Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Why is Magic rated so high?

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Then why did you post it?
    Because I lost the argument and had nothing else to post. I don't take this internet stuff that seriously you know.

What I said about Kobe still stands though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist
    Sure,

2 finals wins.

Now, can you tell me Magics stats when Kareem left?
    1990: Best Record in the League
    1991: Finals Appearance

College superstar The Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks3
    It is pretty funny how nobody ever downgrades Magic for not being the best player on his team for his first three rings and yet Kobe is consistently hated on because he was 1B to Shaq for three straight titles and another Finals performance over 5 seasons. Plus, Magic played with Kareem/McAdoo/Cooper/Worthy/Rambis/Mychal Thompshon/Vlade/Scott/A.C Green etc for his entire career and you never hear him downgraded for that, yet Kobe has played with a entire 2 All-Stars over the course of his prime years (00-10) and people are always downgrading his rings for playing on "stacked" teams.

I guess the amazing Odom and Bynum's amazing 6 pts/4rbs average from 08-10 do make a big difference.

"But Kobe hurt my feelings and thats why I don't acknowledge his achievements like other stars"

Basically what it comes down to.

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    1990: Best Record in the League
    1991: Finals Appearance
    and 0 finals wins.

Thanks. You just proved my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    Because I lost the argument and had nothing else to post. I don't take this internet stuff that seriously you know.

What I said about Kobe still stands though.
    What, that he has haters? Of course. Most great players do. He's also a guy who has played (through no fault of his own) in a time where the media overblows everything star players say and do, so everything he does is magnified as opposed to someone who played in the 60's/70's. Plus, he was accused (faslely, I might add, but some disagree with me here) of rape, which led to a lot of people losing respect for him. He has recovered most of it, but some of that vitriol is bound to remain.

Very good NBA starter

Most of his lack of accolades were due to him playing on Memphis as opposed to LA (a HUGE media market) so he got less recognition, not because he was necessarily a worse player.

Lame excuse. You don't get 0 All-NBA teams, 0 MVP votes, get swept three straight years, and only 1 All-Star team in 8 seasons because of "small market". He got them because he simply wasn't that good.

Now I hear people suggesting he's a "dominant" big-man and all that garbage.

Very good NBA starter

"But Kobe hurt my feelings and thats why I don't acknowledge his achievements like other stars"

Basically what it comes down to.
    Exactly. If he was more likable and charming as a person,or if he didn't have all the off-court controversies, he'd probably be thought of higher/ranked higher even though he'd be the same exact player.

It's just retarded.

Instead of acting like a little bitch,

answer the question.
    You asked a rhetorical question; this is just your typical straw-man argument made by your ilk.

Why did Magic lead his team without Kareem, scoring 40+ points, as a rookie, in game 6 of the Finals? Why did Jordan's Bulls win 55 w/o him, just two less than the year previously? Why were the Lakers just 12-11 (.521%) when Shaq was injured during the their 3-peat? When Kobe was injured, the Lakers regular season record was 25-7 (.78%). The Lakers' entire regular-season record during their three-peats was 181-65 (.735%), which is a lower record than when Kobe wasn’t playing. Why was that? Why hasn't Kobe won without a Big man?

You're a moron, stop wasting this forums bandwidth.

What, that he has haters? Of course. Most great players do. He's also a guy who has played (through no fault of his own) in a time where the media overblows everything star players say and do, so everything he does is magnified as opposed to someone who played in the 60's/70's. Plus, he was accused (faslely, I might add, but some disagree with me here) of rape, which led to a lot of people losing respect for him. He has recovered most of it, but some of that vitriol is bound to remain.
    Anybody that disregards Kobe because of those reasons is retarded.

It's not so much that they hate him, it's that they refuse to admit that he is a legend and one of the greatest players of all time. I'm a Jets fan, so I hate the Patriots, but I can't deny that Tom Brady is one of the greatest QB's of all time. It would be nice if Kobe haters had the same outlook on him as I do on Tom Brady.

Lame excuse. You don't get 0 All-NBA teams, 0 MVP votes, get swept three straight years, and only 1 All-Star team in 8 seasons because of "small market". He got them because he simply wasn't that good.

Now I hear people suggesting he's a "dominant" big-man and all that garbage.

Pau Gasol has still never got any MVP votes according to basketball-reference. And that's not an "excuse" he hasn't become a better player, he may be more productive because he gets more open looks since he is the second option in LA as opposed to being the first option in Memphis, but I don't think he's any better of a player, at least not to the degree you are implying. And sure, some may overrate him, and yes, he's not a "dominant all-time great big man", but he is a future Hall of Famer (definitely not first ballot, though).

[QUOTE=catch24]You asked a rhetorical question; this is just your typical straw-man argument made by your ilk.

Why did Magic lead his team without Kareem, scoring 40+ points, as a rookie, in game 6 of the Finals? Why did Jordan's Bulls win 55 w/o him, just two less than the year previously? Why were the Lakers just 12-11 (.521%) when Shaq was injured during the their 3-peat? When Kobe was injured, the Lakers regular season record was 25-7 (.78%). The Lakers' entire regular-season record during their three-peats was 181-65 (.735%), which is a lower record than when Kobe wasn

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    Anybody that disregards Kobe because of those reasons is retarded.

It's not so much that they hate him, it's that they refuse to admit that he is a legend and one of the greatest players of all time. I'm a Jets fan, so I hate the Patriots, but I can't deny that Tom Brady is one of the greatest QB's of all time. It would be nice if Kobe haters had the same outlook on him as I do on Tom Brady.
    Lots of things would be nice, but don't happen. In a perfect world, no one would hate any player (unless they actually did do something horrible) but that's the way things are. Kobe has regained a lot of his former popularity in recent years anyways.

Very good NBA starter

, but I don't think he's any better of a player, at least not to the degree you are implying. A
    Degree I'm implying? These things have been said by tons of people!

These idiots have called Pau the best on the Lakers, a "dominant" big, the best player at his position, the real MVP of the Lakers etc etc.

Shit is hilarious.

Degree I'm implying? These things have been said by tons of people!

These idiots have called Pau the best on the Lakers, a "dominant" big, the best player at his position, the real MVP of the Lakers etc etc.

Shit is hilarious.
    I'll address each of these claims...
    "Pau the best on the Lakers"-Trolling and/or delusional
    "a dominant big"-Influenced by the lack of great big men in today's NBA, overrating him, or a Pau stan
    "best player at his position"-putting too much value on championships, Pau stans, ignorant, etc.
    "The real MVP of the Lakers"-Trolling and/or delusional

Very good NBA starter

Its a legit question, but you're acting like a little hoe about it.

Nothing you have said justifies why Magic gets a pass for playing with the GOAT.

Nothing you have said, negates the fact that Magic, without Kareem,

won absolutely nothing. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Nothing you have said, tells me why Magic Johnson never won without Kareem Abdul Jabbar, arguably the greatest center, and player, of all time.

Heres your chance. Do it, tell me why Magic could not win with Kareem, and why hes rated so highly because of it.
    Notice how he fails to mention that Shaq's teams had a 65% winning percentage without him in the 90's, or that the 80's Lakers typically played 60%+ ball without Magic in the lineup. Of course, Kobe is the only one not allowed to win without help.