Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

Default Re: Wade: NBA players should be paid for Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick
    I understand if he was maybe speaking for like a diver, or some other lesser sport to get paid, but he's only looking out for bball players. You're already rich how much more do you want?

i agree, and wish Wade would never have said this. Him and Lebron are perpetually treading on water because of who they are and what they'v done. Granted Wade hasn't done much in comparison to Lebron, but they are hated men. Wade should've thought before coming out and saying this.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by donald_trump
    so why should the players not be compensated giving up time, risk of injury, etc?
    Is money the only compensation possible in life???

They get recognition, increase their marketability, get the honor of representing their nation, may enter HoF thanks to olympics, can train with the best athlets of other disciplines... in addition they can say yes or not when called by the olympic coach.

do not like, do not go.

NBA rookie of the year 04mzwach's Avatar

why?

would you like to represent your country for free at your job in your holiday time?

and yet he still does it.
    Yes, it would be an honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertyazerty

They get recognition, increase their marketability, get the honor of representing their nation, may enter HoF thanks to olympics, can train with the best athlets of other disciplines... in addition they can say yes or not when called by the olympic coach.

do not like, do not go.

++++

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

I think in retrospect...and especially during the lockout...

players might have looked over the books and saw just how much money SEVERAL parties made from them wanting to represent their country.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

99.9 percent of players once paid , expect to be paid for everything they do...

Ever notice a autograph session when a player has the obligation to promote his team ..that player is gone as soon as the clock hits his departure time
    They have more important things to do with their lives than spend time with fans and promote a country that is in the toilet , like find hookers , working on their tweeter accounts and buying cheap ferrari's.

Like any pro player they hav their charity organizations .... which they probably never visit , but get that sweet tax break as a good guy

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper
    99.9 percent of players once paid , expect to be paid for everything they do...

Ever notice a autograph session when a player has the obligation to promote his team ..that player is gone as soon as the clock hits his departure time
    They have more important things to do with their lives than spend time with fans and promote a country that is in the toilet , like find hookers , working on their tweeter accounts and buying cheap ferrari's.

Like any pro player they hav their charity organizations .... which they probably never visit , but get that sweet tax break as a good guy

and you'd be different if you were a pro athlete??

im a superhero

do not like, do not go.
    wade, lebron, kobe have to increase their marketability? its hardly going to do anything for these athletes already at the peak of their popularity.
    it would if they got money from the jerseys at the olympics sold by them, etc.

yes. what if they are injured? going down and ending your career, you want some money. i think hardly anyone cares about the honor and bravery at that point in which they had representing their country.
    as has always been the case, the people in the country have always been more loyal than the country to the people. so enough with that overrated bullshit.

and as wade said, he was asked and simply commented. no where did he say he didnt want to play because of it.

Decent playground baller

wade, lebron, kobe have to increase their marketability? its hardly going to do anything for these athletes already at the peak of their popularity.
    it would if they got money from the jerseys at the olympics sold by them, etc.

yes. what if they are injured? going down and ending your career, you want some money. i think hardly anyone cares about the honor and bravery at that point in which they had representing their country.
    as has always been the case, the people in the country have always been more loyal than the country to the people. so enough with that overrated bullshit.

and as wade said, he was asked and simply commented. no where did he say he didnt want to play because of it.
    Till the moment, the only team success Lebron has had is in international tournaments. His most important one is 2008 Olympic gold.
    That 2008 final was epic, I mean, it has been one of the most exciting games I've seen. Everybody was talking wonders about your national team and its players. I'm sure none of those huge egos would've love to be let apart of that moment. It has also been reported that, thanks to that summer cohabitation, Lebron, Wade and Bosh decided to play together... I don't know you, but I personally think that tournament gave them much more than money.

In the spanish side, people like Rubio or Fernandez were suddenly known by your country fellows and finally landed in NBA with a very decent "cach
    Last edited by Qwertyazerty; 04-12-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Loserville USA FireMcFailPlease's Avatar

What a loser... stfu dwyane. we dont need your ass to capture gold anyeays

Charles Barkley said on the Dan Patrick show he disagrees with Dwyane and where he came from with the original Dream Team, they set the bar high and it should stay that way. He said players should be proud of representing their country and thats it. He also said he got something like 75k as a bonus and the recommendation was for him to donate it back into a charity of his choice. I cant say i agree with Charles. Times are a bit different now.

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

Stars using star power as leverage. What a shame

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I hope all the people siding with Wade on this also believe that the NCAA athletes should get paid as well. If not, you're a hypocrite.

3-time NBA All-Star

do not like, do not go.
    The increase in marketability factor is irrelevant because they have other avenues to increase their marketability while also getting directly paid for it.

I think his main point is that a ton of money is made for the Olympics specifically off of them through endorsements and ratings. That millions of dollars is going to corporate executives that really aren't responsible for the product like the athletes themselves. Its pretty much the same argument against the NCAA.

Its easy to call him selfish by looking at what he already makes, but even if you think that, the athletes still aren't exactly getting treated fairly in the grand scheme of things. Call him unpatriotic if you want, but what does that make the people actually get the monetary gain from it? It would be one thing if alll the proceeds from the Olympics goes to charity but thats not the case.

NBA Superstar

man all they want is more money, even when they're already making tens of millions playing a sport they love. theres just something really wrong with NBA athletes in particular and how they act so entitled, more than most other sports athletes. reminds me of lebron saying he'd do the slam dunk contest if there was a million dollar prize... how about doing it for your fans?