Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Default Re: Steve Francis vs Derrick Rose

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    Everyone that's seen me post in here knows Francis is my favorite player of all time, but even I gotta say Rose is better.

I do think Francis was more athletic, but as a player Rose has him beat. Francis lacked the mentality needed to be an MVP type player. He was all heart and no brain on the court. Loved his courage, loved his intensity, loved his desire to entertain, loved how much he cared about his teammates (hell the dude tried to fight AMARE because he disrespected Yao), but his head just never said "be the best" like Rose's seems to. His temper and heart got the better of him too often.

It's a shame too cuz I really think if that Rockets team from 02-03 had stayed together under Rudy T they coulda ended up as one of the better West teams. JVG killed Francis.
    Good post, this is my opinion on the matter as well. Francis made a case to to entertain as well as to win. It worked both-ways for him quite often, but sometimes it crossed paths and you could see his immaturity come out on the court because of that. With Rose, the mentality and heart to win was always first.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellogs4toniee
    Good post, this is my opinion on the matter as well. Francis made a case to to entertain as well as to win. It worked both-ways for him quite often, but sometimes it crossed paths and you could see his immaturity come out on the court because of that. With Rose, the mentality and heart to win was always first.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJIoDdxByoY

Yep this play is a good example. I remember watching that game and the Magic were down the whole time. Francis just said F it and did that bounce alley oop dunk to send the fans home with something to talk about since it wasn't a competitive game at all. Was it legal? HELL NO. Was it necessary? Nope. Did they win? Nope. But I guarantee the only thing those fans remember about that game was that dunk.

And like you said, his biggest strengths and the things that made him a popular player and a 3 time all star game starter, his heart and desire to entertain, were also his biggest flaw as a player.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Nash/Price is a much more legit argument. Price and he have both similar skill sets and similar results on teams in their primes. Price was an all nba first team guy over the likes of Stockton, KJ, and Hardaway. He was getting MVP talk himself when he came back to a team that won like 35 games without him and they won near 60 when he came back.

. But his teams played through the post as much as in the pick and roll...and at his peak he had Brandon eating up 20 minutes a night at the point putting him off the ball since Brandon wasnt a shooter and couldnt defend anyone over 6 feet tall. Plus Fratello came along and slowed them down too. Price was in ways like Dallas Nash. He just never got his chance to expand like Nash got. Nash didnt just get 2 times better at 30. He got placed into the perfect situaiton. Price was never in that as far as showing his potential.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 10-27-2011 at 05:46 PM.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Nash/Price is a much more legit argument. Price and he have both similar skill sets and similar results on teams in their primes. Price was an all nba first team guy over the likes of Stockton, KJ, and Hardaway. He was getting MVP talk himself when he came back to a team that won like 35 games without him and they won near 60 when he came back. But his teams played through the post as much as in the pick and roll...and at his peak he had Brandon eating up 20 minutes a night at the point putting him off the ball since Brandon wasnt a shooter and couldnt defend anyone over 6 feet tall. Plus Fratello came along and slowed them down too. Price was in ways like Dallas Nash. He just never got his chance to expand like Nash got. Nash didnt just get 2 times better at 30. He got placed into the perfect situaiton. Price was never in that as far as showing his potential.

so why don't you make a thread?