Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Default Re: Has Scoring Become Undervalued Here?

Scoring is overrated. There's a reason why DeBRICK Rose won the MVP award.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    With the enhanced use of advanced stats and increased reliance on box scores I have come to realize that scoring has become somewhat undervalued.

Many posters here seem to think that scoring a lot is a bad thing. But when is the last time a pass first point guard was the best player on a championship team. Thought so. It isn't coincidence, it is because of the nature of the game.

My question is, why has this sudden shift occurred? Is it because people don't understand the game and must rely on advanced stats or because they feel the need to down scoring to feel elitist?
    I think it has to do more with shot selection and efficiency. Offcourse scoring is important, but today's game focuses on too many one on one and not enough ball movement on offense. Get the right shot and get the best shot for your team possession. It's easier said than done, but it's most efficient way possible.

Born again Cavs fan bballnoob1192's Avatar

IMO there are two types of elite scorers the 50% FG scorers like Lebron james. these players can give you 27-30 a nite and 40+ some times. They will fit into a team that has other role players who can score decently also. Then there are elite scorers like Kobe who shoots at 45% FG and can give you 27-30 points a nite and 50+ points a nite or even 60 points. You ask what is different between the two? well the Lebron type scorers are more efficient, but less explosive and the Kobe type scorers are less efficient but more explosive.

so there is no undervaluing of scoring, it's just how people value their two type of elite scorers.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    LOL @ Dirk posting up Wade. GTFO
    yeah we already knew youre an idiot. No need to prove it.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Inactive
    What? Dirk doesn't have the lateral quickness to stay in front of either.

You realize that's insanely flawed logic, right? Is Manu better than Tim Duncan, Emeka Okafor, Carmelo Anthony, Carlos Boozer, Richard Jefferson, Shawn Marion, Lamar Odom, Amar'e Stoudemire, LeBron James, Allen Iverson, Stephon Marbury, Dwyane Wade, because Argentina won the 2004 Olympics, and you can't argue that his teammates were better?

A TEAM can outplay another TEAM even it's individual players aren't as good.
    even if they dont have lateral quickness, it doesnt mean that theyll get by dirk in every play. If they cant, then dirk has the length to bother them.

And I dont give too much value on olympics. They are not serious about winning at that time thats why they put young players in there.

Scoring is only one side of the floor and it's not the side that wins championships. Do you want a guy scoring 30 points a night on 25-30 shots and struggling to shoot 40% from the field? The 30 points are nice, but you're giving it all right back and perhaps even more with poor decisions and shot selection.

Quote Originally Posted by D.J.
    Scoring is only one side of the floor and it's not the side that wins championships. Do you want a guy scoring 30 points a night on 25-30 shots and struggling to shoot 40% from the field? The 30 points are nice, but you're giving it all right back and perhaps even more with poor decisions and shot selection.
    name me all the guys in the history of the nba who scored 30 ppg and hurt there teams while doing it?

guess what, it doesnt happen because coaches or other players would check them.

Local High School Star SunsCaptain's Avatar

name me all the guys in the history of the nba who scored 30 ppg and hurt there teams while doing it?

Iverson.

Quote Originally Posted by SunsCaptain
    Iverson.
    and wilt

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Math2
    and wilt
    When Wilt averaged 50 ppg in '62, he did so on a team that went 49-31. And, it was basically the same LAST-PLACE roster that he joined in his rookie season in '60 (when he immediately took them to a then best-ever team record of 49-26.)

And, somehow Wilt took that cast of clowns to a game seven, two point loss, against the 60-20 Celtics and their SEVEN HOFers, in the ECF's. BTW, his teammates collectively shot .354 in that post-season.

So, instead of ripping Wilt for his performance, he should be applauded as SINGLE-HANDEDLY carrying a pathetic roster to a mounmental near upset of the greatest dynasty in professional team sports history.

Yeah scoring efficiency is given too much weight. It isn't like the team with the best scoring efficiency in the playoffs won the title this past season. Oh wait....

The object of shooting the basketball is to actually make the shot.

Iverson is a prime example. Say he averages 30 PPG on 10/25 shooting. Those 15 shots he's missing gives the other team a brand new possession without allowing any points from Iverson. Those 15 shots is a potential 30 points. Iverson was also good for about 4 turnovers a game. That's a possible 8 points. Iverson's 30 points is not only negated, but it also puts his team in a hole.

3-time NBA All-Star

I think its undervalued. Its one of those things that was overvalued for a long time so people now tend to undervalue it because of it. I think people here think scoring, passing, defense, rebounding are all equal, which I don't believe at all. They tend to think someone who is on one level of rebounding is equal to another players who is on the same level of scoring (ignoring other aspects I mean). I don't understand that at all.