Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Default Re: Chris Mullin vs Larry Bird $100 bucks a shot

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe 4 The Win
    Pippen is a complimentary player who quit on his team when they needed him in the playoffs. How does that compare to Magic Johnson? If you want to bring up the 1991 finals, Jordan and Pippen were racking up fouls when they tried to guard Magic. The reason the Bulls won was that they had the younger, healthier team and Jordan played out of his mind. Also 2 of our 5 starters (Scott and Worthy) were playing with bad wheels. Worthy was able to pull himself together enough to score early in the servies but he was not anywhere near his best. The injury hampered every aspect of his game and eventually he had to sit out.
    Its sad you feel this way. The bulls had the series well in hand when worthy and scott were hurt. All the rest of the stuff is excuses. Jordan was playing on a bad wheel too. It happens. I could just as easily say that had isaiah thomas not injured himself, the pistons go on to beat the lakers in 88.

As far as the term "complimentary", I. Was reading an article about pippen and whether or not he was a complimentary player. It something if you consider a catcher in baseball "complimentary" to a pitcher. or the way a wide reciever "compliments" a quarter back. Or the way your left and right arm "compliment" each other, you get the point, then sure pippen complimented jordan.

Go back and listen to jordan hall of fame speach. He says every championship he won, he did it with pippen.

And you need to let what he did in 94 go. You ACT as if he stayed out cuz he DIDN'T want the opportunity. But how fitting it is that in game 6 of the bulls last championship, he hurt his back and played through it and even contributed. He was far from a quitter.

I checked the results of some other all-time greats and what their "complimentary" players did without them.

The lakers in 91 won 58 games. He retired, was replaced with sedale threat, who was a solid pg and the won 43 game. They still had worthy and scott.

The celtics in I believe 89 lost bird to injury they replaced him with reggie lewsi. Who was a very good young player. The result? They went from 57 wins to 42 wins. They still had mchale and parrish.

The year shaq was traded from the lakers to the heat, they replaced him with chris mihm. During that year, id make the argument that he was a top 10 center. The result? The lakers won 38 games with bryant leading the team.

The bulls replaced michael jordan with pete myers. Undoubted the biggest drop off in talent. They went from 57 wins to 55 wins.

And please no excuses. Sure bryant missed 14 games, but pippen missed 10. Bird did play in 6 of those games that year and I'm sure they at least won 3 of the six. And the reggie lewis had a very good campaign replacing bird.

You could say that the bulls also picked up kukoc. Which is true. But then id come back with the fact that kobes lakers also got koron butler and lamar odom. Kukoc was a rookie and didn't speak good english.

The bulls did win the championship the year before, and while none of the other teams did, they all made it to the fianls.

Just thought this would give pippen 94 season some strong perspective.

Its sad you feel this way. The bulls had the series well in hand when worthy and scott were hurt.

So the Bulls had the series well in hand in Game 1 when Worthy was visibly limping up and down the court at the start of the game?

I could just as easily say that had isaiah thomas not injured himself, the pistons go on to beat the lakers in 88.

They might have, just as LA might have won in 89 had Magic Johnson not pulled a hammy and missed a huge chunk of the series

As far as the term "complimentary", I. Was reading an article about pippen and whether or not he was a complimentary player. It something if you consider a catcher in baseball "complimentary" to a pitcher. or the way a wide reciever "compliments" a quarter back. Or the way your left and right arm "compliment" each other, you get the point, then sure pippen complimented jordan.

Barkley played with Pip along side Hakeem in Houston and he said that he discovered that Pippen "couldn't play without Michael". Charles Barkley's words, not mine

Go back and listen to jordan hall of fame speach. He says every championship he won, he did it with pippen.

It's customary to compliment your teamates in a HOF speach. Just because Jordan said he did it with Pippen (which is common sense) doesn't mean that Pip is on Magic Johnson's level.

And you need to let what he did in 94 go. You ACT as if he stayed out cuz he DIDN'T want the opportunity. But how fitting it is that in game 6 of the bulls last championship, he hurt his back and played through it and even contributed. He was far from a quitter.

So I need to let go of (ignore) the negative stuff he did and only focus on the positive stuff? That's not how the real world works.

Its sad you feel this way. The bulls had the series well in hand when worthy and scott were hurt.

So the Bulls had the series well in hand in Game 1 when Worthy was visibly limping up and down the court at the start of the game?

I could just as easily say that had isaiah thomas not injured himself, the pistons go on to beat the lakers in 88.

They might have, just as LA might have won in 89 had Magic Johnson not pulled a hammy and missed a huge chunk of the series

Barkley played with Pip along side Hakeem in Houston and he said that he discovered that Pippen "couldn't play without Michael". Charles Barkley's words, not mine

It's customary to compliment your teamates in a HOF speach. Just because Jordan said he did it with Pippen (which is common sense) doesn't mean that Pip is on Magic Johnson's level.

So I need to let go of (ignore) the negative stuff he did and only focus on the positive stuff? That's not how the real world works.
    Worthy wasn't not visibly limping in game one.

