Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Why Wilt Chamberlain would dominate in today's game ! Bruce Blitz

he'll be great....

Decent playground baller Fatstogie's Avatar

No way. Old school players ar enot as strong. NOt as fast. Not as athletic. Not as conditioned. Any player from before... 1990 would get dominated. Because today people prepare their bodies for their entire lives to play basketball.

They did not back then. This nostalgia is denying facts that todays athletes are FAR more athletic.

Dwight howard would stuff wilt over and over and over and over and over again.

That shit wouldnt even be a fun 1 on 1 to watch.

Your crazy. Stop being nostalgic. In 20 year swhen my generation is weaker, ill accept reality. Fact is wilt is not athletic enough.

Today there are 6' dudes whod rain points on oldschool dudes. They would destroy them.

Good High School Starter Miller for 3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fatstogie
    No way. Old school players ar enot as strong. NOt as fast. Not as athletic. Not as conditioned. Any player from before... 1990 would get dominated. Because today people prepare their bodies for their entire lives to play basketball.

They did not back then. This nostalgia is denying facts that todays athletes are FAR more athletic.

Dwight howard would stuff wilt over and over and over and over and over again.

That shit wouldnt even be a fun 1 on 1 to watch.

Your crazy. Stop being nostalgic. In 20 year swhen my generation is weaker, ill accept reality. Fact is wilt is not athletic enough.

Today there are 6' dudes whod rain points on oldschool dudes. They would destroy them.

I love posts like these

Quote Originally Posted by Miller for 3

I love posts like these
    Its not wilt.

FACT of the matter is weve been shown a highly athletic 6'6 guy can out score a 7' guy on a regular basis.

Its not "oh in todays leage the size has gone down." No its that today smaller guys are better than they were before. So the size doesnt matter. wilt would get BLOWN by today. NOt enough speed. Or vert. Not enough lateral speed. Not even close. Dude would get left hanging while getting dunked on.

Dude played old fogeys with no skill. Today the average player is better than the average player then.

SCore 100 pooints? You cant cause eveyrone on the team can score now. In wilts day? Only he could score. Today everyone can score. So no one is gonna sit and watch 1 guy take shots. Like they did back then.

Its not entertaining either.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    at people saying "there'd be no centers to guard him". You don't think the vastly superior defensive schemes and help defense would cause a bigger problem?

I made this post comparing footage from a '67 game with Wilt and how he was defended.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=209939

Even if he would be the strongest player in the league(maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't), he wasn't backing guys down and overpowering them. Look at how he's able to dribble the ball for 3-4 seconds with no help, and not even going to a power move vs Russell who he had a good 3-4 inches and 50+ pounds on. Wilt really doesn't seem like he was a power player.

And honestly, if you even had to double him in today's game, it looks like it'd lead to a lot of turnovers considering he looks awkward with his back to the basket due to his ball handling and footwork. He also seemed to bring the ball down quite a bit which people criticize Howard for(and rightfully so). Good help defenders and hard double teams look like they could really bother him, if teams found it necessary to double him.

So I certainly don't see him dominating with his scoring, and to be honest, when Wilt scored more, it didn't seem to be the way that his teams were the most effective.

He could definitely have an elite impact as a shot blocker, post defender(later version at least when he committed to that end more) and he was a very good passer.

He seemed fast and athletic for a big man in the open court and I could see him running the floor, getting some dunks and put backs, but I haven't seen anything to suggest he'd be the most athletic player in the league.

And then there would be the questionable mentality(which people always bring up for Lebron)
    Great post!
    I always laugh when the old farts on this site claim that Wilt would abuse any center and that he would crush the centers of this weak era..

I've seen the '67 game you posted and it's pretty interesting to see him just hold the ball with his back to Russell in the post and without anyone coming to help Russell. Not only that, he looks so awkward when he has his back to the basket and he takes so long and he dribbles awkwardly in the post, it doesn't look skilled in any way. And haha, I saw the thread as well, you gotta laugh at Jlauber, whenever someone posts a link to a game where it's obvious that Wilt has flaws he always go "YOU POSTED THE WORST GAME WILT EVER PLAYED". Haha, so Wilt playing actual full games doesn't show his true game but highlight-videos of Wilt where the footage is carefully picked to make Wilt look better than what he was is more than ok..

Wilt always gets credit for being such an amazing scorer and that no other center comes close to him which is pure nonsense. In the playoffs we have 3 guys (Hakeem, Jabbar and Shaq) among the top 5 centers of all-time who all of them averaged more points per game on better FG% while facing superior defensive schemes and way more help defense in the playoffs. And it should also be mentioned that Wilt would never be able to average the minutes he did back then in the modern era so based on PER 36 his playoff scoring doesn't look all that dominant..

Bottom line, I don't think he'd be a dominant scorer today with his skills but it's a fact that he still would be a great defender, passer, shotblocker and rebounder.
    Last edited by millwad; 10-11-2011 at 05:35 PM.

It does look awkward. In todays league dudes would have a feild say stealing teh ball from him.

Dwight blocking him. CP3 stealing the ball.

It would be a joke seriously.

Wilt would average... 7 PPG in todays league.

