Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Da Mavs

Default Re: Doc Rivers speaks on Ray Allen's decision

Quote Originally Posted by TMT
    At this moment, absolutely.
    Way to live in the moment, they've merely had two playoff series. It's not a true rivalry, it's just the two best teams in their conference. Lakers-Celtics is a rivalry.

Even so if it was their biggest rival, who cares? Get over it. This isn't some high school drama bullshit. A guy can sign with any team he wants to, if he feels Miami can give him the best shot to win, why the hell not? Because it'll hurt your feelings, or other fans? I think it's funny to even think Ray Allen really gives a shit what fans think, his life and he can do as he pleases. It's called free agency for a reason.

That's bullshit. He tagged along for a small fraction of the money he could have had in order to get an easy ring.
    He probably doesn't care about money that much at this stage of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rose
    Way to live in the moment, they've merely had two playoff series. It's not a true rivalry, it's just the two best teams in their conference. Lakers-Celtics is a rivalry.

Even so if it was their biggest rival, who cares? Get over it. This isn't some high school drama bullshit. A guy can sign with any team he wants to, if he feels Miami can give him the best shot to win, why the hell not? Because it'll hurt your feelings, or other fans? I think it's funny to even think Ray Allen really gives a shit what fans think, his life and he can do as he pleases. It's called free agency for a reason.
    You're being extremely ignorant. It doesn't even simply go as far as Heat vs. Celtics but Celtics against Lebron. This has been a rivalry since the original big three got together in 2007. Lakers are in the opposite conference, they see them once unless both teams are fortunate enough to make the Finals. Yes, I'm aware that they met a couple times recently. THIS is an in conference rivalry between two great teams that are likely to meet up a whole lot, have, and will.

If you actually have respect for what you do and the franchise you wear every night and the name that is on the front of your jersey then you don't just turn around and sign with the enemy. Especially after all the battles you've been through with this particular franchise and the entire reason you already are fortunate enough to have 1 ring on your finger. Call me old fashion but I actually think integrity and decisions when it comes to the game go hand in hand.

Great college starter 50inchvertical's Avatar

You're being extremely ignorant. It doesn't even simply go as far as Heat vs. Celtics but Celtics against Lebron. This has been a rivalry since the original big three got together in 2007. Lakers are in the opposite conference, they see them once unless both teams are fortunate enough to make the Finals. Yes, I'm aware that they met a couple times recently. THIS is an in conference rivalry between two great teams that are likely to meet up a whole lot, have, and will.

If you actually have respect for what you do and the franchise you wear every night and the name that is on the front of your jersey then you don't just turn around and sign with the enemy.
    Says who? TMT? Think Ray gives a ****?

The same argument can be made, if the Celtics have respect for Ray, they don't trade him to Memphis and shop him every season and offseason.

People do what they feel is in their own best interest. Funny how only players get criticized for it.

Free agency, look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by livinglegend
    I can guarantee you that he wont be involve in any trade discussions.

Celtics offered him a no trade clause

Nobody is exempt from trade discussions. Rondo and Pierce were also touted about by Ainge and they didnt let it affect their game did they?

If he was honest and just came out and admitted that he's gone to Miami because he believes he's a better shot at a ring then I'd have more respect for him.

He seems to be leaking stories making Boston out to be the bad guys when we offered him a big contract,no trade clause and given assurances he still had a role on the team.

I am your soldier!

They've had 2 series with the Lakers since the 80s. They've played LeBron/Wade and them together on the Heat much more. Miami is their rival right now.

If you don't understand how much of a bitch move this was by Ray I can't help you.

Ray signed to the rival, for half the money, has to move his family and change doctors and leave a great diabetes care center, learn a new system, and essentially said "f*ck you" to Ainge/Rondo/Pierce/KG with this choice.

Da Mavs

If you actually have respect for what you do and the franchise you wear every night and the name that is on the front of your jersey then you don't just turn around and sign with the enemy.
    I think it's ignorant to think these guys aren't friends beyond their teams and that they don't have relationships beyond the teams they play for. There is no such thing as an "enemy" in this case. It's all fan-fic and media driven. These players don't actually hate each other, they are really a part of an intricately woven brotherhood as guys in the league. I don't even see why Ray should be "loyal" when the team almost traded him and didn't recruit him as hard as KG.

It's been said time and time again, but this game is really just a business. Even to the common person, a better situation or better pay or what ever you desire will drive you away from even the job where you have all your friends. Same goes for Ray, it wasn't about money but about how comfortable he was and winning. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by 50inchvertical
    Says who? TMT? Think Ray gives a ****?

