Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: The rejection of god and religion seems to lead to depraved acts of mass murder

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Isn't Stalin quoted as saying he didnt care what happened on this earth or what he did because he thought nothing happened after you die? He wasnt afraid of consequences and it dramatically lowered his moral standards..
    I wonder if Stalin was raised on humanistic values, valuing all human life equally, if he would have been the same ruthless leader?

You know.

Instead of being raised by very strict Orthodox Christian standards that basically instills the idea in you that all people who don't follow your exact belief are an inferior type of human doomed for eternal punishment. The kind of teaching that breeds a total intolerance towards any one of different school of thought than yourself.

I'm sure that upbringing had nothing to do with it! Stalin wasn't shaped by silly things like upbringing and education at all!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: The rejection of god and religion seems to lead to depraved acts of mass murder

[QUOTE=sawyersauce]Okay. That doesn

Banned

The French Revolution. Never before in human history had as much blood been spilled in such a short amount of time as was spilled in the reign of terror.

The French Revolution is also the first consciously atheist revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    its exactly what you said bozo, whether you meant to or not
    Umm, no, and when I said go on with your agenda I didn't mean with me. Shit gets boring when someone only wants to see want they want to see.

Decent college freshman

I think it's mistake on both sides to try and blame religion or blame atheism for the genocides and violence of the 20th century.

20th century was the most secular century to date and the genocidal regimes of the century were not religious.

Totalitarianism is an unique feature of the 20th century and in the totalitarian state religion is but another aspect of private life to be controlled and aligned with the aim of the state. Hence nazi germany, fascist italy, even imperial japan, cannot be considered religious regimes, they are regimes that encompassed and subverted religion to fit greater agenda. It's important not to conflate the religious nature of the populace with the singular ideology of the regimes themselves.

Its safe to say whenever religion or atheism is politicized to a large degree that's bad for the general population.

Instead of being raised by very strict Orthodox Christian standards that basically instills the idea in you that all people who don't follow your exact belief are an inferior type of human doomed for eternal punishment. The kind of teaching that breeds a total intolerance towards any one of different school of thought than yourself.
    so how about the number of philanthropists and missionary workers who spend life servicing the poor that were brought up religiously? are those people not influenced by their religious upbringing?

It's ridiculous to hold the orthodox christians to be responsible for Stalin when he rebelled against the teachings of the church and spent years persecuting them to point of extinction.

I think people are viewing the events of the 20th century from the lens of religious extremism that characterized post 9/11 decade which is misleading.
    Last edited by heyhey; 03-04-2012 at 03:18 PM.

LAWL I'm the one with the black and white world views? Just read all the responses in this thread! I seem to be the only one WITHOUT black and white world views.

Everywhere I go my views cause chaos, because idiots get uncomfortable when confronted with uncomfortable truths and then lash out at the messenger.

I'm like goddamn Neitsche or Thomas Paine, why do my opinions always draw such emotional responses? I just want normal discussions free from personal insult, why is that so hard to find.

yeah, nobody can handle your community college freshman philosophy mind-bending observations about society

you are either a very good troll or completely delusional.
    Last edited by Nanners; 03-04-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners

yeah, nobody can handle your community college freshman philosophy mind-bending observations about society

you are either a very good troll or completely delusional.
    community college? Lawl.
    Freshman? Lawl.

Like I have said, idiots are quick to categorize and dismiss arguments they do not like or understand.

Quote Originally Posted by heyhey
    It's ridiculous to hold the orthodox christians to be responsible for Stalin when he rebelled against the teachings of the church and spent years persecution them to point of extinction.

I think people are viewing the events of the 20th century from the lens of religious extremism that characterized post 9/11 decade which is misleading.

It's ridiculous to completely disregard Stalin's ultra religious upbringing when discussing his ethics.

Even though he ended up rejecting religion, his upbringing still very much helped shape the man he became. His total disregard for the lives of anyone who doesn't share his core belief; you could definitely draw some interesting parallels there.

community college? Lawl.
    Freshman? Lawl.

