Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year Kurosawa0's Avatar

Default Re: If Spurs win 5th title

Honestly, if you told me I would get these 15 years from Duncan versus the 13 from Bird, I honestly might take Duncan.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa0
    Honestly, if you told me I would get these 15 years from Duncan versus the 13 from Bird, I honestly might take Duncan.
    You left out another usage of honestly.

Yes, it would be ridiculous for a guy that has 5 rings to be considered being as good as players with 2 or 3.

I don't rank Kobe as high as Wilt or Bird, but he's in the conversation.
    No, it would be ridiculous to think Duncan winning another ring somehow raises where he is ranked among other NBA greats. Especially considering Duncan sits out games for "rest", doesnt even play 30mpg and has career lows in various stat categories. Yet somehow if Spurs won another ring? He gets a boost.

There isnt much Duncan can do to improve his legacy in the game of basketball. But hey if Spurs win another title in 3-4yrs and Duncan happens to be on the roster? Well how can you argue Duncan isnt arguable the greatest bball player of all time

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    You left out another usage of honestly.
    Listen, if you just dislike a player that's fine, but if you don't have an argument there's no reason to act like a moron.

Listen, if you just dislike a player that's fine, but if you don't have an argument there's no reason to act like a moron.
    Hardly dislike Duncan. Never was there a day I disliked Duncan. What I do dislike is silly arguments like the one you presented. That is what I dislike.

No, it would be ridiculous to think Duncan winning another ring somehow raises where he is ranked among other NBA greats. Especially considering Duncan sits out games for "rest", doesnt even play 30mpg and has career lows in various stat categories. Yet somehow if Spurs won another ring? He gets a boost.

There isnt much Duncan can do to improve his legacy in the game of basketball. But hey if Spurs win another title in 3-4yrs and Duncan happens to be on the roster? Well how can you argue Duncan isnt arguable the greatest bball player of all time

To me, right now, it's a debate between Wilt, Bird, Kobe and Duncan in those 5-8 spots. If Duncan is able to make a big run here and win a title (in this year no less) it does give him a big plus in his column.

I'm not someone who just looks at the number of rings and ranks players. It's just that you have to imagine what it would take for the Spurs to win a title this year. Dirk jumped in a lot of rankings this last year because of his run to a title and not just because he got a ring.

For Duncan to be able to slide down a gear and still be a stellar teammate and help his team win does mean something to me. If the Spurs win a title this year, I think that does change things a bit.

Duncan has been able to move down from being the main guy to being a bit more of a glue guy and high caliber role player with ease.

Right now, we see Kobe nightly struggling to do the same and it hurts his team. If Duncan wins a ring at this stage, yes, I think it does change his level for me a bit.

I don't see why that's crazy. Just like LeBron's level changes if he wins titles or not. It's not the number of rings, but how they're won.

To me, right now, it's a debate between Wilt, Bird, Kobe and Duncan in those 5-8 spots. If Duncan is able to make a big run here and win a title (in this year no less) it does give him a big plus in his column.

I'm not someone who just looks at the number of rings and ranks players. It's just that you have to imagine what it would take for the Spurs to win a title this year. Dirk jumped in a lot of rankings this last year because of his run to a title and not just because he got a ring.

For Duncan to be able to slide down a gear and still be a stellar teammate and help his team win does mean something to me. If the Spurs win a title this year, I think that does change things a bit.

Duncan has been able to move down from being the main guy to being a bit more of a glue guy and high caliber role player with ease.

Right now, we see Kobe nightly struggling to do the same and it hurts his team. If Duncan wins a ring at this stage, yes, I think it does change his level for me a bit.

I don't see why that's crazy. Just like LeBron's level changes if he wins titles or not. It's not the number of rings, but how they're won.
    Yes and Duncan being a high caliber role player/glue guy changes things.

Good one bro. No really.

Lebron is playing at a high level an elite bball player who has played half the amount of seasons Duncan has (roughly). Big difference with him being helped by winning rings vs someone like Duncan nearing an endin his career.

Drob didnt get helped by being in Duncans shoes (today). Dont see how Duncan gets helped.

Good one bro. No really.

Lebron is playing at a high level an elite bball player who has played half the amount of seasons Duncan has (roughly). Big difference with him being helped by winning rings vs someone like Duncan nearing an endin his career.