The same argument can be made, if the Celtics have respect for Ray, they don't trade him to Memphis and shop him every season and offseason.

People do what they feel is in their own best interest. Funny how only players get criticized for it.

Free agency, look it up.
    Rondo and Pierce have been shopped as well, you don't see them demanding a trade do you? Do you honestly think the Celtics would have traded Ray had he decided to resign with them?

I'm not saying Ray does give a ****, but he should. That organization is the reason he didn't end his career with nothing to show for it but the record for 3 point shots and all star appearances.

Great college starter 50inchvertical's Avatar

The Celtics traded Ray, it just didn't go through. He got traded to Memphis for OJ Mayo. Doc called him and told him, Mayo bitched and said he wouldn't sign an extension in Boston and so they nullified the trade, again AFTER they had already told him. And yes, they have been dangling him since 09

They have also been trying to minimize his role and fade him out in favor of a 2nd yr player. He didn't complain, just did whatever they asked. When they said come off the bench, he did so.
    Last edited by 50inchvertical; 07-08-2012 at 02:59 AM.

I think it's ignorant to think these guys aren't friends beyond their teams and that they don't have relationships beyond the teams they play for. There is no such thing as an "enemy" in this case. It's all fan-fic and media driven. These players don't actually hate each other, they are really a part of an intricately woven brotherhood as guys in the league. I don't even see why Ray should be "loyal" when the team almost traded him and didn't recruit him as hard as KG.

It's been said time and time again, but this game is really just a business. Even to the common person, a better situation or better pay or what ever you desire will drive you away from even the job where you have all your friends. Same goes for Ray, it wasn't about money but about how comfortable he was and winning. End of story.
    Oh, what, so now Lebron and Wade are Ray's best buddies? Give me a break.
    If you asked Ray or any of the Celtics for that matter if they didn't like the Heat they'd probably respond with a "hell yeah".

You are right when you say he has the right to take less money if it makes him happy. But bottom line he's a traitor, he signed with the enemy in order to tag along for another ring or two when in reality this team would win more without him anyway. Take it however you want to. But I will continue to look at it from my perspective, and to me it's a dick move.

Da Mavs

Rondo and Pierce have been shopped as well, you don't see them demanding a trade do you? Do you honestly think the Celtics would have traded Ray had he decided to resign with them?

I'm not saying Ray does give a ****, but he should. That organization is the reason he didn't end his career with nothing to show for it but the record for 3 point shots and all star appearances.
    Ah, here we go with this one. Do people actually believe that these guys base their careers off whether they win a title or not? They are professional athletes, they make more money than you can dream of and play the sport they love for a profession. It's disgraceful to say Ray Allen's career sans Celtics years is nothing to show. He was a surefire hall of famer whether he did or didn't ever put a Celtics uni on.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTruth#34
    Celtics offered him a no trade clause

Nobody is exempt from trade discussions. Rondo and Pierce were also touted about by Ainge and they didnt let it affect their game did they?

If he was honest and just came out and admitted that he's gone to Miami because he believes he's a better shot at a ring then I'd have more respect for him.

He seems to be leaking stories making Boston out to be the bad guys when we offered him a big contract,no trade clause and given assurances he still had a role on the team.
    Let s be real, they offered him that big contract and no trade clause only because they didn't want him to go to Miami. If it wasn't for Miami, they wouldn't chase him that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by 50inchvertical
    The Celtics traded Ray, it just didn't go through. He got traded to Memphis for OJ Mayo. Doc called him and told him, Mayo bitched and said he wouldn't sign an extension in Boston and so they nullified the trade, again AFTER they had already told him. And yes, they have been dangling him since 09/
    How many rumors have you heard concerning Rondo or Pierce? Regardless these guys bleed green because of what the organization has given them and what it means to them.

If you asked Ray or any of the Celtics for that matter if they didn't like the Heat they'd probably respond with a "hell yeah".

You are right when you say he has the right to take less money if it makes him happy. But bottom line he's a traitor, he signed with the enemy in order to tag along for another ring or two when in reality this team would win more without him anyway. Take it however you want to. But I will continue to look at it from my perspective, and to me it's a dick move.
    Good to see fans from others teams can see this for what it really is as well

Da Mavs

Never said they're best buddies, but basketball teams aren't like UN members, they aren't separate entities, the player movement and such is a very fluid concept.

And bottom line is, if he feels like he was mistreated and in a bad situation, he doesn't need to be loyal to that. He can move on with his career elsewhere.