Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Thunder set local TV ratings record. NBA destroys MLB in TV ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by YAWN
    Is it insane to assume the sports fans in Miami decided to watch the heat battle the #1 team in the NBA with the biggest threat to their superstars MVP chances a mere handful of days after being embarrassed by them? Seems pretty logical to me.
    actually, the marlins game drew a bigger rating locally than the heat-thunder game (5.4 rating vs 3.6)

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012...heat-in-miami/

there seems to be a trend of MLB get better ratings locally, with the NBA doing a little better nationally. i think these numbers are from 2010, but baseball kills the NBA in the large majority of markets

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p...BA-vs-NHL.aspx

it's probably a bit different now, but i'd be curious to know by how much

I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

Default Re: Thunder set local TV ratings record. NBA destroys MLB in TV ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by kurt_rambis
    actually, the marlins game drew a bigger rating locally than the heat-thunder game (5.4 rating vs 3.6)

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012...heat-in-miami/

there seems to be a trend of MLB get better ratings locally, with the NBA doing a little better nationally. i think these numbers are from 2010, but baseball kills the NBA in the large majority of markets

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p...BA-vs-NHL.aspx

it's probably a bit different now, but i'd be curious to know by how much
    You are right, MLB almost always dominates locally, while the NBA gets better national ratings. Playoffs are about even.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2010...r-nba-mlb-and/

Quote Originally Posted by YAWN
    Yes i read the OP. thunder + clippers = two marquee teams jostling for playoff seeding, right?

Phillies versus the awful marlins. Im sure there were still 50,000 people in the stadium, but do you really want Yankees, Red Sox, or Dodger fans to give a shit about that meaningless beginning of the season game?

Again. The god awful marlins vs the cards. Im sure St louis households were glued to the tv, there were probably 40k people still at the game.

Last night I was watching the Lakers play at the same time the Dodgers were playing. If the roles were reversed and the MLB season was winding down.. The Dodgers fighting the Padres for the division, and the Lakers were playing a meaningless regular season game against the Bobcats, id be watching the Dodgers game.

Is it insane to assume the sports fans in Miami decided to watch the heat battle the #1 team in the NBA with the biggest threat to their superstars MVP chances a mere handful of days after being embarrassed by them? Seems pretty logical to me.

In regards to your golf comment...Not when tiger or phil are in the hunt on Sunday as I mentioned in my post. People tune away from regular season NFL games in hordes to watch Tiger play golf. 100% fact. Tiger won a small tournament a couple weeks ago and pulled in a 4. something overnighter. Every time Tiger has been in the hunt for majors on Sunday golf has insane ratings that even beat out those NFL games.

Please read the OP again. Games involving the Golden State Warriors and Portland Trailblazers were out-drawing MLB regular season games.

Plus the NBA games were airing at later time-slots outside of the primetime TV window in the EST. Yet they still outdrew the baseball game. I would add that the baseball game should have been fresh for its fans in that the season was just starting. In addition the Phillies ARE A MARQUEE NATIONAL BASEBALL TEAM.

As for Golf, even with Tiger Woods in contention, the sport doesn't COME CLOSE TO touching the NFL. Nothing does. Tiger pulling a 4.0 rating is nothing for an NFL game. NFL preseason games draw better than that. An NFL regular season game can draw up to 4 times that number. A playoff and/or Super Bowl game is off the charts.

I really think you need to do more home work before addressing this thread again. Google is your friend.

BTW, Tiger Woods first PGA win since since his fall from grace earned a 4.8 overnight rating. Which for Golf is phenomenal! However for the world of NFL football, such a rating is laughable.

Want proof.

The NFL Pro Bowl drew a 7.9 TV rating. Yes, the sorry Pro Bowl drew a TV audience greater than a Tiger Woods victory or even some Baseball and NBA playoff games! That's how big the NFL is. To compare anything to the NFL is foolhardy. Again.... google is your friend. Please use it before responding again.

Just because I find this stuff interesting, I actually went back and looked at the the TV ratings for the 2011 World Series. I found this interesting nugget.

Game 3 of the World Series (10/22/11) actually only got a 6.6 TV rating.

The NFL Pro Bowl this past year got a 7.9!

Yes, that's right folks, the NFL Pro Bowl, which even by the standards of die-hard NFL fans is a useless activity, actually drew a larger audience than at least one World Series game. Amazing.

BTW.. in case you are wondering, the lowest rated or least watched NBA Finals game of 2011 was 9.0 TV rating for Game 1.

That's pretty sad for what use to be America's pastime.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Velocirap31
    Best sport in the world. Too bad it'll never catch football.
    Nothing will ever catch football idiot. By far the most popular sport in the world. Every country except USA, India, China.

Quote Originally Posted by NauruDude
    Nothing will ever catch football idiot. By far the most popular sport in the world. Every country except USA, India, China.
    No one gives a shit about American football outside of North America. If you mean soccer, it'll never catch that. Idiot.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex
    Just because I find this stuff interesting, I actually went back and looked at the the TV ratings for the 2011 World Series. I found this interesting nugget.

Game 3 of the World Series (10/22/11) actually only got a 6.6 TV rating.

The NFL Pro Bowl this past year got a 7.9!

Yes, that's right folks, the NFL Pro Bowl, which even by the standards of die-hard NFL fans is a useless activity, actually drew a larger audience than at least one World Series game. Amazing.

BTW.. in case you are wondering, the lowest rated or least watched NBA Finals game of 2011 was 9.0 TV rating for Game 1.

That's pretty sad for what use to be America's pastime.
    People are idiots is all that tells me. That world series was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    People are idiots is all that tells me. That world series was amazing.

Fair point.

I'm not disputing what is or is not amazing. Nor am I debating what people should or should not be watching. I am only posting what the numbers tell us.

If i could add my own 2 scents, how anyone could watch the NFL Pro Bowl is beyond me. But for some reason they do... in droves.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex
    Fair point.

I'm not disputing what is or is not amazing. Nor am I debating what people should or should not be watching. I am only posting what the numbers tell us.

If i could add my own 2 scents, how anyone could watch the NFL Pro Bowl is beyond me. But for some reason they do... in droves.
    I cant lie i love baseball but it is konda hard to watch if my team isnt playing. Unless it is anoter big market team is playing or the playoffs, or a nasty pitcher.

Bud Selig needs to find away to bring home run back up.. I miss those days.