Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: Ken Berg: Jim Buss Open to Trading Bynum-maybe a 3 team trade

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy
    Orlando gets Bogut in this deal
    Which means absolutely nothing. They can get better from Chicago. Hell I'm sure the Bulls would give up there starting SF/PF/C for Dwight,Hedo and Arenas

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    They have the team option for Bynum and Odom next year. They can decline those options and sign Dwight Howard.
    no, they can't.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Lakers have $68 million committed salary even without the team options in 2012-13 and $61 million committed in 2013-14. Like I said, Lakers can't sign him outright without trading for him. You are not grasping that.
    so what are you saying. Buss can't possibly open his pockets and pay luxury taxes to get Howard or the CBA does not allow a team over the cap to sign free agents. Please enlighten me.

College superstar

The Lakers can trade either Gasol and Bynum but not both. They are not in desperate mode. They can wait and they can win without making any trade.
    The Magic can definitely get better players than what Lakers can offer but the problem is if Dwight Howard is willing to sign that extension to make it happen because I don't think any team will give their players away just to have Howard play for them for a year. That's the bottomline.
    We are on the same page. Pau just doesn't make any sense because Orl will be rebuilding and wouldn't want an aging vet. So it really is just Bynum and whatever else will make the deal work. Which isn't nearly enough to force aa trade for the eminently talented Howard.

LA picks are almost worthless. They are going to be pick 25-30 for years and maybe half the guys taken in that area ever make the league.

so what are you saying. Buss can't possibly open his pockets and pay luxury taxes to get Howard or the CBA does not allow a team over the cap to sign free agents. Please enlighten me.
    this.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by NoGunzJustSkillz
    no, they can't.
    is that what the new CBA contract states or you don't think Buss can open his wallet?

is that what the new CBA contract states or you don't think Buss can open his wallet?
    with the tv deal the lakers signed, buss will open up his wallet whenever he is allowed. unfortunately you can not do that under new and OLD CBA rules.

Good college starter

this.
    well I am not fully aware of that. Can you give me a link because all I read is teams over the cap will be last ones to pick those amnesty players.

National High School Star b0bab0i's Avatar

well I am not fully aware of that. Can you give me a link because all I read is teams over the cap will be last ones to pick those amnesty players.
    The rule is, if your team is over the cap, you can't bid for amnesty players AT ALL.

Edit: added link http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/stor...-been-expected
    Last edited by b0bab0i; 12-01-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by b0bab0i
    The rule is, if your team is over the cap, you can't bid for amnesty players AT ALL.

Edit: added link http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/stor...-been-expected
    But Dwight Howard will not be an amnesty player when he opts out.

3-time NBA All-Star

Its a cap. They can't go over the cap to sign free agents unless they have bird rights on their player or use the MLE. There's no max free agent exception. Its always been that way.

I usually hit open layups mountainmamba's Avatar

Stop talking about cap space, free agency, amnesty, mle, etc.

Either Lakers get him in a trade or they dont get him. Thats it.

3-time NBA All-Star

maybe the magic have the leverage, maybe they don't. all dwight has to say is i am going to give you guys 2 options. trade me to the lakers or i am leaving via free agency and you guys get nothing in return.
    If he leaves via FA its to somewhere else. Thats my point as well as the fact that Bynum+Odom is not much better then nothing given the whole situation, and settling for that as opposed to demanding more isn't worth not risking Howard leaving for nothing. Not to mention there could be possible deals in other places that Howard would consider i.e. New York for Amare, LAC for Gordon+Jordan+etc, Boston for Rondo+Green, etc.

Banned

The only reason ORL would trade Howard to LA is if he specifically said that would be the only place he would agree to do an extend and trade Or he will walk somewhere else when he opts out. And then the only thing ORL gets out of it would be that they can essentially ship out Hedo with him ridding themselves of his contract and get to amnesty arenas. As far as what the Lakers send I don't see them sending anything significantly more than Odom and Bynum. The thing is though they both have team options after 2012 so they could give Bynum a test drive for the rest of this season and see how he does as a number 1 option. If he were to get injured again they could not pick up his option and they lose his 12- 15 million off their cap. Odom is a weird situation they could try and flip him to a contender for some young pieces but there aren't many contenders with young pieces and I don't see those teams with young pieces wanting a 31 year old uninspired Odom so the most likely situation is they'd just not pick up his 9 million option as well. So essentially this trade is NOT going to happen. As much as I'd like it to. The only thing ORL would really get is an extra 10 million off the books if they don't pick up the team options

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by sagr32
    The only reason ORL would trade Howard to LA is if he specifically said that would be the only place he would agree to do an extend and trade Or he will walk somewhere else when he opts out. And then the only thing ORL gets out of it would be that they can essentially ship out Hedo with him ridding themselves of his contract and get to amnesty arenas. As far as what the Lakers send I don't see them sending anything significantly more than Odom and Bynum. The thing is though they both have team options after 2012 so they could give Bynum a test drive for the rest of this season and see how he does as a number 1 option. If he were to get injured again they could not pick up his option and they lose his 12- 15 million off their cap. Odom is a weird situation they could try and flip him to a contender for some young pieces but there aren't many contenders with young pieces and I don't see those teams with young pieces wanting a 31 year old uninspired Odom so the most likely situation is they'd just not pick up his 9 million option as well. So essentially this trade is NOT going to happen. As much as I'd like it to. The only thing ORL would really get is an extra 10 million off the books if they don't pick up the team options
    Which is why I think the Lakers would have to trade Gasol and take on a bigger contract in Arenas instead of Hedo.