Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Wade: NBA players should be paid for Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    Wade is getting the backlash when he was just AGREEING with Ray Allen who brought it up first

Christ you people cant read.

And i dont see why its wrong to say that. Obviously the Mens national basketball team for USA is the top drawing attraction of the olympics. The revenue stream cant be hogged entirely by the USA Basketball.
    Ray got this backlash years ago when he was a star. It's not a big story coming from him anymore lol. Wade should know better

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    why not? Somebody is making money of their games why shouldn't the players get a piece of the pie?

Why are they less entitled to revenue than the company that televises their games? Or the company that sells olympic jerseys?
    Better idea: no one forces these guys to play for the national team. If he's not satisfied with the arrangement, nothing's stopping him from not playing.

Quote Originally Posted by konex
    I'm not saying they're not entitled to it but the Olympics also makes money off the other athletes who don't make a fraction of what Wade makes and you don't see them asking for pay. You parlay your success into endorsement deals, that's just how it works.

Wade needs to realize he comes off as a huge d-bag with these comments
    I dont see why Wade should get most of the blame for thinking out loud what most NBA players and the community are thinking. Ray Allen obviously thinks the same way so I am assuming other NBA players feel the same.

and Wade knew what he was doing with those comments. This is the kind of story that will spark a huge debate and will bring in comments from past participants of the Men's national basketball teams.

Next Great White Hope QuebecBaller's Avatar

Nba players have a family to feed

But seriously, they should be proud to represent their country. Many athletes work very hard for 4 years to have the chance to be selected and participate in the olympics. For Nba players, it's just: " Do you want to participate? Ok, you're on the team"

Wade should be banned from the olympics

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Not really. The Olympics are pretty much a money loser for all involved.
    TV stations lose money broadcasting the games? I doubt that.

This is only a problem if more players start to want compensation. Right now Dwade and Allen have no leverage, because they'll easily be replaced with someone who will play for free. Therefore, the worth of their labor is 0, because other people will do it for free.

however, I don't see anything morally wrong with wanting a piece of revenue that you helped produce

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    TV stations lose money broadcasting the games? I doubt that.

This is only a problem if more players start to want compensation. Right now Dwade and Allen have no leverage, because they'll easily be replaced with someone who will play for free. Therefore, the worth of their labor is 0, because other people will do it for free.

however, I don't see anything morally wrong with wanting a piece of revenue that you helped produce
    NBC lost over 200 million on the Vancouver games.

Quote Originally Posted by swi7ch
    The world revolves around money so Ray Allen and Wade have a point. It'd be nice if honor and pride could pay bills but sadly no.

Summer Olympics totally a different story.

winter olympics man who gives a crap? The only thing anyone watches is the hockey.

They made an estimated 110 million on the last summer games.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl
    Most athletes stay at the Olympic Village. The hosting country pays for the construction of this and makes money back from the masses of tourism (and publicity generated). Presumably those who choose to stay elsewhere are payed for privately (presumably by something like USA Basketball).

I'm not saying players should be payed, only that the Olympics isn't what it used to be and is now super-commercial and I don't know where that money goes.
    the ioc gets most of the money i think

Quote Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
    No olympic athlete gets paid for their participation. Why should NBA players be any different?
    get your facts straight. a lot of Olympic athletes are paid to participate. idk about your country, but in my country, they have a regular stipend, and full support from the government. that's aside from taking home a million if they bag gold.

wade is talking about all the work you have to put in for the olympics during the summer... im sorry that 1 time every for years you have to work in the offseason like normal people.

making 14 million per season plus endorsement and having a chance to win a game for you country isn't enough? he is complaining about the minimal amount of jerseys they sell? god damn he is stupid.

lebron said the right thing.

Banned

It's his opinion. Respect for saying it.

Are you kidding me? This f@ggot has the opportunity to play for and represent his country in the Olympics, and he thinks he should get paid for it?