Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: So I'm watching Game 5 of the 1997 NBA Finals on NBA TV "Flu game"

Quote Originally Posted by ThaSwagg3r
    Like I've said numerous times....If Stockton had the confidence in himself to take the clutch shots, the Jazz would have won a few titles with that dynamic duo. It is too bad he didn't have the confidence and he deferred to Karl Malone instead. The result? 0 championships.
    I doubt they win championships. Just a bunch of more Finals losses to the Bulls.

I don't think he didn't have the confidence. I think he was too much of a team player, and with Malone being the leader and there best scorer, he always let him have the opportunity of closing games out. I have the feeling he didn't want to insult his teammate and friend by not letting him take the last shot because he thought he was a choker.

Its funny cause if you watch the 97 WCF game 6 vs. the Rockets, it was one of the most clutch performances I've ever seen. Stockton scored the last 9 points for the Jazz in like 2 minutes by hitting some difficult layups and the game winning 3. It was flat out amazing. In a game with 5 HOFers and arguably 5 top 30-40 players of all-time, he was the one that dominated. What was funny about this game is this was there best opportunity to finally get to the Finals for the 1st time but he didn't defer to Malone at the end, and it was almost like he was saying "we've in this position way too many times before, I'm not letting my big p*ssy teammate f*ck this up again" and then he just flat out took control and won the game.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    I doubt they win championships. Just a bunch of more Finals losses to the Bulls.

I don't think he didn't have the confidence. I think he was too much of a team player, and with Malone being the leader and there best scorer, he always let him have the opportunity of closing games out. I have the feeling he didn't want to insult his teammate and friend by not letting him take the last shot because he thought he was a choker.

Its funny cause if you watch the 97 WCF game 6 vs. the Rockets, it was one of the most clutch performances I've ever seen. Stockton scored the last 9 points for the Jazz in like 2 minutes by hitting some difficult layups and the game winning 3. It was flat out amazing. In a game with 5 HOFers and arguably 5 top 30-40 players of all-time, he was the one that dominated. What was funny about this game is this was there best opportunity to finally get to the Finals for the 1st time but he didn't defer to Malone at the end, and it was almost like he was saying "we've in this position way too many times before, I'm not letting my big p*ssy teammate f*ck this up again" and then he just flat out took control and won the game.
    Another game just like this was Game 4 of the 97 Finals. The Bulls HAD that game but Stockton took it from them. He was always the one I would worry about deep in the 4th. He and Jeff Hornacek. If you left those guys open they were going to hit the shot. Malone was the guy that could hurt you in quarters 1 - 3 and half the 4th, mostly. I think the Bulls were content letting Malone try to close games, though.

nope, just means that either he couldn't do it or made a bad decisions by not doing it.

I'm sick of the "too much of a team player" excuse. If the decision is wrong, it is wrong. Don't sugarcoat it.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    nope, just means that either he couldn't do it or made a bad decisions by not doing it.

I'm sick of the "too much of a team player" excuse. If the decision is wrong, it is wrong. Don't sugarcoat it.
    I never said the decision wasn't wrong. Maybe team player isn't the right word. Maybe I should've said he was too unselfish. But I don't think he just didn't have the confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME

I actually agree with guy. What was stockton supposed to do? You got one of the greatest scorers in the history of the game on your team. I'm sure sloan drew up the plays to run through malone.

This is Monday morning quarterbacking at its finest. So what if stockton decides to do his thing and try to take over games but with the same result? We would be calling him an idiot for not going to the teams best scorer in the clutch.

And why are we knocking malone so much? Why don't we give rodman credit for the defense he played on malone. This is another case that shows clutch defense is just as important as clutch offense.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    I actually agree with guy. What was stockton supposed to do? You got one of the greatest scorers in the history of the game on your team. I'm sure sloan drew up the plays to run through malone.

This is Monday morning quarterbacking at its finest. So what if stockton decides to do his thing and try to take over games but with the same result? We would be calling him an idiot for not going to the teams best scorer in the clutch.

And why are we knocking malone so much? Why don't we give rodman credit for the defense he played on malone. This is another case that shows clutch defense is just as important as clutch offense.
    then he just wasn't good enough. Stockton played with Malone enough time to recognize the pattern of not coming up big in the clutch. He should have made the winning plays if he was good enough to do so. Obviously he wasn't. Sometimes you gotta stop worrying about what people will call you and win the damn game. That is what Isiah would have done.

Because it seems like this thread is yet another attempt at slighting Jordan/Bulls by knocking their competition. This is one of Jordans defining games yet all that Laker fans/Jordan haters/Bulls haters wanna do is point out Malones faults.

Typical.

There was a lot of pressure in this game. Malone played hard but the defence was very good, yet he still took shots to try to score but they were just bad decisions.

3-time NBA All-Star

Shawn Kemp the year before went off on Rodman and Malone the next year went off on Rodman. Malone is known to be choker in big moments regardless of the defense he played against.

Great college starter

Malone belongs in the Kobe category. An all time great that just didn't get it done when his team needed him. Pressure gets to everyone. Except a certain bunch.

Very good NBA starter

^

Shawn Kemp the year before went off on Rodman and Malone the next year went off on Rodman. Malone is known to be choker in big moments regardless of the defense he played against.
    Actually, kemp didn't go off on rodman. Kemp got a lot of garbage baskets that made his stats look very good. Big misconception. And in 98, they posted a stat on malone fg% against the bulls centers and rodman. If I remember correct, rodman held malone to 38% shooting.

Great college starter

Actually, kemp didn't go off on rodman. Kemp got a lot of garbage baskets that made his stats look very good. Big misconception. And in 98, they posted a stat on malone fg% against the bulls centers and rodman. If I remember correct, rodman held malone to 38% shooting.
    Malone used his intimidation tactics to bully around DROB and most other players. RODMAN didn't give a ****. **** Karl Malone.

I just watched this game the other day too. Here are some observations

Karl Malone choked big time. The dude fell apart. It was ugly.

The Bulls would have won the series eventually anyway.

Karl Malone was (usually) a smart player but he was very dirty. I've seen him pull some shit.

I love Dennis Rodman. That guy was a great player and he made the games really fun to watch.

Oh yeah, 97 Bulls. Wasn't it you who used to carry on about how the Bulls were better in 97 because of Brian Williams? Brian Williams sucked ass. No offense but he was so terrible in that game. That fat ass was getting chewed out by Phil Jackson something fierce. The dude would f**k up 5 seconds after being put in the game. Blown defensive assignments, fouls, you name it. I've never seen Phil that pissed at one guy for that long before. I'm sorry to put you on blast but that dude was a total waste.
    Last edited by Kobe 4 The Win; 09-16-2011 at 08:50 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe 4 The Win
    Oh yeah, 97 Bulls. Wasn't it you who used to carry on about how the Bulls were better in 97 because of Brian Williams? Brian Williams sucked ass. No offense but he was so terrible in that game. That fat ass was getting chewed out by Phil Jackson something fierce. The dude would f**k up 5 seconds after being put in the game. Blown defensive assignments, fouls, you name it. I've never seen Phil that pissed at one guy for that long before. I'm sorry to put you on blast but that dude was a total waste.
    Yea, Williams never was a good fit for the Bulls. Say all you want how he put up good stats before & after he left the Bulls, but there is a reason why Luc Longley was starting over Williams & played under 18 minutes per game in the postseason despite the Bulls having little depth at the frontline.