Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112
    Good High School Starter nycelt84's Avatar

Default Re: Lockout talk: "Small markets can't compete"

Quote Originally Posted by gasolina
    That weird angle is called "giving all teams an equal chance"

For the most part it isn't worth debating now. Dallas was first to feel it by not signing Tyson Chandler. Time will only tell if the new cba has done its job
    If a guy is a free agent and wants to play for LA or NY or wherever I have no problem with it because things are not equal in real life. Most people would rather live and work in LA as opposed to Milwaukee and I see no reason why basketball players would be any different especially when basketball is a sport that's 80% Black.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nycelt84
    If a guy is a free agent and wants to play for LA or NY or wherever I have no problem with it because things are not equal in real life. Most people would rather live and work in LA as opposed to Milwaukee and I see no reason why basketball players would be any different especially when basketball is a sport that's 80% Black.
    Thank you.

No one is saying that there is anything to be done about it. There are people in this thread though that are claiming that what you just said doesnt even EXIST.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    If you noticed I wrote TEAM as well. The Lakers moved from Minneapolis, where they were a basketball dynasty to a BIGGER market.. hmm I wonder why. Thyey were the first team to start winning in basketball and they decide to move to the second biggest city in the country. I wonder why. If small markets really can prevail why didnt they stay in Minneapolis? Why move to LA once they started having success?

The Clippers have a reputation as being a shitty organization. They're the islanders of the NBA. It doesnt matter that they're in LA because they're very clearly the Lakers little brother. TEAM and CITY matter. You have to look at the franchise's history because thats what player's do.

Right after you can accept that the Lakers in THIS generation have used their big market bias in part to take 5 titles from the rest of the league over a span of 10 years. And this is a trend that is only growing. You referencing the 60s over and over doesnt have anything to do with the here and now.

Yet you like to bring up the fact that Boston won so many titles, despite most of them coming in the 1960s.

KBlaze - nobody's responding to your "red" arguments because it's not the issue. Don't you think you're holding on to NBA history too much that your opinion is so clouded by it?

Let's go back to where this started. Do you think the small markets wanted the lockout because they were sick of the 30+ championships in between the Lakers, Celtics, and Bulls?

NEWSFLASH! The reason why the lockout happened was because A) half the teams were losing money, B) the rise of superteams. Nothing in there was because the Celtics and Lakers were winning too much.

You're the only one who keeps bringing all these ancient history back to support your points. The fact is that none of your points matter.

Stick to the matter at hand. Nobody's complaining that Magic, Bird, Russell won all those chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Yet you like to bring up the fact that Boston won so many titles, despite most of them coming in the 1960s.
    Ive been focusing my argument on the past decade, as that is what is affecting right now. Thats the trend.

Now we have tons of reports of Dwight and/or Deron possibly coming to LA. The Lakers always have a better shot at landing these top guys than smaller, lesser known franchises. And if they end up there like they have over the recent past, then that will definitely affect the balance of the league.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Ive been focusing my argument on the past decade, as that is what is affecting right now. Thats the trend.

Now we have tons of reports of Dwight and/or Deron possibly coming to LA. The Lakers always have a better shot at landing these top guys than smaller, lesser known franchises. And if they end up there like they have over the recent past, then that will definitely affect the balance of the league.

You're the one that posted the damn map.

And if Deron goes to LA, he will be going to a smaller market.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

If you noticed I wrote TEAM as well. The Lakers moved from Minneapolis, where they were a basketball dynasty to a BIGGER market.. hmm I wonder why. Thyey were the first team to start winning in basketball and they decide to move to the second biggest city in the country. I wonder why. If small markets really can prevail why didnt they stay in Minneapolis? Why move to LA once they started having success?

They didnt. They moved to La when they stopped having success. It was after Mikan was gone. Baylor was young. I wanna saythey made a finals with Baylor in Minny but its quite innacurate to say they moved when they had success.

The Clippers have a reputation as being a shitty organization. They're the islanders of the NBA. It doesnt matter that they're in LA because they're very clearly the Lakers little brother. TEAM and CITY matter. You have to look at the franchise's history because thats what player's do.

Of course. Which...has little to do with location. Which is the whole point.

Right after you can accept that the Lakers in THIS generation have used their big market bias in part to take 5 titles from the rest of the league over a span of 10 years. And this is a trend that is only growing. You referencing the 60s over and over doesnt have anything to do with the here and now.

Right after I accept it?

I could probably show you 4 years of me saying just that. The Lakers always get out of the blue WTF players added.

