Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Mr. Stern: where does it say that all NBA teams have to make a profit?

Quote Originally Posted by knicksman
    Theres nothing coincidence if you win 80% of the time and there are 24 small markets to 6 big markets and you win 80%? I want the league to succeed and so I would try the system of NHL and NFL which are more profitable right now than the nba. Sad that the NBA is now the least profitable when its NCAA counterpart is near football in terms popularity.
    Almost all those wins come from 2 teams: Lakers and Celtics. They also happen to be the best run franchise.

NBA doesn't allow for flukes to happen the way the NFL does. If the NBA had a single elimination playoff, then we would see upsets too like we do in the NFL. Patriots would never lose to the Giants in a 7 game series. If the NBA had single elimination, then in 2000 the Lakers would have lost to the Sixers, in 2006 the Mavs would have beaten the Heat, in 2011 the Heat would have beaten the Mavs, in 1991 the Lakers would have beaten the Bulls in Jordan's first finals.

Local High School Star Pinkhearts's Avatar

Default Re: Mr. Stern: where does it say that all NBA teams have to make a profit?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Steve Jobs makes $1 per year in salary. He is the lowest paid employee at Apple, going by salary.
    Sure. Let's pay all the players with stock in the NBA teams. Give Wade 30% of the Miami Heat and pay him $1. I'm sure he'll love that! He can take home 30% of the Heat's annual earnings. Miami will be always under the cap too. Not too sure whether Stern will let this fly though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkhearts
    Sure. Let's pay all the players with stock in the NBA teams. Give Wade 30% of the Miami Heat and pay him $1. I'm sure he'll love that! He can take home 30% of the Heat's annual earnings. Miami will be always under the cap too. Not too sure whether Stern will let this fly though.
    James Dolan wanted to give Lebron stock in MSG if he came to NY, but the NBA wouldn't allow it.

3-time NBA All-Star

Kobe didn't force his way to the Lakers. He was part of a trade on draft day for Vlade Divac.
    McGrady was traded to Houston.
    Amar'e wanted to stay with Phoenix, but the owner didn't want to give him a full contract. NY was the only team willing to pay him the max.
    Melo got traded to NY. He played out his contract. He is also originally from the east coast, and his wife is from NY. Is it so wrong for him to want to play for an east coast team?

The number of players that have forced their way out is far smaller than the number of players who stayed with their original franchise.

Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Olajuwon, Ewing, Isiah, Michael Jordan, David Robinson, Tim Duncan, Dominique Wilkins. The list goes on forever.
    coz tmac dont want to be orlando. There are teams who are willing to do a sign and trade for amare but he chose new york. Melo wanted new york. kobe/johnson forced their way or else they wont be traded.

3-time NBA All-Star

Almost all those wins come from 2 teams: Lakers and Celtics. They also happen to be the best run franchise.

NBA doesn't allow for flukes to happen the way the NFL does. If the NBA had a single elimination playoff, then we would see upsets too like we do in the NFL. Patriots would never lose to the Giants in a 7 game series. If the NBA had single elimination, then in 2000 the Lakers would have lost to the Sixers, in 2006 the Mavs would have beaten the Heat, in 2011 the Heat would have beaten the Mavs, in 1991 the Lakers would have beaten the Bulls in Jordan's first finals.
    they are just run the same as other small markets, its just that they can spend more. Im not saying I want a single elimination but I want the playoffs to be best of 5 and make it best of 3 in the first round. And I really dont care if dynasties still happen even with hard cap. I just want all teams to be equal coz its good for the business. But I know you have no idea about business coz you dont realize the importance of fairness. Fairness=more fans=more revenue. Im not a 15 yr old kid who wants the league to be wrestling . Where the more famous wrestler most likely to win.

Local High School Star magicmanfan's Avatar

Why should any business be guaranteed to make profit? If a pro basketball team can guarantee profit, then shouldn't we have pro basketball teams in ever city across the country? I mean we can fix the entire economy just by having basketball teams in every city.
    That's exactly why I think the "new" owners are ruining the league.

They had their best TV ratings in years when those two team met....

I wonder what the ratings will be when the finals are....

MIN vs WAS ???????

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease with malice's Avatar

I get what the gist of your post is magicmanfan, but I also think that if the NBA as a business is making heaps of money, why shouldn't teams be able to make a profit?

Quote Originally Posted by with malice
    I get what the gist of your post is magicmanfan, but I also think that if the NBA as a business is making heaps of money, why shouldn't teams be able to make a profit?
    this article on SI explains how the league's hard line for guaranteed
    profits is making things worse:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...out/index.html

The players have given up a lot, they may have to give up more,
    but the league needs to move too. So far they haven't. Not an inch.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by magicmanfan
    They had their best TV ratings in years when those two team met....

I wonder what the ratings will be when the finals are....

MIN vs WAS ???????
    if min had kobe and was had bron itd be pretty good................

Quote Originally Posted by RazorBaLade
    if min had kobe and was had bron itd be pretty good................
    Just like Duncan vs Lebron did pretty good too?