Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Robinson vs. Ewing

I'll take Ewing. While Robinson was an amazing freak of athlete, he lacked the desire and hunger in which Ewing possess. Statistic-wise, Ewing was always be lower than Robinson due to the fact that the Knicks offense ran much slower pace than San Antonio. Slower pace = less possessions. Ewing's Knicks were always rank one of the lowest offensive pace at that time.
    Ewing also was a better leader than Robinson. He would often give his teammate an earful if he didn't get the ball, ill-advised technicals, dumb plays. Ewing was never afraid to be the man to take the last shot. I can't say the same for Robinson.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    I knew that BTW, but I pretty much based my argument on that simple fact. Robinson was actually dead even with Hakeem in their 42 regular season H2H games, BTW.
    Okay fair enough but your argument (and their H2H) wasn't posted in this thread at least so put it here so either you or anyone interested in H2H after your comments.

I think I'd heard you say that about Hakeem vs Robinson before (in a debate which in itself was reffering to a previous thread). Not entirely surprising Robinson vs Olajuwon was considered equal or Robinson a little better at the time (Robinson particularly favourable when Olajuwon nearly left Houston in 92), and Robinson's numbers were a little better. Olajuwon had better longevity (Robinson's career numbers below what they could have been partly because of 2 year Navy stint, year missed injured and the affects of those injuries and the fact he sublimated his game and minutes once Duncan arrived) of course so probably is a little ahead (in GOAT list) but the gap isn't what most would have it as IMHO. Of course Hakeem was exceptional vs D-Rob in that one series and it happened to be important but I don't hold that as a huge negative for assessing Robinson's career.

Good High School Starter

I'll take Robinson

Local High School Star

Patrick Ewing was a better player at his best than David Robinson's mermaid loving ass ever was.

damn i want this kind of talent back in the nba..... i miss the 5 centers i was spoiled on ewing, robinson, alonzo, shaq, and hakeem...

robinson accomplished more... but ewing carried a team in ny and couldve been one of the all time greats for doing so if he'd won his two chips in the finals. possibly three...

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by LockoutOver11
    damn i want this kind of talent back in the nba..... i miss the 5 centers i was spoiled on ewing, robinson, alonzo, shaq, and hakeem...

robinson accomplished more... but ewing carried a team in ny and couldve been one of the all time greats for doing so if he'd won his two chips in the finals. possibly three...
    Robinson carried a lot worse teams the first half of his career.
    Oakley, Mason and Starks all made All-Star games and Harper is one of the greatest non all-stars. Robinson's teams did a little better with significantly worse teammates.
    Rodman was Robinson's all-star teammate and he was erratic in his SA stint and his skill set didn't complement Robinson's.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl
    Oakley, Mason and Starks all made All-Star games and Harper is one of the greatest non all-stars. Robinson's teams did a little better with significantly worse teammates.
    Rodman was Robinson's all-star teammate and he was erratic in his SA stint and his skill set didn't complement Robinson's.
    Mason was an All Star when he was with the Heat. Harper was already past his prime. Oakley and Starks were great supporting cast, never was close to being a star players.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl

my point is that if ewing wouldve won ny chips in the 90's... it would be ewing in the top 15 atleast if not more and replacing hakeem... doing in a stage like ny just makes legacies uprise more so than other places...

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by redhonda76
    Mason was an All Star when he was with the Heat. Harper was already past his prime. Oakley and Starks were great supporting cast, never was close to being a star players.
    Mason's AS appearance was indeed whilst at the Heat but I'd argue he was as good in his last couple of years in NY as he was at that time. Harper was past his prime but wasn't bad. Ewing had also played with Rod Strickland and Mark Jackson, guys who had seasons leading the league in assists and are amongst the all-time assists leaders so it's not like he was stuck with bad pgs.
    Avery Johnson was a CBA refuge, who was okay at running a team but wasn't particularly strong at creating his own shot, finishing, shooting from range was undersized and wasn't a great defender. Before that the Spurs experimented with Vinny Del Negro and Lloyd Daniels at the point. I'd take post prime Harper over those guys.
    I wouldn't bill the Knicks as stars but I think they did make a very good, very strong defensive supporting cast.

Great college starter

I miss the old 90's Knicks. They were ****ing tough. Smith, Oak, Mason, and Ewing in the middle. Theres no doubt in my mind if DROB had that kind of backup he would have won rings. He would have gotten then Knicks past the Bulls. He was much better on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by redhonda76
    I'll take Ewing. While Robinson was an amazing freak of athlete, he lacked the desire and hunger in which Ewing possess. Statistic-wise, Ewing was always be lower than Robinson due to the fact that the Knicks offense ran much slower pace than San Antonio. Slower pace = less possessions. Ewing's Knicks were always rank one of the lowest offensive pace at that time.
    Ewing also was a better leader than Robinson. He would often give his teammate an earful if he didn't get the ball, ill-advised technicals, dumb plays. Ewing was never afraid to be the man to take the last shot. I can't say the same for Robinson.
    That's what kind of what I was talking about in my previous post, that you can't just go by stats. I'm not just picking Ewing because I'm a Knicks fan, but just that people who were not Knicks fan disected them and they all choice Ewing after originally pickin Robison. I'll stick with Ewing.

Banned

Ask anybody who isn't from New York or who isn't a Knicks fan this question and they will all tell you the answer is Robinson. That is all you really need to know. Robinson was just on another tier than Ewing and it was just like that when they were both in their primes.

If you put Robinson on those Knicks, I honestly think they would have gotten past the Bulls or had a much better chance of getting the Bulls instead of Ewing.

Just want to post a Ewing video, since we rarely talk about him. Clutch shots vs Jordan. Kind of lucky in the last one thought http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huqgGxxVy94

But yeah, Ewing just had much more heart. Didn't he use to yell give him the ****ing ball. That is the opposite of Robinson. You never heard one of Ewing's teamates calling soft. Avery Johnson, Dennis Rodman calling Robinson soft, and who knows how many countless others.

give me ewing