Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: Scottie Pippen vs Dirk Nowitzki

LOL at people acting like Dirk is clearly better.

I love Dirk, but Pippen was a great player and sacrificed a lot for his team.

Pippen is hard to rank because he never really had a real chance as the number 1 guy.

But its very close.

Quote Originally Posted by PP34Deuce
    History says u take the 7 footer who can give you 27-30ppg with 9-10 rebounds and clutch.
    Portlands done that twice, how's that worked out for them? Either way, nowitzki is a jumpshooting 7 footer.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41

Pippen is hard to rank because he never really had a real chance as the number 1 guy.

But its very close.
    These guys don't know what they're talking about. Im hearing stupid things like pippen wasn't clutch and couldn't win a championship. Then mention guys like james, barkley, etc as examples. And forget the fact that I've gave evidence of pippen taking over games.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Like I said earlier. I gave you multiple instances of pippen willing the bulls to a victory. What more do you want? Not to mention alot of the players you mentioned don't have a championship. Why not?
    Pip played with MJ the greatest of all time. And Pip was a Robin to MJ. It wasn't a Batman-Superman combo. Plus many guys didn't have the luxury on playing great teams consistently. And if they did they ran into Mike and lost in the finals. It doesn't take away from the fact that they were great players. Put Barkley, Malone, or Nique on the Bulls and take Pip out. They woulda won rings on the Bulls team. When u are playing alongside Mike what great player WOULDN'T have won a ring. MJ never, ever, ever played with another alpha dog type guy. And u are the idiot and dont know shit about sports. Wanna know why? Cause the object of any sport is who has the most points, runs, goals, etc. That's cut and dry. I never said D doesn't matter. But we all know great offense beats great defense. Im talking Pip willing the Bulls through clutch shots and takeover scoring ability. And I'm talking so great at to where u become ICONIC at it. Pip is iconic for versatility and D. Not takeover alpha dog scoring ability in the clutch.

If Pip was so great why is it that Kukoc was taking the last shot when Pip whined like a *****. The play was designed for Toni to take the last shot. Ha Ha! I know plenty about sports. Whoever has the most points in a bball game wins it point blank. I'm not saying u go about it without other factors. But some teams may be small. Or don't have great defenders. So they best alternative might be to run up the points.

These guys don't know what they're talking about. Im hearing stupid things like pippen wasn't clutch and couldn't win a championship. Then mention guys like james, barkley, etc as examples. And forget the fact that I've gave evidence of pippen taking over games.
    Once again I never said Pip didn't have his moments. But not like a Bron or Barkley. Pip isn't on Barkley or Bron's level point blank. In a shot for shot duel in the playoffs where every basket is precious u mean to tell me u want Pip battling Bird over a Nique or Bernard King? Or if your team is down 20 in a playoff game u mean to tell me u want Pip over Isiah willing the team through scoring? Pip is not on those levels whatsover. Get off Pip's dick and be happy he's a great point forward type of player who is a HOFer. And Bron is taking the point forward shit to levels PIP COULD NEVER DREAM OF!

But its very close.
    Pip had that chance in '94 and didn't do what needed to be done in that situation. The standard for the Bulls were rings. That's why they begged MJ back! LMAO Cause Pip wasn't the alpha dog they needed. He was still an All-Star and a top player in the L. But if u put MJ in Pip's place on that team, you had Kukoc to be a point forward type of player. They would miss Pip's D, but u can always put MJ on the best perimeter guy. And MJ woulda took that team farther than Pip did. A Bron, Wade, or Kobe woulda took that team farther as well. Pip went to Houston off a Bulls title and was the third banana to Barkley and Dream. Drexler was CLEARLY better in that situation that Pip was. Cause Clyde could be third option guy who had Batman instincts. Pip never had the Batman instincts. He's a Robin. And Robin is a legend. But Robin ain't Batman, Spider-Man, Superman, etc.

