn't in the elite, elite category but he is still head and shoulders above the "third tier" of players. He is in the middling 2nd tier of very good/elite players who aren't good enough to win the title but are good enough to make good runs/win you lots of games.

You can't compare a guy like Joe Johnson to Carmelo Anthony. JJ will not carry the times offensively at clutch moments or for extremely extended periods of time like Anthony can't. JJ doesn't draw the attention, has the entire offense based off of him, nor can he take control offensively when he has to.

Carmelo Anthony is in worse than the elite of the elite LeBron but much better than guys like Johnson. That was the gist of the argument I was trying to make, seeing as how many people want to call him a cancer or whatnot.
    Wade was a champion before getting with Lebron, and Lebron's Cavs clearly had more success then any of Melo's teams. He wasn't sniffing their team success regardless.

I get what you're saying, but at the same time, there's been alot of hype and overrating of the guy, and one extreme will usually attract the other extreme when he does not live up to the hype. For example, IMO Deron Williams is one of the most overrated players in the league, but at the same time, he's not that hyped and no one has really expected him or his teams to really do much so when that is what exactly happens, no one really gives a sh*t and disrespects him because thats what they expected.

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Wade was a champion before getting with Lebron, and Lebron's Cavs clearly had more success then any of Melo's teams. He wasn't sniffing their team success regardless.

I get what you're saying, but at the same time, there's been alot of hype and overrating of the guy, and one extreme will usually attract the other extreme when he does not live up to the hype. For example, IMO Deron Williams is one of the most overrated players in the league, but at the same time, he's not that hyped and no one has really expected him or his teams to really do much so when that is what exactly happens, no one really gives a sh*t and disrespects him because thats what they expected.
    your wrong Melo doesnt get that much hype and the last part about Deron Williams makes no sense if he doesn't even get rated high how can he be overrated. It seems to me people don't even know what overrated means

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    When people have been complaining about a player being underappreciated and constantly making excuses for the guy, then he's not really underappreciated. He gets "disrespected" in your view cause there are players like Lebron, Durant, Kobe, Wade, CP3, Howard, Wade, Rose, etc. in the league. If the best players in the league aside from him were players you mentioned like Gay and Iguadola, then Melo would be getting treated like he's Lebron or Durant right now i.e. the best player in the league. That's not the case though. The perception is a relative product of higher standards as a result of how much better other players are then him. Thats just the way it is.
    On the other hand if your constantly being called overrated like Melo than you can't be overrated. Yet people will still say Melo is overrated even tho everyone thinks that. If everyone thinks he is overrated than who exactly overrates his

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    I am saying the success in the first 2 years cursed the next 5 years in Denver.
    ..ohh yea....isolation bball SUCKS....just ask kevin garnett....bball is a team game.....the only reason isolation LOSERS like kobe win is due to dominant rebounding,and lakers were a top 5 rebounding team all 5 titles yrs for that loser.....CARMELO is a bon-fide isolation loser which is why the knicks thrived without him...

Melo is underrated, but he isn't a #1 guy who can win as the man.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan21formvp
    They used to say the same thing about Paul Pierce and Dirk Nowitzki.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan21formvp
    it all depends