But to act like its a multi team thing is just ignoring the facts.

And really....big market bias to take 5 titles?

Things like this are one of my biggest problems with all this.

They didnt take shit. Nobody was robbed of anyone. Over a 70 year period the lakers have managed to get Kareem to come almost 40 years ago and Shaq and in a lesser way Kobe 16 years ago.

They won at about the same rate as the Spurs(who may win again) who did the exact opposite thing.

But instead of the Spurs and 5-6 other great teams being called the model as they should we have people acting like the Lakers come along and gobble up all the rings by cheating when teams who didnt do it the way they did have won more and always have.

And as usual its not half as simple as people who cant stand to look beyond the obvious try to make it.

Read any of the articles about Shaq in Orlando towards the end. The Orlando paper polls saying the fans would rather have Brian Hill stay than Shaq. People saying Penny was the best player. Claims the magic didnt wanna give him the Lakers money till it came out he was about to leave for them. After he left....Magic fans saying he wasnt worth what he wanted. Many examples of this in a topic we had a while back on the old newsgroup forum type posts from the 80s and 90s.

But 16 years later Orlando was robbed of its star who they did everything for and loved so dear.

Shaq wasnt stolen. And the Lakers didnt win 5 rings by taking anyone. As is always the case they were not even winning whe nthey made poor basketball decisions. Manage to swap Kwame for Gasol...bam. Back in the game.

But lakers taking taking taking...

Memphis doesnt take Kwame for Gasol and the lakers huge bias helps them to 3 rings in 25 years and no more of an impact on the league than at least 3 teams who just drafted everyone. But...whatever.

If people were gonna consider basketball decisions in who wins what they would have started by now....

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    You're the one that posted the damn map.

And if Deron goes to LA, he will be going to a smaller market.
    Why do you always argue bullshit semantics?

KBlaze - nobody's responding to your "red" arguments because it's not the issue. Don't you think you're holding on to NBA history too much that your opinion is so clouded by it?
    I think I know too much about NBa history to disregard some of the absurd claims when people do things like post a map showing who won titles as if anyone who looked into it couldnt explain it away with basketball.

Let's go back to where this started. Do you think the small markets wanted the lockout because they were sick of the 30+ championships in between the Lakers, Celtics, and Bulls?

NEWSFLASH! The reason why the lockout happened was because A) half the teams were losing money, B) the rise of superteams. Nothing in there was because the Celtics and Lakers were winning too much.
    I think the lockout happened because the CBA expired. And why do I think that? Because as usual....ive looked into it and there has been a lockout or near one EVERY time the CBA expired since like 1970. There was a lockout now, in 98, a brief one in like 94, and narrowly avoided one in the 80s and on and on. I think there was a lockout for the same reason the players almost walked out when Bob Cousy couldnt get the owners to agree on 7 dollars a day per player for meals(look into that...amusing story if you have the time).

It happened because because greedy people play hardball to get more of what they want.

There was a lockout when the cap was set at like 4 million dollars and the NBA was doing the best business it ever had.

And next time there will be a lockout too.

Its how the greedy settle these disputes over money.

You're the only one who keeps bringing all these ancient history back to support your points. The fact is that none of your points matter.

Stick to the matter at hand. Nobody's complaining that Magic, Bird, Russell won all those chips.
    If by nobody you mean a word...other than nobody. you are right. I really need to post the replies in this topic alone that show that?

When people stop talking titles in the past ill stop explaining to them why they dont have a clue what they are talking about.

Why do you always argue bullshit semantics?
    Really though....lets be honest about this one...

How do you use Deron Williams leaving New york for anywhere to support your idea that players flock to places like New York?

Wouldnt his leaving NY just means...players go where they are happy?

Im thinking he ends up in Dallas. Hometown(kinda). Gona need a point. Good fit. Fans want him bad.

Lakers would be a stretch. And they would have to give up pretty good value in a sign and trade anyway so nobody would get ripped off. Not like the Nets have his rights anyway.

Made that high school varsity squad

Boston is a small market?

hahahahaha

Red Sox
    Patriots
    Celtics

One of the largest and most diehard basketball fanbases are Celtics fans.

Have you gone to one of the games? they have security permanently stationed in the upper deck. Their fans are nuts.

Indiana, small market? OKC, even, yes. Boston, nope. Not even Philly can be considered a small market for the NBA.

You cant use city size to compare teams. For example the hockey market is relatively small out west in cities like LA, yet despite LA being huge they are not known as a huge hockey market.

Spurs have always proved the small markets cant compete adage wrong.