You knocked pippen cuz he didn't win in 94. Why excuse guys that you feel are better than him? Your being hypocritical. You said he wasnt as clutch and couldn't will teams. Well pick a player and give me mutiple examples of them doing what it takes to be considered clutch. Come on. I double dare you

It was all a dream Notorious D.M.C's Avatar

tough questions...I would rather build around Dirk but at the same time Pippen has accomplished more...but then again he had Jordan. I don't know

You knocked pippen cuz he didn't win in 94. Why excuse guys that you feel are better than him? Your being hypocritical. You said he wasnt as clutch and couldn't will teams. Well pick a player and give me mutiple examples of them doing what it takes to be considered clutch. Come on. I double dare you
    When I say clutch I'm talking about willing his team through putting the ball in the hole. Pip simply isn't on the level of a Reggie Miller for example. Both games in MSG is a prime example. The three against the Bulls in the playoffs. There are three clear examples in big time moments. Pip is not on Miller's level when it comes to OFFENSIVE, CLUTCH TAKEOVER SHIT! I knocked Pip cause he was in the role to be the man without MJ. He did very good, but that team needed more scoring punch. Basic math tells u that. MJ was averaging 30 points and up those years. Those teams didn't have a plethora of elite scoring threats. So MJ put the team on his back cause HE HAD TO. Pip didn't do that enough for that 94 Bulls team to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious D.M.C
    tough questions...I would rather build around Dirk but at the same time Pippen has accomplished more...but then again he had Jordan. I don't know
    That's a great way to look at it. I catch all this heat cause I said I would rather have Dirk than Pip. But on a GOAT list, Pip is higher up than Dirk. Cause Pip revolutionized the SF position. And made many All Star Games, All NBA Teams, All D teams. Plus he has six rings. That legacy right there proved Pip is great. But for me I prefer guys who had Pip's all around excellence AND alpha dog takeover scoring ability. And yes I would rather have guys like Dirk, Durant, Nique, and Bernard King over Pip. But I concede Pip's versatility and D make him unique. Cause if your team is need of a PG, SG, SF u can always take Pip. But when building a team I'm picking a Dirk over Pip.

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    That's a great way to look at it. I catch all this heat cause I said I would rather have Dirk than Pip. But on a GOAT list, Pip is higher up than Dirk. Cause Pip revolutionized the SF position. And made many All Star Games, All NBA Teams, All D teams. Plus he has six rings. That legacy right there proved Pip is great. But for me I prefer guys who had Pip's all around excellence AND alpha dog takeover scoring ability. And yes I would rather have guys like Dirk, Durant, Nique, and Bernard King over Pip. But I concede Pip's versatility and D make him unique. Cause if your team is need of a PG, SG, SF u can always take Pip. But when building a team I'm picking a Dirk over Pip.
    This has nothing to do with your choice. Dirk is a flatout beast. Ill never have a problem with a persons choice. But you are being hypocritical. Almost everybody you named has had 5 to 15 years to win and honestly did no better than pippen in his one season that jordan left. So how did they take over these games if they NEVER WON? That's the reason they play. I mean, does everybody need jordan to win a championship? And if everybody needs jordan to take over the games for them, what's the difference from pippen?

And seeing as how your so infatuated with scoring, just think what pippen could've done offensively if he didn't have to literraly do everything at a high level? People honestly don't understand how much energy it takes to do what pippen did. Even the guys you mentioned could never score 30 and grab 8 rebounds, set up teammates, to get 8 asiists, block shots, play the pasing lanes, play their man at a high level, full court press. And still take over games offensively. That's not human bizel. Noone can do that. The only person that was close was jordan. You ever notice how when guy need to take on big defensive assignments, they score only like 15 points? And im talking about guys like bryant, wade, james all the big scorers you've refered to. And honestly, they don't do nearly as well as pippen when he assumes the same position.

All im saying is, as much as you minimize what pippen did in 94, he honestly did better than most of the guys you mentioned.

This has nothing to do with your choice. Dirk is a flatout beast. Ill never have a problem with a persons choice. But you are being hypocritical. Almost everybody you named has had 5 to 15 years to win and honestly did no better than pippen in his one season that jordan left. So how did they take over these games if they NEVER WON? That's the reason they play. I mean, does everybody need jordan to win a championship? And if everybody needs jordan to take over the games for them, what's the difference from pippen?

