Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: The 30-5-5 Club

Default Re: The 30-5-5 Club

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    Lebron (twice), Wade, and Kobe (twice) averaged that for a full season before, Jordan and Oscar did it an incredible 6 times.

30-5-5 regular seasons

6 - Oscar, Jordan
    2 - West, Wilt, Kobe, Lebron
    1 - Maravich, McGrady, Wade
    Also KAJ in '72-'73. After a disappointing playoffs, he came back better than ever the following year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STrKonJGP-U#t=5m17s

Sports Illustrated - January 21, 1974

The main reason for the Bucks' success has been, of course, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who is nothing less than the best pro player. Never selfish in the past, Abdul-Jabbar has become even more generous this season, shooting less, scoring fewer points (25.5 ppg, down from 30.2 in 1972-73) and passing off more frequently to cutting teammates from his high vantage point in the low post. When he does fire, he has a wider array of shots at his command. The conventional defense against Abdul-Jabbar has been to block him from curling from the left side of the lane into the middle for his deadly sky hook, thereby forcing him to take turnaround jumpers or to abandon the left post for the right, from which he shoots the hook with less accuracy. In the game at Chicago, the obsolescence of that thinking was clear. Of his nine baskets, Abdul-Jabbar made only one from the left, and that a jumper. He also has added flexibility to his defensive game, wandering farther and more fervently afield to help the Bucks cut their defensive average by almost a point per game. That is no mean feat since Milwaukee was second in the league last season, allowing an average of 99 points.

National High School Star FindingTim's Avatar

very cool thread. but let's be honest, Lebron's gonna run away with this.
    it will still be fun though.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder
    I want to keep track of every game this season where a player records at least 30 points/5 assists/5 rebounds (or at least 5 steals or 5 blocks in place of rebounds and assists).

Rajon Rondo
    12/25: Rajon Rondo (11-19; 9-12 FT), 13 assists, 5 rebounds, 5 steals (5 TOs) in a 104-106 loss to the Knicks

LeBron James
    12/25: 37 points (11-19; 15-19 FT), 10 reounds, 6 assists (3 TOs) in a 105-94 win over the Mavericks

Kevin Durant
    12/25: (11-19; 2-4 3 pt), 6 asssists, 5 rebounds (4 TOs) in a 97-89 win over the Magic.

Count:
    Rajon Rondo (1)
    LeBron James (1)
    Kevin Durant (1)

Why don't you just let basketball reference do it for you and post it at the end of the year.

3-time NBA All-Star

I remember the hype that the Kings' Tyreke Evans was getting when he was averaging a 20-5-5 a couple of seasons ago.

That would have been among the worst games in Oscar's first five seasons, and Chamberlain would have been roasted by the press after a game like that.

honestly i dont expect the players that did it today to do it over the condensed season. rest is gonna be crucial for them and they wont always get the minutes after a back to back or b2b2b to get those kinds of stats. so yes this stat will be pretty rare this season imho. i thought it was amazing it was done frequently today though. great for the fans and ratings.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    I remember the hype that the Kings' Tyreke Evans was getting when he was averaging a 20-5-5 a couple of seasons ago.

That would have been among the worst games in Oscar's first five seasons, and Chamberlain would have been roasted by the press after a game like that.
    Yeah, man. Today's players f*cking suck.

No point in watching any of these games, let's all just read up on and check out highlights of Oscar's and Wilt's games.

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber

Are you ****ing retarded?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    I nominate this for a sticky thread that gets updated daily.
    This.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    Are you ****ing retarded?
    It just amazes me how fans are being groomed to accept mediocrity. A 20-5-5 season as some kind of huge accomplishment?

In baseball, a "quality start" is something like a 6 IP, 3 ER performance. And a "workhorse" pitcher throws 200 IP. What happened to the pitchers that used to routinely throw 20+ CGs, and 300+ IP?

In football, a 1000 yard rushing season is considered a benchmark. True, it WAS signifcant... in a 12 game season. But over the course of 16 games? Wow, a RB has to rush for 60 yards a game to get to 1000!

In the NBA every so often I will read about player "x" with a string of double-double games. DOUBLE-DOUBLE games??? So now we are led to believe that a player who throws up a 10-10 game is doing something remarkable?

And now, given the hype that a 20-5-5 season generated, it is only a matter of time when a 10-5-5 season will be considered a "benchmark."

Maybe it's just folks like myself, who actually grew up in the 60's, and who have followed sports for 50 years, who actually remember what a truly impressive stat-line looked like.

Gooner | Heat Nation EnoughSaid's Avatar

lmao I wonder who'll be leading this at the end of the year.

Local High School Star Harrison_Barnes's Avatar

Interesting thread.. going to be interesting to see who wins. Since it will completely depend upon how many minutes players are getting.

NBA rookie of the year

Players with 30/5/5 career averages:

Jordan (30+/6+/5+)

Cali Love

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    Players with 30/5/5 career averages:

Jordan (30+/6+/5+)
    He shouldn't have came back in '02. His career averages dropped ridiculously

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by brownmamba00
    He shouldn't have came back in '02. His career averages dropped ridiculously
    Not too much - his Bulls career averages were 31.5 pts/6.3 reb/5.4 ast. He did however shoot 51% for his career as a Bull, which dropped to 50%.
    Last edited by OldSchoolBBall; 12-26-2011 at 02:40 PM.

B-Eazy Mike Beasley MichaelCheazley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EnoughSaid
    Monta Ellis!! Dude is incredibly underrated. He's a top 5 scorer and no one even knows anything about him.
    Lebron
    wade
    kobe
    dirk
    carmelo
    amare
    griffin

are among some who are better than him, given his freedom. Nonetheless i believe he is very close to derrick rose right now. I know i might get hated on for that but they are similar in the way they place and production is similar.
    Last edited by MichaelCheazley; 12-26-2011 at 02:36 PM.