Barkley and pippen didn't get along in houston. Pippen called barkley fat and lazy. Which was very true.

And while its true that its customary. Jordan said it. His words not mine. Before he went down the line and thanled all the people that had a role in making him what he became, dean smith, his mother, his siblings, phil jackson, whoever else, he thanked pippen.

And I never said you need to ignore that play in 94. I said let it go. It was one play in an almost 20 year career. One friggn play. I acknowledged it. But I also understand why he did it. As a coach id be happy to have a guy that's willing to take that last second shot.

Just think of all the players after jordan retired in 98 that could've joined the bulls. Carter, mcgrady, duncan, hill. To name a few. A lot of them chose not to come to the bulls cuz they didn't want to have to fill jordans shoes. That was a lot of pressure. Pippen gladly did it and excelled at it.

Maybe you missed my next post, but I defy you to show me another team that did as well as the bulls did in 94 after they lost their best player.

My criteria for what inconsider great is obviously different from a lot of people. But I'm sorry, I've alway believe magic played in a system that was perfect for him, and routinely had the best team far and away. As well as playing in a dispicable conference. He lost to a lot of teams he had no business loosing to. And to me, that holds a lot of weight.

Is he ranked higher than pippen? Yes. He's accomplished more than pip on a personal level. But that's due to no fault of pippen I've checked other great players rosters that were comparable to the bulls roster talent-wise. And pippen blows them out the water as far as what he was able to accomplish.

97 when did you actually start watching basketball. Your stances are flat out ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    97 when did you actually start watching basketball. Your stances are flat out ridiculous.
    Lol the truth hurts don't it? I don't think anything I said is off base. Its you laaker fans that always want to see thing through purple and gold glasses. I admit that with a healthy worthy and scott the series is a lot more interesting. I still think the bulls come out on top though. But all I hear from laker fans is excuses as to how or why their team lost. As if the lakers never benifitted from having to play an injury riddled team. Wasn't mchale hurt in 87? Didn't you guys benifit from thomas spraining his ankle in 89? Hell jordan had a bad wheel too in the 91 finals.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    I actually think talent-wise, bird and mullin are tit-for-tat. Mullin just never had the teams good enough to win like bird

97 bulls continues to hate on players from the 80's Lakers & Celtics so he can believe in his mind that the 90's Bulls are the GOAT team. Let your insecurities go.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers

97 bulls continues to hate on players from the 80's Lakers & Celtics so he can believe in his mind that the 90's Bulls are the GOAT team. Let your insecurities go.
    Some of mullins best years were in the 80s. What are you talking about?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Some of mullins best years were in the 80s. What are you talking about?
    You missed the point.

Yes, Worthy was limping in game one. The commentators were discussing it early in the game. I watched the f**king game yesterday. Don't call me a liar please. Worthy was clearly injured. I think it happened in the Portland series. He was able to suck it up for a while and play, it hampered him, and eventually he was out of the series completely. This is a FACT.

It is also a fact that Scott had a leg unjury. Leg issues for a basketball player is going to hurt their game especially on defense. That's two of LA's 5 starters. Worthy a Hall of Famer and Finals MVP. I'm not guaranteeing that LA wins that series if 100% healthy but the injuries absolutely were a factor. To deny this is absurd.

Yes, Worthy was limping in game one. The commentators were discussing it early in the game. I watched the f**king game yesterday. Don't call me a liar please. Worthy was clearly injured. I think it happened in the Portland series. He was able to suck it up for a while and play, it hampered him, and eventually he was out of the series completely. This is a FACT.
    I didn't see the limping your talking about. I do remember him limping in gaame 3 or 4. But not game one. But as I said before, jordan was hurt too. Its a part of the game.x

It is also a fact that Scott had a leg unjury. Leg issues for a basketball player is going to hurt their game especially on defense. That's two of LA's 5 starters. Worthy a Hall of Famer and Finals MVP. I'm not guaranteeing that LA wins that series if 100% healthy but the injuries absolutely were a factor. To deny this is absurd.
    I can't honestly say the bulls win with a healthy worthy and scott. But based on what I saw in games 1-3, the bulls weren't in any real trouble. And again, don't forget jordan had a foot injury too.

This is the first half of game 1. Worthy had a good game. And I don't see the limping. Maybe his foot was hurt. But it wasn't noticbale.

Also. Notice that at the 28 min mark dunleavy puts worthy on jordan.
    http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=JpLvmrawTnw

Very good NBA starter

my knock on mullin was that he was never an impact difference maker ever.

you'd always see his stats which were pretty good, but at the end of the season when everything counted, he and tmc were always quick playoff exits. and they always departed miserably, going down with barely any swings. if they made to second round, they were often just swept easily like pancakes. there was no fire. no tenacity. no street hunger. whatever u wanna call it.

it's not all mullin's fault, but to me, his greatness is always going to be limited, so it's rather funny why so many people often compare him to larry bird....???

well, it's becuz they're both white. duh.

but they were pretty different players because bird had soooo much more game. also, mullin was soo slow he probably made bird look like brent barry.
    Last edited by DCL; 08-15-2011 at 12:45 PM.