And seeing as how your so infatuated with scoring, just think what pippen could've done offensively if he didn't have to literraly do everything at a high level? People honestly don't understand how much energy it takes to do what pippen did. Even the guys you mentioned could never score 30 and grab 8 rebounds, set up teammates, to get 8 asiists, block shots, play the pasing lanes, play their man at a high level, full court press. And still take over games offensively. That's not human bizel. Noone can do that. The only person that was close was jordan. You ever notice how when guy need to take on big defensive assignments, they score only like 15 points? And im talking about guys like bryant, wade, james all the big scorers you've refered to. And honestly, they don't do nearly as well as pippen when he assumes the same position.

All im saying is, as much as you minimize what pippen did in 94, he honestly did better than most of the guys you mentioned.
    Good post. I hear people mentioning Barkley and Malone in terms of winning. What? Those guys had a number of chances to win. In fact, both actually lost to a team Pippen was on in the Finals.

What did Pippen do in the finals in 93 by the way?

Something like 21 points 10 boards 8 assists and elite defense. Sorry, only a few guys in NBA history can fill a stat sheet like that and play all time great defense.

For those of you saying Pippen couldn't lead a team to a title. Total BS. Total ****ing BS.

Look what Pippen did in 94. He put up 23/8/5 for starters....but he didn't have a great team. Does anyone here really think Pippen couldn't have made the Finals and had a good shot to win that year just by adding a guy like Mitch Richmond to that team? That team had Pete Myers playing the 2 guard. You put an all-star 2 guard on that team and it had a chance to win the title for sure.

You give Pippen an all-nba player and a stacked roster and he's winning the title in 94.

People need to learn that you win and lose as a team.

Dirk is the same way. If Dirk had played his entire career with a legit 2nd option guy....like top 15 player in the league...like a Paul Pierce or a prime Manu. He would have won multiple titles.

The only reason I take Dirk over Pippen has nothing to do with knocking Pippen. Its because Dirk is truly one of the best number 1 options in NBA history. Look at what he's done with his teams. Its downright amazing. His level of play in the playoffs is probably top 15 all time. He's super clutch not only late in games, but in elimination games as well.

Think about what he's done.

26 points 11 boards 3 assists on 58% True Shooting for his career in the playoffs. He's 33 and playing almost as good as he did in his prime/peak. This has now been 11 straight years of elite play from Dirk. Simply remarkable.

If he ever had the luxury of playing with all time greats like Shaq did with Kobe and Wade....or Bird did or Magic did....or even MJ did.....he'd be talked about as one of the truly best (top 15 players) of all time.

Who knows, if he continues to play at this level a few more years....he might get there anyway. Dirk is 33....and he's averaging:

28 points 9 boards 3 assists on 49%fg 58%3 90% ft.....thats just insane. And he's been the best 4th qtr player in these playoffs as well.

Not a knock on Pippen at all. Dirk is just insanely good. I hope people finally start to realize that this is nothing new with Dirk. He's been this good or better for about a decade now.

I will acknowledge that dirk is looking alot like bird out there. I really can't think of anybody in the league that's tall enough and athletics enough to guard him. Maybe kirelinko? He's shredding all the lakers bigs.

I will acknowledge that dirk is looking alot like bird out there. I really can't think of anybody in the league that's tall enough and athletics enough to guard him. Maybe kirelinko? He's shredding all the lakers bigs.
    The best guys to guard Dirk are guys like Udonis Haslem. A tough smart defender that can body Dirk and have the quickness to stay in front.

Joel Anthony would be another really tough defender for Dirk. But right now, not much you can do when a guy is shooting 49/58/90 and scoring 28 a game.

Thats just all time great stuff.

The best guys to guard Dirk are guys like Udonis Haslem. A tough smart defender that can body Dirk and have the quickness to stay in front.

Joel Anthony would be another really tough defender for Dirk. But right now, not much you can do when a guy is shooting 49/58/90 and scoring 28 a game.

Thats just all time great stuff.
    Dirk would just shoot right over both of them. Same way he doing odom. And he'd go right around anthony. Too bad butler isn't there.