Like I have said, idiots are quick to categorize and dismiss arguments they do not like or understand.
    hey idiot, if you actually read the responses in this thread and you will see that multiple posters have already completely destroyed every single one of your arguments. i am not going to waste my own time pointing out all the ways you are completely wrong, considering that when other people point out all of your logical errors you just dismiss them without second thought.

yes, these "reality-shattering" observations you think you have about society and the world are issues that every college student discusses in elementary philosophy and sociology classes. in reality, all of your arguments and observations are tired and old for anybody with any experience in academia beyond high school. its actually kind of sad that you think you have these amazing revelations about the world and really you are too much of a mental midget to realize all your ideas are old and tired.
    Last edited by Nanners; 03-04-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    hey idiot, if you actually read the responses in this thread and you will see that multiple posters have already completely destroyed every single one of your arguments. i am not going to waste my own time pointing out all the ways you are completely wrong, considering that when other people point out all of your logical errors you just dismiss them without second thought.

yes, these "reality-shattering" observations you think you have about society and the world are issues that every college student discusses in elementary philosophy and sociology classes. in reality, all of your arguments and observations are tired and old for anybody with any experience in academia beyond high school. its actually kind of sad that you think you have these amazing revelations about the world and really you are too much of a mental midget to realize all your ideas are old and tired.
    Mental midget, lawl, again with the personal insults and categorization.

Sorry sport, I was actually tested 99.9th percentile in the state of California. You will face my wrath in the future, sport

Mental midget, lawl, again with the personal insults and categorization.
    are you really going to keep crying about personal insults? you have no problem labelling me as an "idiot" in every single post you dumb fcking hypocrite.

Sorry sport, I was actually tested 99.9th percentile in the state of California. You will face my wrath in the future, sport
    so your greatest academic achievements in life are testing well on placement exams and going to a good middle school, congratulations you winner. i guess i will stop pointing out your idiocy, cause i am quaking in my boots at the thought of facing you and your 99.9th percentile wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath Uterus

you must have down syndrome.

99.9 perctentile and you don't go to any Ivy League school? My asshole. Everything you say is complete shit. Get out.

The acceptance of God and religion seems to lead to depraved acts of trolling on ISH.

5-time NBA All-Star

Why is a retard from Die Hard 4 being quoted.

LoL. Why is it that the vast majority of atheists quote some buffoon and wear it proudly. "I'm not content with the idea of religion since it teaches people to stop thinking." SINCE WHEN DOES RELIGION (with the exception of the forbidden knowledge motif) advocate complete abandonment of thought. The Talmud (word to PullUpJay) and Qur'an encourage active seeking of knowledge. Jeez.

God these f*ckeres irk me. Swaggerless to the max.

At least the prophets and the jihad warriors had panache and courage. I'd rather have my dying moments be composed of ," Alas.. I have fought brave and well and now I shall go forth and spread my seed to the 72 olive-skinned, black-haired, green-eyed houris and enjoy them well" than "ZOMG the univverse is a beautiful place and now im gonna return the way I was before I was born."

On a sidenote, not saying it has to do with atheism (there's a million factors to the following) but trends out there that are not for the better.

- Lack of personal responsibility
    - Effeminate males, Masculine females
    - Depraved acts of murder
    - Extremely deviant sexual behavior
    - Weaker nuclear family ties and kinsmanship
    - Stronger dependency on prescription drugs
    - Suing everywhere and there
    - Arrogance, narcissism, juvenile, entertaining being celebrated in lieu of chastity, diligence, justice, wisdom, fairness, selflessness
    - Social Anxiety every where and that
    - Increased gossip
    - Less and less true friendships and the reduction of "brotehrhood" "sisterhood"
    - Declining female happiness rates
    - Declining divorce rates
    - Obesity and hatred
    - Complete lack of respect for authority (Not a bad thing necessarily, but for a good king or for a good police officer, yes..) Just got off the public bus and this girl was being all rude and sh!t and she said and the guy up front told her to pipe down and she screams and says UR NOT THE BOSS OF ME GO BACK TO CHINA MOTHERF*CKER and he gets sued... yeah...
    - "I'll lose, and let you win" type mentality
    - Celebration of the youth and condemnation fo the elderly
    - Terrible gender interrelations
    - Kids worshipping serial killers and sh!tty artists
    - People actually imitating Jersey Shore and Stephen Colbert and accepting mocking as truth

Fortunately it's counteracted by a wealth of access to information a higher standard of living and all the sweet things everyday technology has.

Who wants to stand up and blend the past and the future? any takers?