Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: why do people underrate Joe Johnson?

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Get over it?

People dont care about Joe Johnson. Not really. If they cared and formed strong opinions about anything but his contract him doing well would be something to get over.

As it is....he just does largely irrelevant things in the background of the league on a team that never has been or will be taken serious until they do more than almost matter.

There is nothing to get over. Joe Johnson is like...the 15th-40th best player in the league and that unusually wide range is that just because people dont care enough to really evaluate his standing.

One year he looks worse than Monta ellis one year hes maybe....nipping at the hells of 3rd tier stars?

Scoring 17 unimpressive points in a playoff loss?

Driving his Transformer F-650 around?

Im as big an NBA fan as you will ever find and I live an hour and change from Atlanta.

You know the most discussion ive ever heard about him? When a woman I knew like 10 years ago posted a facebook picture of them together after he hit on her outside Gladys Knights chicken and waffles in Atlanta.

And most of that discussion was about his white Aston Martin he took her for a ride in.

Thats Joe Johnson. A guy who is gonna fade away from the memory of this eras fans 40 minutes after he retires and will always be more famous for his contract and 200 thousand dollar train horn having truck that made white people mad on the internet.

If the Hawks win the title this year(.....) it likely just means Josh Smith played out of his mind while Joe played roughly on the level of Hersey Hawkins for 38 minutes a game and made 2 impressive late jumpers in 5 total playoff games that ended up being key.

Nothing he does at this point will make him a real star short of straight 2011 Dirking it in a round or two and guess what?

If he does it....Lebron, Kobe, Durant, Rose, and Paul NOT winning the title will be a bigger story than him beating them.

Joe Johnson is not and will not be a major figure in the league.

That is more of a "Get over it" situation.

Just saying is all...
    A simple u mad bro would have sufficed.

NBA Superstar

I also do not find many aspects of Joe Johnson's game to be exciting. That likely works against him as well. He sort of reminds me of Mitch Richmond or Shareef Abdur-Rahim, guys you know were putting up numbers but were just . . . kind of out there in some kind of NBA space void.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 04-26-2012 at 12:49 PM.

his contract didnt underrate him

i guess im the only non-hawks fan who finds his game appealing

he got a really versatile scoring arsenal, but isnt elite at anything

Quote Originally Posted by knickswin
    but he is a really good player. if he were in a more winning culture, that would be better for him.
    but he a vet, and hes making like 20 million dollars this year, he should be setting the tone, instilling a winning culture

as for his contract, i dont think its as bad as people say. At least it wasnt as bad a decision as people make it out to be. He was gonna get paid by somebody, not as much as he got, but they had to pay him or he would have left.

and had he left what would they have done? what free agents could they have gotten without his contract? cross your fingers and hope that deron like atlanta? thats about your onl hope. without that, your just a middling team, not good enough to get a draft pick, and not good enough to contend

at least this way, they can peak as, maybe a conference finalist? maybe, say somebody gets injured? its a possibility

if i were a hawk fan, id rather that, than a 500 team with no real room for growth.

Quote Originally Posted by JGXEN
    Anyone thinks Johnson is a very poor man's LeBron James? Both are versatile players who can score, play the point, distribute the ball and make plays. But most importantly, both JJ and LBJ seems to be mentally soft.

Nope.

lol

I think he's a little similar to Mitch Richmond.

he dosent get noticed that much cos he isnt a true superstar tbh the only time he does get notice is when evryone is lauphing at the hawks for the contract they gave him

on his day hes deserves that contract which tbh is often but other time he nowhere near deserves it like the games he just seems really lazy no demanding the ball and slow

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

and had he left what would they have done? what free agents could they have gotten without his contract? cross your fingers and hope that deron like atlanta? thats about your onl hope. without that, your just a middling team, not good enough to get a draft pick, and not good enough to contend

Is that not exactly what they have been for the last 6 years?

Local High School Star TryToBeUnbias's Avatar

He's an underachiever

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

When he is worth rating...we'll see how he rates.

17/5/4 on 42/38/76 splits 50% TS

You guessed it...the career playoff numbers of a max salary player in the NBA.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    i guess im the only non-hawks fan who finds his game appealing

he got a really versatile scoring arsenal, but isnt elite at anything

but he a vet, and hes making like 20 million dollars this year, he should be setting the tone, instilling a winning culture

as for his contract, i dont think its as bad as people say. At least it wasnt as bad a decision as people make it out to be. He was gonna get paid by somebody, not as much as he got, but they had to pay him or he would have left.

at least this way, they can peak as, maybe a conference finalist? maybe, say somebody gets injured? its a possibility

if i were a hawk fan, id rather that, than a 500 team with no real room for growth.
    How is his contract not as bad as it seems? If we average up his stats: 19ppg 4.0rpg (3.7) 4.0apg...they are not close to worth 20 million dollars. This is probably the worst contract since Rashard Lewis. When he signed this contract he wasn't getting any better either, but worse. I know the Hawks franchise is desperate to keep any kind of "stars" they can, but it's a terrible contract.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

cuz his name is joe johnson

5-time NBA All-Star

Sometimes my favorite teams will play Atlanta. Josh Smith will make me watch him and I think, wow, that mofo got potential. Then I keep watching and you notice Al Horford, last year, and say that guy is useable and he's big. Then see Joe Johnson and think the same things but I am compelled to turn the channel and pick another game to watch.

For whatever the reason I won't know the score, or any other dynamic of the game. And I probably won't turn back to that game. I don't even know the number of the players and amuse myself with the fact that Marvin Williams actually got handles and reminds me a bit of Joe Johnson. Then I think of some invention I should go and get get the patent on. Joe Johnson???

Quote Originally Posted by JGXEN
    Hawks fans seem to be the most attention deprived fans on ISH huh?
    they're the new spurs fans

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Is that not exactly what they have been for the last 6 years?
    stuck as a 500. team <<< stuck as an above average playoff team

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    How is his contract not as bad as it seems? If we average up his stats: 19ppg 4.0rpg (3.7) 4.0apg...they are not close to worth 20 million dollars. This is probably the worst contract since Rashard Lewis. When he signed this contract he wasn't getting any better either, but worse. I know the Hawks franchise is desperate to keep any kind of "stars" they can, but it's a terrible contract.
    context

i explained my reasoning in the very post that you quoted

didnt average 20 pts per game