Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Dirk is above KG in the all-time list

KG never choked like Dirk did in 06 and 07. He was a monster defensively( @ Dirk ever getting a DPOY) a way better rebounder and passer.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    KG never choked like Dirk did in 06 and 07. He was a monster defensively( @ Dirk ever getting a DPOY) a way better rebounder and passer.
    And KG never stepped up as big as Dirk did in 11. Dirk's 06 performance is pretty much a mirror of what Lebron did in 2011. Both had great playoff runs but were completed negated by their finals performance.

KG has had many many playoff series where he shot under 45%.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    He's also had like 1 really good playoff game his entire career . . . (that game against the Kings)

Local High School Star Mr Know It All's Avatar

Kevin Garnett is incredibly overrated on ISH, a number of people have made the claim that he is a top 20 player of all time

Garnett had a magnificent statistical peak, and was stout defensively, but other than that was unable to make his mark on the league as a first option, and that alone vaults Dirk above him in my view.

This debate will rage on and on though, so I'm not going to go into a big analysis of the subject. Fact is, as a pure basketball player, Garnett does many many things better than Dirk. Better defender, rebounder, passer. However, if I'm starting a franchise, and if I'm taking a guy in a game 7, I take Dirk every time.

Dirk also destroys Garnett in the class department.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Know It All
    Kevin Garnett is incredibly overrated on ISH, a number of people have made the claim that he is a top 20 player of all time

Garnett had a magnificent statistical peak, and was stout defensively, but other than that was unable to make his mark on the league as a first option, and that alone vaults Dirk above him in my view.

This debate will rage on and on though, so I'm not going to go into a big analysis of the subject. Fact is, as a pure basketball player, Garnett does many many things better than Dirk. Better defender, rebounder, passer. However, if I'm starting a franchise, and if I'm taking a guy in a game 7, I take Dirk every time.

KG is considered top 10-12 on another site, so this isn't that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Know It All

Who cares about "class" when determining how good a player is at basketball ? By that logic, Manute Bol is the GOAT
    And name 20 better than KG. Oh wait, you can't.

Quote Originally Posted by fos
    I like how people try and make it KG>Dirk and if you say otherwise you're trolling. You can make an argument either way for both of them. That said, I'll take Dirk Nowitzki thank you. 50 wins every year, a regular season and finals MVP and a reliable go-to clutch player. He's also a good defender contrary to conventional wisdom. It also doesn't hurt his case that he's outperformed KG head-to-head during his career.
    It's OP's style of writing that makes it trolling. How is it not easy to detect?

National High School Star CJ Mustard's Avatar

Lol @ the thread title.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Inception28
    Garnett is not the type of defensive anchor that a David Robinson, Dwight Howard, Alonzo Mourning, etc. were. Like Dirk, he actually needed some sort of defensive big man behind him. It's not like KG automatically turns poor defensive teams into elite ones like Robinson and Howard were capable of doing. Those T'Wolves team were never great defensively outside of the 03-04 season when KG won the MVP, they were never top 10 in team DRating. He is dependent on his teammates and on his team's schemes for that
    Defensive schemes and how teams approach defense are on the coach. Flip Sanders has a team now that could be great defensively but he's kind of like D'Antoni. The second KG got a defensive minded coach his team is among the defensive teams ever. And he communicates on defense probably better than any player before him. A communication system that totally kept teams out of the paint. Look at all the dunk videos on DH, Mourning and Duncan. Kobe runs a dunkfest on them because they play defense at the rim. With KG, penetrators weren't getting to the rim. Its a much better team system.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by rodman91
    His defense arguably better than Nowitzki's and many others but not quite as great as hyped.But he was versatile and intense for sure.
    Wow, this is from a guy that has Rodman as a screen-name and avatar. Do you really know what defense is?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Defensive schemes and how teams approach defense are on the coach. Flip Sanders has a team now that could be great defensively but he's kind of like D'Antoni. The second KG got a defensive minded coach his team is among the defensive teams ever. And he communicates on defense probably better than any player before him. A communication system that totally kept teams out of the paint. Look at all the dunk videos on DH, Mourning and Duncan. Kobe runs a dunkfest on them because they play defense at the rim. With KG, penetrators weren't getting to the rim. Its a much better team system.
    lol what the ****. communication? how the **** do you even know?

High School Varsity 6th Man moaz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dee-rose
    Fixed. I don't actually like hating on Dirk at all, but KG is totally on a whole other level.
    Fixed. I don't actually like hating on KG at all, but KG is totally on a whole lower level.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Friday
    lol what the ****. communication? how the **** do you even know?
    go to a game, watch a game on TV, read the papers, journals and mags.

brb misc?

Banned

Dirk is definitely better and has been so since 2005.

Garnett has him on defense and rebounding, dirk is better at everything else.