I rule the local playground

you mean in the same league where Joel freakin Anthony started in the finals?Joel Anthony..one of the worst offensive centers i've seen in any level.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak
    you mean in the same league where Joel freakin Anthony started in the finals?Joel Anthony..one of the worst offensive centers i've seen in any level.
    Yet one of the better defenders youve seen, at a smaller size too. Your just too focused on offense.

Anthony provides more defense today, than wilt could offense.

In fact id prefer my center not even need to take shots. Although i think pittman will be a nice lil addition.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Wow load of crap. Sure they may have had a few 6'11 bigs... but were they 300 pounds? Did they have his insane wingspan? NO. He DID dominate purely because of his superior size and athleticism. Why do I say that? Because I watch his footage and I don't see a guy that's as skilled as everyone else at his position.
    Do you watch the NBA? Do you know of many 7' tall, 300 pound guys in the league right now?

These posts on this second page are just
    They make me lose even more faith in the youth of today

[quote]The question is if you take Wilt and put him in today

He even dominated Hyborian Age.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Any player from before... 1990 would get dominated.
    How do you think Kareem who played in 1969 was scoring 40 on guys who retired in like 2002?

How has robert Parish(out of 1976) had games with 18/14 vs a guy who retired in 2008(Chris Webber when he was a center in GS) Parish had 26/9 and 19/17 in back to back games vs one player who played until 02 and one who retired like 2 years ago. And he was 41. And he came in at 23. He was at an NBA age in 1974. This is a guy from almost 40 years ago who...in his 40s...was having huge games vs players who were solid today.

How does Moses Malone(drafted in 1974) drop 28/11 on the guy who was the DPOY in 2001 and still a great defender in 06 and 07? And this is old Moses 11-12 years past his prime.

How do you account for these things if its as simple as modern players would destroy old guys?

You could make a case that modern guards would outplay most old guards. Skills have changed. The yare expected to do different things.

Bigmen has been the same for 40 years. They weight train now....but it didnt stop any great old school player when he played modern players on his way out. These guys were often just country strong. Burly ass dudes like Wes Unseld, Wayne Embry, Lanier, reed, and so on. They didnt need much weight training.

And its not like they didnt have muscle anyway

Centers have been pretty much the same since the late 50s or at least mid 60s.

They would translate better than guards do.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

They'd definitely translate better than guards, imo, but I don't agree that they've been the same since before the 70's. Kareem and Walton were among the first with post games I've seen that still look good compared to the more recent great post players.

And it's not just about facing today's big men. 60's big men would also be affected by the progression of perimeter players and strategies. The much longer, more athletic perimeter players are often the ones helping out on the center.

Nevermind the fact that it'd also be much tougher to stay out of foul trouble with perimeter players so much more capable and willing to attack the basket now than in the 60's. How much footage have you seen of perimeter players in the 60's blowing by their man off the dribble and attacking the body of the center or trying to dunk on him? I have yet to see much due to the vastly superior ball handling skills as well as palming being enforced less and superior quickness and athleticism on the perimeter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    How do you think Kareem who played in 1969 was scoring 40 on guys who retired in like 2002?

How has robert Parish(out of 1976) had games with 18/14 vs a guy who retired in 2008(Chris Webber when he was a center in GS) Parish had 26/9 and 19/17 in back to back games vs one player who played until 02 and one who retired like 2 years ago. And he was 41. And he came in at 23. He was at an NBA age in 1974. This is a guy from almost 40 years ago who...in his 40s...was having huge games vs players who were solid today.

How does Moses Malone(drafted in 1974) drop 28/11 on the guy who was the DPOY in 2001 and still a great defender in 06 and 07? And this is old Moses 11-12 years past his prime.
    A few games sure. They wouldnt be able to do it on a regular basis. Sure they are good at basketball. But they wouldnt be able to do it all the time in todays league.

How do you account for these things if its as simple as modern players would destroy old guys?
    Naw im saying they are more into their craft. Back then there wasnt so many guys who were playing basketball their entire life. The whole league was "hey your big, you should come play basketball." Where as now they draft a kid who has been training his entire life to be a professional athlete.

Im not saying these guys werent good. they did not devote their entire lives to the game as guys do today. They werent eating the same. Working otu the same. They didnt have the same conditioning.

yea they had skill sure. But night in and night out? They couldnt hold up.

You could make a case that modern guards would outplay most old guards. Skills have changed. The yare expected to do different things.

Bigmen has been the same for 40 years. They weight train now....but it didnt stop any great old school player when he played modern players on his way out. These guys were often just country strong. Burly ass dudes like Wes Unseld, Wayne Embry, Lanier, reed, and so on. They didnt need much weight training
    .Not quite. I mean basically sure. But your seeing a change. Dwight being just the prime example. These older bigmen. Yes they can score. Shooting is something someone can do or not. If htey can shoot sure they can shoot.

CAN THEY PLAY DEFENSE. no.
    And its not like they didnt have muscle anyway

it aint just lifting weights. Today they have high tech workouts n shit. Nutritionists.

Yea and im saying centers would translate better. But im saying he would not score 100 pts in todays league. Not even close.

For one no one wants to see that. No player will want to be on is team. They didnt care then, cause they were garbage.

Now everyone can score.

But yea ill agree center would be the last position of change. Im more saying that these guys would not be allowed to hog the ball like they did back then.