Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Born again Cavs fan bballnoob1192's Avatar

Default Re: Dirk is above KG in the all-time list

wow i now realize wat a championship can do to a players ranking and all time status. im gonna be scared when lebron gets his cuz this place is gonna explode with lebron is better than insert top 5 player

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knickswin
    ^^^ totally agree about that. I hate it when the idiots on ESPN talk about KG these days like he's still an incredible defensive force. He's not. What he's really good at is rotating correctly and making smart team defensive plays. That's great, but there are a lot of guys in the league who do that. His post D is pretty good, not elite.

Um, that's arguably the most important factor in GOOD defense. good defense is stopping your man from getting to his comfort zone and preventing a good shot. it's NOT focusing on steals per game or blocks per game or chasedown blocks or swatting shots into the 3rd row. those are nice sometimes, but other times it's actually detrimental to winning basketball.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by EricForman
    Um, that's arguably the most important factor in GOOD defense. good defense is stopping your man from getting to his comfort zone and preventing a good shot. it's NOT focusing on steals per game or blocks per game or chasedown blocks or swatting shots into the 3rd row. those are nice sometimes, but other times it's actually detrimental to winning basketball.
    yeah, but what I think gets understated is that there are quite a few players in the league capable of doing that. You don't have to be that talented to hit your rotations and give timely doubles. I would credit Tom Thibodeau for the Celtics' good defense well before I credited Kevin Garnett.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bballnoob1192
    wow i now realize wat a championship can do to a players ranking and all time status. im gonna be scared when lebron gets his cuz this place is gonna explode with lebron is better than insert top 5 player
    Lebron will be considered a GOAT candidate once he wins, trust me.

Born again Cavs fan bballnoob1192's Avatar

yea but it wont stop the shitstorm of threads of lebron>top 5 player or lebron vs top 5 player if he wins a title

Very close. They have both had long, HOF careers. But i do think KG became a more complete player earlier in his career. By this, I do not mean only versatility because KG in his prime was capable of more things. I mean becoming a complete elite player. KG was above Dirk for most of his career. He matured faster as a player. Early in Dirks career, he was mostly just a jump shooter. He was the better overall scorer, but KG was better at everything else while holding his own in scoring.

But I think Dirk at his ultimate best as we saw this playoffs trumps KG at his ultimate best. Dirk is a player who could take over a game and has that "unstoppable" ability where they can score at will. KG never had this. KG was always critiqued for being a bit too passive. But he never had the ability to become a better offensive player than Dirk. Dirk's scoring ability is elite and comes very natural to him. Not as natural for KG.

I also like the fact Dirk changed up his game later in his career. He was doing his thing with scoring, but his knock was his ability to do much else. While he will never be an elite defender, he has improved upon that a lot. He also improved his offensive arsenal. No more is he purely a jump shooter. He can take it inside and finish. He can pass out of doubles. He can be a leader.

Its not an easy choice. Part of me also believe those Mavs teams back in the day with Nash and Finley would have been better with KG. That team sounds scary with KG. But in terms of absolute peaks, I go with Dirk. And Dirk still has years left in him to play as a elite #1 option. When it s all said and done, I say Dirk will be ahead. But as of now, I go with KG because he was a better player for a longer time, but not by far.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
    But I think Dirk at his ultimate best as we saw this playoffs trumps KG at his ultimate best. Dirk is a player who could take over a game and has that "unstoppable" ability where they can score at will. KG never had this. KG was always critiqued for being a bit too passive. But he never had the ability to become a better offensive player than Dirk. Dirk's scoring ability is elite and comes very natural to him. Not as natural for KG.
    Dirk isn't an elite scorer. Never was, never will be: Kobe, AI, Jordan, Wade are part of the elite. The second level of top notch scorers has players like Barkley, Durant, Dominique, Tmac, Bird, Shaq. Dirk doesn't belong there either. He's not the scorer that Mello or Lebron either. Dirk is third teir at best, possible fourth. Never was top three in scoring either. Dirk is great but stop trying to make him things he isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Dirk isn't an elite scorer. Never was, never will be: Kobe, AI, Jordan, Wade are part of the elite. The second level of top notch scorers has players like Barkley, Durant, Dominique, Tmac, Bird, Shaq. Dirk doesn't belong there either. He's not the scorer that Mello or Lebron either. Dirk is third teir at best, possible fourth. Never was top three in scoring either. Dirk is great but stop trying to make him things he isn't.
    Tmac lebron and durant are/were better scorers than wade

KG had the higher peak. People pull the team record card but Dirk's teams were always stcked, KG's weren't...Put prime KG on all those 50+ win Mavs teams and they'd be like Duncan's Spurs...

Facts Are Misleading

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine
    Like you have a counter argument. To be honest, I don't even think you understand what was written.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    eFG%, TS%, and FG% says otherwise

Facts Are Misleading

Like you have a counter argument. To be honest, I don't even think you understand what was written.
    What you wrote makes no sense to anyone here.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Mello too.
    The opposition counter was going to be the playoffs argument to be factored in.

Mello too.
    The opposition counter was going to be the playoffs argument to be factored in.
    The facts says otherwise.

Playoffs? Don't even get me started.