Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Derrick rose = shooting guard

What he does need is a bigger shooting guard who can handle the rock and defend. Someone like Eric Snow. Rose is basically playing AI's role in Phili. He needs another guard alongside him who can take over some pg duties from time to time. It would be ideal for this guard to have a jumper as well. Easier said than done, but Rose can still be a scoring pg and win, as long as he gets the right partner in the backcourt.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
    What he does need is a bigger shooting guard who can handle the rock and defend. Someone like Eric Snow. Rose is basically playing AI's role in Phili. He needs another guard alongside him who can take over some pg duties from time to time. It would be ideal for this guard to have a jumper as well. Easier said than done, but Rose can still be a scoring pg and win, as long as he gets the right partner in the backcourt.
    Eric Snow was barely 6'3" though.....

Serious playground baller

A player who avereges ~20 fga is not PG for me personaly. But in todays NBA there arent many true star PGs left. Anybody that can score wants to score. For me guys like Rose, Westbrook,... are just guards, not PGs or SGs.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_korver
    Derrick rose averaged more fga than Kevin Durant!!?? What other pg does that!!!??.. The scoring leader in the nba!.. Get real

Does FGA show what position you play now?

Banned

Why is it so hard for people to understand that Derrick Rose is a Point Guard that scores a lot? Are PG's not allowed to be scorers anymore? It isn't about just getting Assists. Derek Fisher has never gotten lots of Assists. Is he not a PG?

Who gives a shit if he takes 20 FGA per game? What's he supposed to do? Just pass the ball all day to Deng and Boozer hoping they average 20+ a game? He has to score a lot on his team. His best ability is scoring. He does that in addition to being a facilitator on his team.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
    Why is it so hard for people to understand that Derrick Rose is a Point Guard that scores a lot? Are PG's not allowed to be scorers anymore? It isn't about just getting Assists. Derek Fisher has never gotten lots of Assists. Is he not a PG?

Who gives a shit if he takes 20 FGA per game? What's he supposed to do? Just pass the ball all day to Deng and Boozer hoping they average 20+ a game? He has to score a lot on his team. His best ability is scoring. He does that in addition to being a facilitator on his team.
    I think it's just a situation that if he is a pass first point guard (though yes, that's not his nature), it would make life easier for him and the team. Derek Fisher has also spent a lot of his career in triangle system man, it's hard to get assists in that system because of how much you have to move the ball around. Plus he has been surrounded by a lot of great talent during his time.

I think it's problem if anyone is taking that many shots and not converting a lot of those attempts, that's the problem. I think there should a balance between him and his teammates. That's how it should always be really. Just like when they play defense.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    I think it's just a situation that if he is a pass first point guard (though yes, that's not his nature), it would make life easier for him and the team.
    How so? Have Boozer or Deng ever been a #1 option who can carry the scoring load? It isn't about just passing. If he's a good scorer and the best at it on his team, why not do it? I mean, they won 62 games and got to the ECF and very well could have won (those games were pretty close outside of the blowout in Game 1). The way they play now seems to work well to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LegeLegends66NBA7
    Derek Fisher has also spent a lot of his career in triangle system man, it's hard to get assists in that system because of how much you have to move the ball around. Plus he has been surrounded by a lot of great talent during his time.
    I'm glad you brought that up. I wanted you to. That leads to another point. Players' roles are defined by personnel, system and jobs within that system, not necessarily their position on paper, like another poster was saying earlier. Chicago doesn't have the offensive firepower or have another player who can draw major defensive attention like Rose. If he doesn't pose the threat to drop 25-30 points in a game, Chicago is significantly worse offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    I think it's problem if anyone is taking that many shots and not converting a lot of those attempts, that's the problem. I think there should a balance between him and his teammates. That's how it should always be really. Just like when they play defense.
    That's the case with any player though, not just a point guard. If you're your team's best scorer you are going to take more shots. Kobe takes more shots than Gasol or anyone else. LeBron took more shots than Mo Williams. Jordan took more shots than Pippen and Iverson took more shots than anyone else on his team. It's what they are supposed to do.

And who's to say his teammates would convert those shots if given more? Does giving Boozer 17 shots a game instead of 14 automatically mean he is going to score more and maintain or improve efficiency? No. Besides, it isn't like Rose is horribly inefficient anyway. He shot 45% last season, which is not really bad for a perimeter player and understandable due to his improved 3 ball and the injuries his team faced all season long.

Some of these guys never played ball.

In HS (not trying to brag) but sometimes the coach and my teammates would just tell me to shoot the ball when I wanted to.

After 20-24 points in a HS game it started to look and feel like I was hogging the ball. It feels uncomfortable as a point guard yes, but Rose is playing in the pros, damn your feelings we trying to get wins.

This is not a developmental league. We are not on camera trying to prove that fundamental basketball is the best way to go. We not trying to get everyone touches if it's not working we are going to get this dub. They feed their families off this (coaches too).

