Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: JR Smith resigns with Knicks

I think this is the best bargain of the off-season. I mean I'd take JR Smith over Jamal Crawford or Nick Young and he got MUCH less than either of them.

I think he took the huge discount because he really loves NY, Woodson, and his teammates. I think the Woodson factor is what really brought him back. It also doesn't hurt that he'll get early bird rights next year so he can get a nice contract.

Grunwald's job this off-season can't be understated. We got a huge break by winning the bird right's case, but he also pulled off some insanely amazing moves. I don't think any team has a better bench than us right now. Kidd-JR-Novak-JJ*-Camby could beat a few teams starters.
    *assuming Jefferies re-signs

He took a little over 1/3rd of what Danny Green was signed to today. That should put it in perspective.

Some how this won't work out for the Knicks I bet. He'll get shot and miss the season or something or do something totally stupid like step on Carmelo Anthony while he lays on the ground...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DCJXYbBB7w

Did we ever find out why the f*ck he laid there for so long, or did he just say "F*ck it, I'm going to lay here."

JR Smith: I want to wear 23 this year!

Douglas was wearing it last year but Camby wore it when he was with the Knicks.

So who gonna get #23 for the Knicks

great deal for the knicks. Carmelo and Jr have been waiting a long time to play together as starters. JR will be so much more efficient playing with the starters than he ever has as the main ball handler/scorer/creator on second units.

now really watch out if they can ever trade amare for a shooting big to allow carmelo to play close to the basket

Now this is a great deal for JR.

National High School Star NewYorkNoPicks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D12"Magic"
    JR was born in 1985, any kid who grew up in the 90s in the new york, new jersey, connecticut area was a Knick fan...Nets were irrelevant from 1981 to 2002.
    Last edited by NewYorkNoPicks; 07-10-2012 at 02:12 AM.

props to JR, great bargain for a very flawed yet very talented player.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBaller
    loyalty
    I really doubt that "loyalty" had anything to do with this signing.

By signing this particular deal he'll have Early Bird Rights next offseason, and he'll be able to opt-out of the second year.

Upon opting out, his Bird Rights will allow the Knicks to go over the salary cap (which they couldn't do this year) to sign him to a multi-year deal as long as they're under the hard cap.

Smart move by Smith and his representation.

3-time NBA All-Star

If you're just looking at the salary for this year, and this year alone, then yeah its definitely a steal.

With that being said, next summer the Knicks FO will be faced with a difficult decision to either give Smith his multi-year payday or try to replace his position with either vet-minimum players or the tax-payer's mini-MLE.

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    JR Smith: I want to wear 23 this year!

Douglas was wearing it last year but Camby wore it when he was with the Knicks.

So who gonna get #23 for the Knicks
    Yeah he noticed it soon enough and said "nah that's MC's number" then suggest 2, then 4 and then 3 lol

knowing dolan, expect 30 mil for jr next year

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by bluechox2
    knowing dolan, expect 30 mil for jr next year
    He'll still only be 27 next off-season, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a 5-year $32 million deal for Smith if he plays well this season. Maybe even more

Nobody else in the NBA will commit to JR Smith longterm.

Same situation with Delonte West. Both guys are good players despite their inconsistency, but it's the off the court stuff that scares teams from giving them a 3 or 4 year deal. Delonte has supporters around the league, but George Karl is the #1 reference for anything JR Smith related and it wouldn't surprise me that he offers nothing positive on JR.

JR wants to be in NY because he has a coach in Mike Woodson who is giving him a chance to rebuild his reputation around the league.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    Some how this won't work out for the Knicks I bet. He'll get shot and miss the season or something or do something totally stupid like step on Carmelo Anthony while he lays on the ground...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DCJXYbBB7w

Did we ever find out why the f*ck he laid there for so long, or did he just say "F*ck it, I'm going to lay here."
    Melo actually had a mini brain seizure, it's actually really serious. He missed the next few games before being cleared to play. It might seem funny when you watch the .gif but it was real scary for Melo's family