Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: The Four Permanent Members of G.O.A.T. Discussion

Other candidates IMO:

Shaquille O'Neal, Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Magic Johnson, Hakeem Olajuwon, Julius Erving, Jerry West and Larry Bird.

HM: Kobe in the near future joins this list.

Note: I'd add Elgin Baylor, but he might not get accepted on the list because of no rings. I have him as the lowest member of the list.. because i think he was a true legend.

Note 2: LeBron James is also another choice when he ends his career of basketball.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Nobody replaces those 4, if you don't know why learn about them. That's not saying Magic cant be discussed with them he certainly can - but he isn't replacing anyone on that list that was the point of it - it isn't a list of the "only" GOAT candidates it's just a list of ones IH member's - such as yourself - should not be dismissing.
    Says some guy on Insidehoops...

Who the **** are you?

I think Wilt has to be in the discussion. I never seen him play, but he is in that Babe Ruth category imo.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Oh... no left hand?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvMq-eX_pNw

And Wilt played against MVP Kareem, and dominated him individually in the '71 series and carried his crippled Laker's much farther than the sum of their parts against the most dominant team in NBA history - the '71 Bucks - despite being 10 years older than Kareem Or did you forget that Kareem played against Wilt? - sounds like the NBA only existed from 1980 and on, right?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...3VOKV4U#t=269s

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rodman91
    Only permanent member : Jordan. Greatest stats,records,championships in modern basketball. He had 6 championships in his last 6 seasons as Bulls player. 6 FMVPs and clear cut best player in the league.Jordan killed competition in 90's. Only Shaq had similar seasons for 3 seasons since Jordan retired.

If we are going with being better player, Wilt & Russell doesn't belong there. Players couldn't even use their left hand back then. Wilt was having 50 & 25 season. Rookie PG had 30,10&10 season.Russel had 14 ppg (44%) in such era.Also he was playing with best players in league with a few teams.

Kareem has better case than Wilt & Russell.However he wasn't even best player in his later championships.He has 2 FMVP in 5 championships.

People are trying hard to make a discussion. There is no other player has better overall impact,success,skills than Jordan.

Jordan is at top 3 in every list about greatest athletes of all time. (others are Ali,Ruth)
    Did you watch Chamberlain & Russell? Ever see them actually play a game that was in doubt?

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    Did you watch Chamberlain & Russell? Ever see them actually play a game that was in doubt?
    Yeah, i have seen enough of their primitive skills. They are greats of their time. Jurassic Age of basketball.

Come on.. George Mikan was considered he can't play basketball because he is too tall. It was just 10 years ago before Wilt & Russell's era.

Yeah, i have seen enough of their primitive skills. They are greats of their time. Jurassic Age of basketball.

Come on.. George Mikan was considered he can't play basketball because he is too tall. It was just 10 years ago before Wilt & Russell's era.
    He's "seen enough!"

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

No........ not youtube clips or NBA Golden Classics of the 60s. Did you actually watch them play a game, either live or on TV? When you didn't already know the final score?

It's easy to bash their skills, anybody can have that junior-high kind of view. They played 50 years ago. Of course nobody had skills polished by a half a century of study.
    If it was Kobe Bryant on those old youtube clips instead of Oscar Robertson, you'd be slamming KB24 because he can't even do a simple crossover or palm the ball whenever he wanted to switch hands. When 20 years go by and the NBA goes back to physical basketball, people will be slamming Kobe & D Wade because they played in a primitive era of no contact.

There's a reason why they're in everybody's top 10. Even Bill Simmons who hates Chamberlain ranks the guy extremely high.
    You gotta go deeper dude, study the game more before you make such a unqualified attack on those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonislegend
    Says some guy on Insidehoops...

Who the **** are you?
    ...i'm you 10 years in the future

OP's saying like;
    Schumacher, Senna, Prost and Fangio "The Four Permanent Members of G.O.A.T. F1 driver Discussion".

No, Fangio doesn't belong there. The same with Wilt. Russell is there because he is the g.o.a.t. winner.

Actually Fangio has a better chance to be called goat F1 driver than calling Wilt goat basketball player.
    Last edited by Odinn; 02-28-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    It's not my list and they don't need to be there. Magic is better than all of them bar Michael. I don't get the way Kareem is rated (not because he's not good enough), but considering how others are rated...

I also have Larry Bird ahead of the three centers. That's me tho.
    Funny thing about Bird was that he was the consensus GOAT until Jordan came along.

Using that logic, he should be somewhere on this list, but over the years his reputation has been somewhat recast by stat mongers overly focused on career numbers.

Arrow Re: The Four Permanent Members of G.O.A.T. Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    No........ not youtube clips or NBA Golden Classics of the 60s. Did you actually watch them play a game, either live or on TV? When you didn't already know the final score?

It's easy to bash their skills, anybody can have that junior-high kind of view. They played 50 years ago. Of course nobody had skills polished by a half a century of study.
    If it was Kobe Bryant on those old youtube clips instead of Oscar Robertson, you'd be slamming KB24 because he can't even do a simple crossover or palm the ball whenever he wanted to switch hands. When 20 years go by and the NBA goes back to physical basketball, people will be slamming Kobe & D Wade because they played in a primitive era of no contact.

There's a reason why they're in everybody's top 10. Even Bill Simmons who hates Chamberlain ranks the guy extremely high.
    You gotta go deeper dude, study the game more before you make such a unqualified attack on those guys.
    If i could able to watch them on live,i would be 70 years old now.

If they don't have polished skills they don't deserve to be on GOAT level. They were greats of their time. I agree with that part. If it's just about accomplishments and stats then okay, they deserve to be at high. But still Jordan's overall success & stats > Wilt,Kareem or Russell's.

Just because they played in first years of NBA, doesn't make those players greater than Hakeem,Shaq or Duncan for me.Based on success,yes.But as players no.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ
    Funny thing about Bird was that he was the consensus GOAT until Jordan came along.

Using that logic, he should be somewhere on this list, but over the years his reputation has been somewhat recast by stat mongers overly focused on career numbers.
    Another funny thing about Larry Bird is that he thinks Wilt is the GOAT...

If i could able to watch them on live,i would be 70 years old now.

If they don't have polished skills they don't deserve to be on GOAT level. They were greats of their time. I agree with that part. If it's just about accomplishments and stats then okay, they deserve to be at high. But still Jordan's overall success & stats > Wilt,Kareem or Russell's.

Just because they played in first years of NBA, doesn't make those players greater than Hakeem,Shaq or Duncan for me.Based on success,yes.But as players no.
    Let's all play a game where we apply rodman91's logic that dismisses the past - into different contexts:

I'll start.

"Alexander The Great" can't be a GOAT candidate as a leader because guys like George W. Bush does stuff more polished due to his modern military, education, and other modern developmental perks. Alexander prob did dumb primitive shit like bathe in ice cold streams and command his armies with unpolished combat techniques that used primitive swords and spears - wat a dayum fool clearly he can't be da greatest, way less polished combat than a sniper rifle or a precision guided missile! - This logic is totally awesome and true. Modern polished skills are the key to greatness - history is dumb cuz it's all so unpolished!

brilliant logic - you da man rodman!
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 02-28-2012 at 06:51 PM.