What kills me is random people think they know more than Paxson and Thibbs...two people that know a lot about being a PG.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo123
    A player who avereges ~20 fga is not PG for me personaly. But in todays NBA there arent many true star PGs left. Anybody that can score wants to score. For me guys like Rose, Westbrook,... are just guards, not PGs or SGs.

That's because you don't know shit about basketball to be honest.

How so? Have Boozer or Deng ever been a #1 option who can carry the scoring load? It isn't about just passing. If he's a good scorer and the best at it on his team, why not do it?
    Well Boozer was in Utah. Deng just isn't good enough to create his own shot. I'm not saying it's all about passing, but Rose can share the load to take pressure of him. I think there's enough talent on the team (though need more of an offensive player @ the SG position) to get more scoring out of people. The Bulls are a young team, they will get better at this.

I mean, they won 62 games and got to the ECF and very well could have won (those games were pretty close outside of the blowout in Game 1). The way they play now seems to work well to me.

Yes, but I guarantee more teams (teams that are better defensively) will try and copy that Miami Heat strategy on Rose. I think there are ways they can get more out of their offense to try and counter attack, so that they won't get into that situation of Rose struggling in the 4th.

I'm glad you brought that up. I wanted you to. That leads to another point. Players' roles are defined by personnel, system and jobs within that system, not necessarily their position on paper, like another poster was saying earlier. Chicago doesn't have the offensive firepower or have another player who can draw major defensive attention like Rose. If he doesn't pose the threat to drop 25-30 points in a game, Chicago is significantly worse offensively.
    You are spot on here. I still do think the Bulls can get some offensive talent elsewhere if there is still room in their salary cap. Who knows if they can groom a guy like Taj Gibson or have a healthy Boozer for the season. I think Chicago will get better offensively after a full year together. They were ranked 11th in offense, but yes Rose did have a big factor play in it, obviously.

That's the case with any player though, not just a point guard. If you're your team's best scorer you are going to take more shots. Kobe takes more shots than Gasol or anyone else. LeBron took more shots than Mo Williams. Jordan took more shots than Pippen and Iverson took more shots than anyone else on his team. It's what they are supposed to do.
    Though yes they won 62 games last season, you have to really factor in their defense too. Also like I said, that's not the best recipe to win, Kobe had more teammates converting better on his team, LeBron converts better from the field, Jordan does too, where as Iverson doesn't convert well at all, he had better defense complimentary parts to help him in that area. They are supposed to do all that, but it's not always the recipe of winning unless you have more weapons on your team on both sides of the floor.

And who's to say his teammates would convert those shots if given more? Does giving Boozer 17 shots a game instead of 14 automatically mean he is going to score more and maintain or improve efficiency? No. Besides, it isn't like Rose is horribly inefficient anyway. He shot 45% last season, which is not really bad for a perimeter player and understandable due to his improved 3 ball and the injuries his team faced all season long.
    Well Boozer hit over 51% of his 14 shots, Deng hit 46% of his 14 shots, Noah 52.5% of 8 shots (I know he isn't a great shooter), etc...

Boozer would have a stronger chance of making more shots because he's a post player, but yeah you have a point, it doesn't necessarily mean he will make it more regularly. Rose is around the average, but he's also the MVP right ? He's not supposed to be just some "perimeter player".

That's just me though, when you are the MVP and the main weapon, I would expect a little more better efficiency that that.

People act like Rose wasn't playing any defense I remember a vast improvement in defense and a few blocks on high flying PF's & all-star PG's...

One series doesn't predicate a career. Rose has about the same career shooting percentage as Dirk Nowitzki. He damn near shot 50% as a rookie.

It's logical that with him becoming more comfortable with the three, gaining more experience, and some help on offense so he doesn't have to shoot as much, that his shooting percentage will only get better.

Dude took more shots than he ever took, played more games than he every played in a year (with the USA team and the season and playoffs), and handled more responsibility than many 23 year-olds ever have in life.

He was understandable gassed and facing Lebron James and a Heat team that basically slept walked and took games off all season to be fresh for the Finals that they knew they'd win.

The Bulls overachieved and pushed their way into the playoffs trying to glean as many wins as possible. Which is cool they wanted Rose to get MVP, they wanted to win the EC and make a statement...in the back of everyone's head they knew we weren't the best team in the NBA, but why not see how far we can go right?

When we have another 2 pieces in place I feel like we can take any team.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    Eric Snow was barely 6'3" though.....
    He was able to defend opposing shooting guards though. My point still remains Rose needs someone next to him like Snow. A player who made smart decisions, handled the ball, defended opposing shooting guards. A guy who can be a pg if he needs to. Bulls do not have anyone like that at all currently.

Very good NBA starter

Rose sure has become underrated, for somebody who's young and probably on an upward curve. 7.7 assist a game and 20 games of 10+ assists in the RS... how many shooting guards in the league did that?