Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default So I'm watching Game 5 of the 1997 NBA Finals on NBA TV "Flu game"

All I have to say is Karl Malone is an absolute choker. During the 4th quarter in crunch time he just looked timid, he was taking 20 foot shots that were no where near to going in, with 15 sec left, Utah was down & Chicago had possession, Utah needs to foul, but Karl Malone doesn't foul when he had the chance to do so, this results in an easy dunk for Chicago. Game Over.

Decent college freshman Vragrant's Avatar

Default Re: So I'm watching Game 5 of the 1997 NBA Finals on NBA TV "Flu game"

I remember that play, with Bill Walton commentating, "Foul!.....What are you doing Karl Malone you gotta foul!".

Malone was a big choker, I laugh because he was one of the dirtiest players I've ever seen.

Magic Johnson

Hornacek looks like a white supremacist.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

I like Karl Malone .. and I still consider him today as the proto type PF for the league.

People don't realize on the board that it was a different era.. there was some very physical play back then , and it is one of the reasons why KM bulked up the way he did to take the punishment.

As for choking in the post season and or finals you bet... and you know why ?

MJ (even the 2nd highest scoring pro choked at playing the GOAT (.)

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper
    I like Karl Malone .. and I still consider him today as the proto type PF for the league.

People don't realize on the board that it was a different era.. there was some very physical play back then , and it is one of the reasons why KM bulked up the way he did to take the punishment.

As for choking in the post season and or finals you bet... and you know why ?

MJ (even the 2nd highest scoring pro choked at playing the GOAT (.)
    it's partially the team he's playing against, but it's also on Karl. I vividly remember some of the garbage he was putting up in some of those 4th quarters. It was kinda embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by cteach111
    it's partially the team he's playing against, but it's also on Karl. I vividly remember some of the garbage he was putting up in some of those 4th quarters. It was kinda embarrassing.
    At least you admonish the TEAM. Jaspers acting as if jordan was defening him. No credit to rodman or longley or williams.

ThaSwagg3r
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Like I've said numerous times....If Stockton had the confidence in himself to take the clutch shots, the Jazz would have won a few titles with that dynamic duo. It is too bad he didn't have the confidence and he deferred to Karl Malone instead. The result? 0 championships.

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by ThaSwagg3r
    Like I've said numerous times....If Stockton had the confidence in himself to take the clutch shots, the Jazz would have won a few titles with that dynamic duo. It is too bad he didn't have the confidence and he deferred to Karl Malone instead. The result? 0 championships.
    Agreed. Very good player, but he's not great because he didn't assert himself enough.

Rodman guarded him most of the time with double teaming of Pippen & Jordan. 3 best defenders of all time..

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by rodman91
    Rodman guarded him most of the time with double teaming of Pippen & Jordan. 3 best defenders of all time..
    Imagine this defensive lineup ...

PG - Payton
    SG - Jordan
    SF - Pippen
    PF - Rodman
    C - Duncan

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh

PG - Payton
    SG - Jordan
    SF - Pippen
    PF - Rodman
    C - Duncan
    Duncan doesn't even play center. How about Chamberlain, Russell, or Olajuwon.

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Duncan doesn't even play center. How about Chamberlain, Russell, or Olajuwon.
    Duncan is more center than he is power forward, lil bro

Good High School Starter

PG - Payton
    SG - Jordan
    SF - Pippen
    PF - Rodman
    C - Duncan
    would get owned by

iverson
    reggie
    bird
    mchale
    shaq

u mad?

ThaSwagg3r
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Agreed. Very good player, but he's not great because he didn't assert himself enough.
    I am starting to think that he could have been the greatest PG ever (if not then second greatest) if he did assert himself. There is no question the Jazz would have won a few titles if he did. The titles are what hold Stockton from being ranked above PGs like Isiah or Oscar.

Oh well....just a fun hypothetical to play with.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Duncan is more center than he is power forward, lil bro
    Soooooo is he the GOAT PF, or 6th best center?