Drob didnt get helped by being in Duncans shoes (today). Dont see how Duncan gets helped.
    This difference is that Duncan at this moment means more to the Spurs than Robinson did back then. Unless, you know, you REALLY like Tony Parker.

You're really undervaluing what Duncan does for the Spurs. If you took him off that team and replaced him with Chris Bosh, do you really think they're second in the West right now?

This isn't like Shaq in Boston. For the Spurs to win a title Duncan will have to play very well and there's no doubt his minutes will go up. He's still the #2 or maybe #3 (with Manu healthy) guy on that team.

How many guys can you say were apart of championship cores for over 12 years? Russell and...

Good one bro. No really.

In all reality, another ring for Duncan means just about as much as Lebron getting his first this year with his buddy D-Wade. I don't get your argument of Duncan not playing 35+ minutes, therefor any success they bring shouldn't be credited to Duncan at all? He's old obviously, but still a huge part of what we do. You act like Duncan is frozen on the all time list because he is past his prime. With another title run, he would be neck and neck with Shaq as the greatest big man of their generation. You are a moron to suggest another ring would do nothing to his status.

He's currently playing 29 minutes a game, averaging 15 points, 9 boards, and a block and a half per game. People give Garnett credit all the time for his play this season, but Duncan is playing just as good is less minutes. Obviously you don't agree with the rest but the point is that the rest is necesarry for us to be healthy in the playoffs and that's all that really matters to us. Seeing as how you guys all say we are a regular season team, why not just rest our best players from time to time while still picking up W's (10 of our last 11 btw) and then give it a go during the playoffs.

Me thinks you have a little grudge (surprise, surprise) against our team (perhaps every team except the Sixers, I dunno) because those kinds of opinions don't come from an unbiased fan.

Quote Originally Posted by JellyBean
    Amen. And I would second that and raise a
    Uh oh, me thinks you have a litle grudge against the Spurs.

Yeah, clearly you have no argument and want to act like a child. I'm just going to put you on ignore.

Magic Johnson

Duncan

Go Spurs Go

Mark this down: If the Spurs win #5, Duncan sits at #2 behind Jordan.

Ah, the gratification of knowing you have no response to the argument at hand.

Feels nice.

This difference is that Duncan at this moment means more to the Spurs than Robinson did back then. Unless, you know, you REALLY like Tony Parker.

You're really undervaluing what Duncan does for the Spurs. If you took him off that team and replaced him with Chris Bosh, do you really think they're second in the West right now?

This isn't like Shaq in Boston. For the Spurs to win a title Duncan will have to play very well and there's no doubt his minutes will go up. He's still the #2 or maybe #3 (with Manu healthy) guy on that team.

How many guys can you say were apart of championship cores for over 12 years? Russell and...
    Tony Parker has played great this season. So yeah I like Tony Parker.

First for the bold I dont see what that has to do with the argument. Duncans legacy in the game has already taken into consideration his tenure with the Spurs and its success.

Chris Bosh? Why pick him. I dont value Chris Bosh highly. He doesnt bring two things I like from big men. Defense and rebounding. He doesnt even bring what the Spurs would need to replace with Duncan. Spurs can win a title so long as Duncan rebounds, defend and they pick n roll teams to death. Duncan doesnt have to play amazing. He doesnt have to play besides himself. He doesnt have to show Duncan in his prime. Spurs have a great coach, a deep team, one of the leagues best benches, an underrated PG in Parker. And with a healthy Manu? The team as a whole is good enough that it doesnt need to depend on big things from Duncan to win. Which is why I dont see how his legacy gets boosted if Spurs were to win. It's be another number added, another mention in his bio. It wouldnt have him surpass someone like Wilt Chamberlain. You're not going to pass Wilt because you were a nice glue guy, really great role player for the Spurs when they won the title. Sorry. Just doesnt make sense to me at all.

Spurs have beaten top Western Conference teams with Duncan playing subpar offensively. Tim Duncan legacy is pretty much cemented. When you are being considered the greatest PF to ever do it (given the list of great PFs this league has seen). When you're considered one of the top 10 players of all time. These are the ultimate compliments that only a handful of NBA players in the HISTORY of basketball can stake claim too. To think you after being placed on a pinnacle of greatness you can at the tail end of your career move yourself up even more is ridiculous.

It could help coach Pop more than it would Tim Duncan.