Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Why is pumpfaking and jumping INTO the defender not an offensive foul?

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
    Its an offensive foul or a no call if the defender jumps straight up and you jump into him. Its a shooting foul if the defender jumps towards you and you jump into him at the same time to create contact. Its also an offensive foul if the defender jumps on the side but the offensive player jump sideways to create contact but refs will sometimes miss that call

whats so hard to understand?
    Fans understand this, but refs dont, at least we get such impression when watching DWistle, Lebron, etc.

Shutting down your thread with knowledge and intelligence DJ Leon Smith's Avatar

Default Re: Why is pumpfaking and jumping INTO the defender not an offensive foul?

Quote Originally Posted by AIR CONGO
    I don't like it when a shooter can jump diagonal into the defender even though the defender went straight up.
    Like what G-Train said, that's an offensive foul. Or at least that's how it should be called, whether it is or not is another story. I remember a game years ago when Sean Elliott was guarding Jordan, MJ faked and Elliott bit, jumped straight up, Jordan shot and leaned into him and was called for a charge. If you jump straight up (staying in your own vertical "cylinder") the foul should be called on the played jumping into you.

I rule the local playground Floppy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AIR CONGO
    I don't like it when a shooter can jump diagonal into the defender even though the defender went straight up.
    Those plays are so infuriating.

Also, since they added the half circle every charge suddenly turns into a blocking foul. WTF is that? Can't there be no calls any more? Do you really have to call every contact? You shouldn't be punished for having legal defensive positioning even in the half circle. If someone thinks he has to barrel through a defender don't bail him out with a block when he misses.

Refs also love to use that half circle as an excuse to call a blocking foul even when the defender goes straight up.

/rant

Decent college freshman

Learning to shoot layups

If the defender jumps straight up it is an offensive foul. The problem is 99% of the time the defender is jumping towards the offensive player. In that case, the offensive player has every right to jump into the defender and a foul is the proper call. If you don't like it, jump straight up or better yet, don't bite on a pump fake.

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    It is an offensive foul if defended properly.
    If you don't leave the ground with your arms straight up, or leave the ground and stay straight its a charge.
    This.

But when the hell was the last time an offensive foul was called in a situation like this? 99% of the time, its a shooting foul. But then again, how many times does the defender actually jumps straight up, and not forward...

Great college starter 50inchvertical's Avatar

Last night Pau thought he was clever and jumped passed Kidd to the side and Kidd literally jumped sideways and backwards into him and still got the ball. If I was a ref (in fact I do sometimes for low level tournaments), players would hate me because I would never give that call.

NBA rookie of the year

I think it's ok to a certain point.
    I'm not cool with the thing Durant does, when the defensive player is on him he drags his arms with the boll in his hands under the defenders arm and then fast as hell he drags the ball up under the defenders arm and as soon he gets some contact he drags his arm up like he's about to shooooot... NO LIKE!

chips93
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    A la charging? It's cheating, just like flopping.

if the defensive player is moving into the offensive player, then its a foul on the defensive player. if an offensive player drives hard to the rim, and a defender hits into him, then its a foul, whats the difference? as long as the defender leaves his verticality, then he could foul somebody, it stops defenders being reckless

Quote Originally Posted by heyhey
    HAHA i saw this the other day within 1 sec was thinking he was practicing it lol

Local High School Star gilalizard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
    Its an offensive foul or a no call if the defender jumps straight up and you jump into him. Its a shooting foul if the defender jumps towards you and you jump into him at the same time to create contact. Its also an offensive foul if the defender jumps on the side but the offensive player jump sideways to create contact but refs will sometimes miss that call

whats so hard to understand?

That regardless of circumstance, it's typically called as a foul on the defender. Even when the shooter blatantly jumps into the defender.

Pierce and dwhistle are the most high-profile offenders. CP3 is pretty shameless in using it. And Kobe goes to it sometimes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    It is an offensive foul if defended properly.
    If you don't leave the ground with your arms straight up, or leave the ground and stay straight its a charge.
    This.

But if you try to fade away/evade but still got hit, that's the time it should be called a shooting foul.

Jumping into the defender is a cheesy move.

If the defender jumps straight up and down, it should be a charge, or at least a no-call. I've noticed some refs don't give the pump faker credit for the contact, and I've seen it called an offensive foul a couple times.

Local High School Star wakencdukest's Avatar

Wade does it, Chris Paul does it, and Kobe does it, along with a lot of other players. It's a ***** move whoever does it. Same as a flop, bottom line. And the Durant move, swinging the arms up through the defender, ***** move also. Some argue that it's a smart play, well, so is flopping on the ground like you've been shot. There's no difference no matter how blatant the flop. other fans like myself think that jumping into someone or swinging through the defenders arms should be at least a no-call.
    Last edited by wakencdukest; 05-06-2011 at 02:28 AM.

Magic Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by BarberSchool
    I don't want to see this become an instant offensive foul, but I'd love to see it become a consistent embarrassing no call. Especially for Wade and Kobe, who use it most.
    Kobe hardly ever uses it. Wade uses it quite a bit, but Durant has absolutely perfected the move. It really is ridiculous though and I wouldn't mind if they started calling an offensive foul or just ignoring it completely.