Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: 1994 Bulls (w/ Jordan) vs. 1994 Rockets

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    Yes, Olajuwon was just THAT amazing! GOAT!
    From '94-95 he was the best I ever saw.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    MJ wasn't doing as much for his teams like Hakeem was, imo. He wasn't the Bulls' best passer or rebounder for the bulk of his career...and.. in his prime had to anchor a defense, pull down double-digit rebounds a night, grab a couple stls a game, block 3+ shots and lead his team in scoring year in and out; I'd of like to see MJ keep up these scoring (team) titles...

But of course.. fulfilling ALL those functions year in and out would be DETRIMENTAL to his scoring title success and possibly Chicago's chances of winning titles because he was INCAPABLE of doing so...whereas, Olajuwon was FORCED to do inorder for his team(s) to be successful.
    LOL Jordan WAS his team's best passer for the bulk of his career, was the best their best defender up until his first retirement, and was their 2nd or 3rd best rebounder despite being a guard.

Your second paragraph is laughable. Despite having to shoulder such a scoring load, Jordan never shied away from any aspect of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    LOL Jordan WAS his team's best passer for the bulk of his career, was the best their best defender up until his first retirement, and was their 2nd or 3rd best rebounder despite being a guard.
    From '92-98, I thought Pippen was better. I'll admit, I overstated claiming he wasn't for the 'bulk of his career'.

Your second paragraph is laughable. Despite having to shoulder such a scoring load, Jordan never shied away from any aspect of the game.
    Laughable? What?... He didn't have to do as much as Olajuwon. What did MadMax, Thorpe and Kenny Smith do without Hakeem in their careers? NADA, ZILCH. Maxwell and Kenny Smith never saw out of the 1st round in their careers without Hakeem. Horry left Houston and couldn't even last 1/2 a season with Phoenix.

3-time NBA All-Star

From '92-98, I thought Pippen was better. I'll admit, I overstated claiming he wasn't for the 'bulk of his career'.
    Defender maybe. He's never been a better passer. Just cause he was there point forward does not mean he was.

Laughable? What?... He didn't have to do as much as Olajuwon. What did MadMax, Thorpe and Kenny Smith do without Hakeem in their careers? NADA, ZILCH. Maxwell and Kenny Smith never saw out of the 1st round in their careers without Hakeem. Horry left Houston and couldn't even last 1/2 a season with Phoenix.
    The notion that he didn't do more cause it was detrimental to his scoring title is laughable. The notion that he shied away at all is laughable.

Facts Are Misleading

If there is one thing that this past finals would've proven to us, it's that championship series cannot be viewed as:

*insert player here* >>> *insert players here*

etc, etc, like OLDSCHOOLBBALL is doing. That's not the way it works.

Rockets clearly did not have a more talented team player for player, but depending on who makes or misses their shots, how the stars play, refs, etc...nobody knows. It's foolish to do what OLDSCHOOL was doing and quite frankly, he should know better because he's not an idiot teenager like most people here.

There's a legit chance the Rockets win a series against the Bulls.

Quote Originally Posted by NugzHeat3
    Lets see.

1994 Suns vs Rockets

KJ > Smith
    Majerle > Maxwell
    Ceballos > Horry
    Barkley > Thorpe
    Hakeem > Oliver Miller

AC Greeen and Danny Ainge also give the edge to the Suns bench.

Suns have the edge in experience which was evident when the Rockets blew the first two games at home with double digit leads in each game and were called choke city by their own paper.

The fact is the game goes beyond match ups and who had the more experience. Seems like you have trouble grasping that.

And keep ignoring what the Bulls noted about the Rockets. Next time I discuss the Rockets vs Bulls, I'll be sure to mention you and your compelling argument as to why the Bulls would "easily" come out on top.
    That is correct. It is safe to say the Rockets lose every match-up in those 94 playoffs beside the center position.

Portland
    Strickland > Smith
    Drexler > Maxwell
    Robinson > Horry
    Williams = Thorpe
    Grant or Dudley < Olajuwon

Suns
    see above post

Jazz
    Stockton > Smith
    Hornacek > Maxwell
    Russell < Horry
    Malone > Thorpe
    Spencer < Olajuwon

Knicks
    Harper > Smith
    Starks > Maxwell
    Mason > Horry
    Oakley > Thorhe
    Ewing < Olajuwon

NBA rookie of the year

From '94-95 he was the best I ever saw.
    lmao

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    The notion that he didn't do more cause it was detrimental to his scoring title is laughable. The notion that he shied away at all is laughable.
    No, what I'm saying if he did as much as Hakeem, he'd either A) sacrifice a scoring title, or B) do more harm than good attaining better all-around stats; his usage % would be miles ahead of anyone else in history..assuming he continues to score at the same rate. There's nothing laughable about that, unless of course you're a Jocker.

Olajuwon as a first and singular option during those years, Guy..was too much for any team..especially one without a center like those mid 90's Bulls. It would take a Cartwright elbow to the eye socket..to stop Hakeem those years. At the time...I am sorry to say...and I can say this without joking..Hakeem was the best player I have ever seen lace them up, period. Many say this. That was better than anything I saw MJ, Kareem or Bird do...and I am a huge fan of all of them. What he did out there vs the comp just at his own position..was spectacular.

lmao
    Yes, it's hilarious that you didn't have a response for NugzHeats' post.

NBA rookie of the year

How did Jordan "not do as much" as Hakeem? He scored significantly more, assisted significantly more, was one of the best guard rebounders of all time, and was one of the best defenders of all time. No one - not Hakeem, not anyone - exerted more energy on the court than '85-'93 Jordan on both ends. That's what he was known for, actually - his stamina and energy level.

Irrational Jordan superfan StarJordan's Avatar

Bulls had a pretty easy time sweeping champion houston rockets with Hakeem in '96 as i recall

Quote Originally Posted by StarJordan
    Bulls had a pretty easy time sweeping champion houston rockets with Hakeem in '96 as i recall
    Gained Rodman

Lost Smith

Rockets record against Bulls from 1990-1993 (Threepeat era)

5 wins - 1 loss

If regular season is any indication, it's not too much to think they'd have a decent winning chance.

How did Jordan "not do as much" as Hakeem?
    If Hakeem tried to put up 41 ppg in the finals during his run.,.the rockets would have lost..let me explain why..who again did MJ face in the 1993 finals? Thunder dan, ainge and KJ? Seriously..all perennial first ballot HOF players and all nba players at the SG spot right? and def first teamers? Now lets look at who Hakeem was facing..Patrick and Shaq? Perennial all stars and all nba centers...titanic matchups..all with Hakeem getting next to no help down low..so if he went out there and forget about team ball to stat pad 40 ppg..his defense would have suffered. There was no, horace and scottie..along with the elbow shivers of a dirty Bill cartwright waiting for folks. Thorpe was good..but come on..all def players in scottie and horace? Scottie especially..who could guard MJ's men..who did Hakeem have to do that..Matt Bullard? Come on, gimme a break!!!...I posted something similar to this just a day ago.

I am not hating on Jordan, Oldschoollbball..not at all. I do not want to argue with anyone..its not what I posted here for. I like most of your posts here...especially when you educate the Bryant-brigade. I understand you may not like what I say and I am ok with that..we all have our opinions. I just believe Hakeem's two year finals journey is the greatest run by one player I have ever seen. Nothing compares in my opinion.

NBA rookie of the year

No one denies that Hakeem had some epic matchups, but so did MJ (Magic, Drexler). Even if Hakeem had tougher matchups (and I would agree he did), that doesnt mean he exerted more energy on the court than MJ did, because that's just not true.