Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: How Massively Overrated is John Stockton?

Gary Payton said John Stockton is the player that gave him the most troubles. So John Stockton >>>>>>>>>>>> everyone except: Isiah, Magic

I think in terms of a GOAT ranking for PG's Stock deserves to be ranked anywhere from 4-7. That's because he has the all time assists and steals titles. He had great longevity and is as good of a passer that there has ever been. He also had great D as well.

But that's GOAT type shit. I want my PG to be like Magic, Isiah, Big O, Tiny, Frazier, Payton, Nash, Paul, or Deron. And that is more of a two way threat. These guys can run a team just as good as Stock or damn close. But they all SMOKE Stock in terms of taking over a game scoring. I know haters are gonna say "A PG is supposed to run the team". Thats true but what if the PG is ALSO the team's best scorer as well? Or what if the team needs more scoring punch to go along with the number one option? What if the team is flat and needs a jolt? What if its playoff time and u gotta let it all hang out to advance? That's why I prefer these PG's over Stock. A guy like Rose isn't as balanced as the other guys. But their is no denying that the man as true takeover scoring ability. But he's not in Stock's class in terms of running a team. But D Rose is still young and teams would FEAR D Rose 1000 times more than they would fear Stock. So I would take D Rose over Stock as well. D Rose doesn't suck at running a team, its just that he has SG or combo guard type mentality.

Payton said Stock gave him the toughest time in terms of Stock's grit and smarts. Stock had a massive heart and would battle GP when defending GP. Stock could also drop a dime in a heartbeat so u had to be on your toes. And Stock was very crafty and an underrated scoring threat. But don't get it twisted, GP would have a way tougher time guarding KJ, Hardaway, Penny, or Mark Price before he would Stock in terms of scoring.
    Last edited by bizil; 09-16-2011 at 03:45 AM.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Miserio
    Gary Payton said John Stockton is the player that gave him the most troubles. So John Stockton >>>>>>>>>>>> everyone except: Isiah, Magic
    Why not just go all the way and say that Stockton >>>>>>>>>>>> everyone at the point? After all, Payton faced Magic and Isiah, so it doesn't make sense to exclude them if Payton faced all three of them and said Stockton gave him the most trouble.

But why stop there? Payton faced Jordan. If Payton said Stockton gave him the most trouble, then that means he places Stockton above Jordan (who did have his worst Finals performance when he faced Payton's Sonics), which means Stockton = GOAT.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
    Why not just go all the way and say that Stockton >>>>>>>>>>>> everyone at the point? After all, Payton faced Magic and Isiah, so it doesn't make sense to exclude them if Payton faced all three of them and said Stockton gave him the most trouble.

But why stop there? Payton faced Jordan. If Payton said Stockton gave him the most trouble, then that means he places Stockton above Jordan (who did have his worst Finals performance when he faced Payton's Sonics), which means Stockton = GOAT.
    Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Friday
    He is certainly closer to overrated than underrated.
    I'm believe so too when people are putting Stock on the level of Magic or Isiah. Stock was a great, great player. But he was great at running the show and on D. But that's where the buck stops. A guy like Zeke put the double the pressure on defense. Malone would have been a beast in any system. He was awesome running the floor and developed a great midrange shot. Malone's work ethic ensured his greatness in the L. If anything, Malone did more for Stock than Stock did for Malone. But I feel Stock was a great floor general, and in terms of pure dimes is one of the five greatest passers on all time.

Quote Originally Posted by donald_trump
    better playmaker, a good man defender, better rebounder.

i dont know how anyone could take stockton over deron. he'd average 12 odd assists playing with malone, be a much bigger threat at scoring and is a solid defender.

any team would be better with him on it.
    I'd take Stockton over D-Will in a heartbeat.

What Magnax said is pretty much true about 90% of Jazz fans who saw both of them

Banned

Not at all.

I've always ranked Stockton over Walt,Kidd,Nash,Payton

But always felt I could never rank him over Isiah

Funny how this thread is about people overrating him yet it has people underrating him

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Miserio
    So if Payton said Mitch Richmond gave him more troubles than Jordan, then Richmond >>>>>>>>>>>> Jordan?

Quote Originally Posted by donald_trump
    i think you put it best. stockton was never a player you feared.

unless you played against him. Ask Gary Payton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-cG7uUBYxo

I liked Isiah but he was a bit of a chucker with limited range. He was a career 29% shooter from 3 compared to Stocktons 38%. Stocktons career FG% was 51.5%.

People who don't think Stockton could score didn't watch him play. He was a pass first player by choice, not by necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    unless you played against him. Ask Gary Payton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-cG7uUBYxo
    That Gary Payton is video is something. A very strong endorsement.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    I liked Isiah but he was a bit of a chucker with limited range. He was a career 29% shooter from 3 compared to Stocktons 38%. Stocktons career FG% was 51.5%.

People who don't think Stockton could score didn't watch him play. He was a pass first player by choice, not by necessity.
    No, his shot creation ability was clearly limited. He had a long career and no blockbuster scoring nights, that should tell you something.

He was a textbook pointguard all the coaches and oldschool basketball fans would adore.And he was great one.

I think that's reason he is quite overrated because he was textbook GOAT pointguard.

Def not one of my favorite players but he deserves great respect. He was tough,dirty and good defender that you would never expect him to be.