Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Mr. Stern: where does it say that all NBA teams have to make a profit?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Steve Jobs makes $1 per year in salary. He is the lowest paid employee at Apple, going by salary.
    Where in the quote did he say salary as an employee. I guess if your weak in logic then it follows that your also weak in reading comprehension

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Mr. Stern: where does it say that all NBA teams have to make a profit?

Quote Originally Posted by knicksman
    Where in the quote did he say salary as an employee. I guess if your weak in logic then it follows that your also weak in reading comprehension
    College coaches make more money than the presidents of the schools.

There's an example of an employee making more money than an employer.

a school president isnt the employer

the people who fund the school are the employers

People seem to forget that a sports business is different, and it's not all about profits. If you are not into it, you really shouldn't be owning a team int he first place.

3-time NBA All-Star

you really said that the president is the owner. That shows how idiot you are.

Quote Originally Posted by knicksman
    you really said that the president is the owner. That shows how idiot you are.
    I never said owner. I said employer.

Is the ultimate goal of a team to win or to make profit?

If it's to make profit, then every team should be forced to run itself as cheaply as Donald Sterling does the Clippers. Owners like Mark Cuban should not be allowed to pimp out the locker room, and give all the amenities to his players.

If it's to win, then profit shouldn't even matter.

Banned

Is the ultimate goal of a team to win or to make profit?...
    It's to win AND make a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalkmaze
    It's to win AND make a profit.
    Not always possible.

Banned

Not always possible.
    But that is the ULTIMATE goal and it should always be possible. If the only way to win is to lose money, that's ridiculous, and that's why you have lockouts to correct the situation to where it makes a little more rational sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalkmaze
    But that is the ULTIMATE goal and it should always be possible. If the only way to win is to lose money, that's ridiculous, and that's why you have lockouts to correct the situation to where it makes a little more rational sense.
    Why should any business be guaranteed to make profit? If a pro basketball team can guarantee profit, then shouldn't we have pro basketball teams in ever city across the country? I mean we can fix the entire economy just by having basketball teams in every city.

3-time NBA All-Star

I never said owner. I said employer.
    owner and employer are the same

Banned

Why should any business be guaranteed to make profit? If a pro basketball team can guarantee profit, then shouldn't we have pro basketball teams in ever city across the country? I mean we can fix the entire economy just by having basketball teams in every city.

You tend to go off topic when you don't have a good rebuttle. (fixing the economy wth?)

1 - Bottom line is that a hardcap is the best way to have a FAIR competition. That's all I and most of the people in smaller markets want, a league that's fair. Allowing one team to spend as much as it wants versus another that can't afford to is like watching prime Mike Tyson fight Sugar Ray Leonard. It's not fair, it's not fun to watch (unless you like to see bloodbaths). I want to watch a fair competition instead of watching a card game where everyone knows who has stacked decks.

2 - Owner's of business do what they do in order to make a profit.

3 - When you have a league of 30 teams under a league system, it's obvious there will be the cities that have more financial power, and cities that have less financial power. Not everyone can be L.A., so either the league has 5 teams total, or they make a system where they even things out. This makes a strong league that's fun for everyone.

__________________________________________________ _______________

I see the league needing a hardcap so that things are fair and everyone makes money, and if some of the players think they can do better elsewhere, then I say that's what they should do.

I don't like the concept of revenue sharing, but it that can keep things fair, then maybe that's the way to go.

3-time NBA All-Star

Is the ultimate goal of a team to win or to make profit?

If it's to make profit, then every team should be forced to run itself as cheaply as Donald Sterling does the Clippers. Owners like Mark Cuban should not be allowed to pimp out the locker room, and give all the amenities to his players.

If it's to win, then profit shouldn't even matter.
    The goal of every owner is to win while in ordinary business is to profit. The common between the 2 is that they dont want losses. The problem in the nba is not that they are not profiting but because they are losing.

3-time NBA All-Star

Because the nba is not a start up business. Nba is an established business and in fact the number 1 basketball sport. If the number 1 basketball sport is losing while euroleague is gaining then that means that youre business has a problem.