Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: What is Gordon Hayward's ceiling?

can't shoot well
    He showed otherwise at the end of last year.

His biggest weakness is that he can get rattled and frustrated easily if he's having an off-night. Like the game against Toronto two weeks ago. He was just awful that night.
    But he still had 7 rbds 3 ass 2 stls and a blk in that one. Even when he's struggled with his shot he does other things. Sign of a good player.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Me either.

I think many did just because the Jazz haven't had many picks that high for a long time.

But the Jazz need stars so maybe George would have been a better pick? Aldrich was the one everyone was wanting at the time though and he hasn't shown much yet.

Hayward is a player and a good fit in Utah. How much he matures physically and as a player remains to be seen.
    Jazz need stars, but it's not like he's their only young guy. I think most people are hitching their wagon on Favors and Kanter to be the "stars" of the future, while Hayward and Burks are the other solid guys in the starting lineup.

Yes, I was on the Aldrich wagon before the draft, but I believe that was pre-Jefferson trade and before Favors was on the team. Looking back now it would have been a big mistake to take him.

Jazz need stars, but it's not like he's their only young guy. I think most people are hitching their wagon on Favors and Kanter to be the "stars" of the future, while Hayward and Burks are the other solid guys in the starting lineup.
    Burks looks like the one with the most star potential to me even if he was the lowest pick of the 4. Needs to learn how to play with his teammates. Just needs experience.

Yes, I was on the Aldrich wagon before the draft, but I believe that was pre-Jefferson trade and before Favors was on the team. Looking back now it would have been a big mistake to take him.
    Now that they have Kanter and Favors and he hasn't shown anything sure. But if they had him they might have Brandon Knight instead of Kanter. Too early to say other than Hayward does fit well in Utah especially with Hornacek around now to teach him how to play in that offense.

Local High School Star joshwake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
    Yep sounds about right. His ceiling is limited by his lack of elite athleticism and slow foot speed. He'll score more if he improves his outside shot and will increase his assists and rebounds with experience, but I don't see him as anything more than a role player. His defense is pretty bad too.
    sounds like another person just making assumptions because he is white. I love the ppl who say he is not athletic. Almost as funny as guys sizing him up on the court and thinking "I can take this goofy white boy" then he blocks their shot.

He is plenty athletic, not elite no, but he has a very very high bbal IQ and he is an excellent passer and is developing into a solid defender. He is already a very good shooter, but is lacking consistency and confidence, which will come. He needs to work a bit on the 3 ball, the jazz desperately need more outside shooting.

I would guess his ceiling is 3-5 year all star.

Quote Originally Posted by joshwake
    sounds like another person just making assumptions because he is white. I love the ppl who say he is not athletic. Almost as funny as guys sizing him up on the court and thinking "I can take this goofy white boy" then he blocks their shot.

He is plenty athletic, not elite no, but he has a very very high bbal IQ and he is an excellent passer and is developing into a solid defender. He is already a very good shooter, but is lacking consistency and confidence, which will come. He needs to work a bit on the 3 ball, the jazz desperately need more outside shooting.

I would guess his ceiling is 3-5 year all star.
    Uhh he's not particularly athletic. Have you seen him play? I'm not the one comparing him to Mike Miller just because he's white, the guy isn't a good shooter.

Honestly he reminds me of a slightly worse Evan Turner more than anything.

I don't think anyone other than extreme Jazz homers think he'll develop into a 3-5 year all star player, he just isn't talented enough. Decent role player, probably just a good bench player. Think a slightly worse Marvin Williams.

the guy isn't a good shooter.
    He shot 47% from 3 last year including 52% in March and 57% in April. I think he'll be fine as far as that goes. He needs to get stronger and be more aggressive. He's in an offense well suited to his skills which is a big plus too.

It's funny how almost everyone compares him to another white guy. He kind of reminds me of Lamar Odom.

Shows some great speed and athleticism on this finish.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-_ihP78mkY

The white Lamar Odom?!?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGggGD-l34I
    Last edited by bdreason; 02-05-2012 at 04:04 AM.

And he's definitely more athletic than people give him credit for. Although I don't feel he's a great defender like many have said in this thread. He's got good length, but his lateral movement isn't spectacular.

I compared him to a Turk which isn't quite the same as a white guy. Odom's a pretty good comparison too.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    He shot 47% from 3 last year including 52% in March and 57% in April. I think he'll be fine as far as that goes. He needs to get stronger and be more aggressive. He's in an offense well suited to his skills which is a big plus too.
    Yeah and he's 14-53 this year from deep. His mid range game hasn't been very good either.

I'm not saying he's a bad player but there is no all star game in his future.

Yeah he's struggling right now but anyone that has put up numbers like he did last year can shoot.

His athletic ability is far from a weakness.
    He is simply an increase in consistency away from being a great starter.

Banned

He is a handsome young man and I think he can becum an all star.

Quote Originally Posted by brisbaneman
    He is a handsome young man and I think he can becum an all star.
    He's soooooooo dreamy. Yes Homo.

I'd say diamond league, maybe maybe masters, but doubt it, dude has no shot at grandmaster's league.