Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Why is pumpfaking and jumping INTO the defender not an offensive foul?

I don't want to see this become an instant offensive foul, but I'd love to see it become a consistent embarrassing no call. Especially for Wade and Kobe, who use it most.

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Why is pumpfaking and jumping INTO the defender not an offensive foul?

Quote Originally Posted by SinJackal
    We know it's a legal move. The thread is questioning why it is legal. It should be an offensive foul. Or at least a no call. It's a very cheap move.

And I'm guessing you meant "savvy", not "davy".
    I am on my phone, it auto spellchecks shit

im a superhero

if a player is stupid enough to jump forward into the air and fall for a pumpfake, its a foul. they do, so you are allowed to jump forward, since the defender is too. since hes jumping forward, its a defensive foul.

its not cheating. its defensive players being stupid. its a great tactic.

a cheap tactic is swinging your arm through. a player is allowed to have his arm out and hold it there.

Local High School Star lakerspng's Avatar

the play in question, and the type of play the OP is alluding to is not the defender jumping into the offensive player's space..

Pau Gasol jumped at an angle in front of Jason Kidd's shot, Jason Kidd had to jump sideways to make contact with Pau who was nowhere in his space. That should not have been called a foul. The defender is allowed their space as well, if the offensive player enters it and makes contact, it is an offensive foul by rule. Technically since Jason Kidd was the one who jumped into Pau, then it should have either been an offensive foul or no call at all.... although it should have ben ball out of bounds and a travel on Jason Kidd before that even took place... instead 3 free throws for J Kidd. terrible call.

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    I dont think Kobe should do it either. It cheapens the game.
    Yeah but the people of ISH want to know why you never called Kobe out on it when he made a habit of it?

Saw a basketball once AIR CONGO's Avatar

I don't like it when a shooter can jump diagonal into the defender even though the defender went straight up.

More like Matt Boner HB40TheNextStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ukplayer4
    is it ok when kobe does it? how come you dont make a thread every time he does it?

Quote Originally Posted by lakerspng
    the play in question, and the type of play the OP is alluding to is not the defender jumping into the offensive player's space..

Pau Gasol jumped at an angle in front of Jason Kidd's shot, Jason Kidd had to jump sideways to make contact with Pau who was nowhere in his space. That should not have been called a foul. The defender is allowed their space as well, if the offensive player enters it and makes contact, it is an offensive foul by rule. Technically since Jason Kidd was the one who jumped into Pau, then it should have either been an offensive foul or no call at all.... although it should have ben ball out of bounds and a travel on Jason Kidd before that even took place... instead 3 free throws for J Kidd. terrible call.
    A rule modification needs to be made. Van Gundy has made a complaint over that play time and time again.

It is an offensive foul if defended properly.
    If you don't leave the ground with your arms straight up, or leave the ground and stay straight its a charge.

Quote Originally Posted by AIR CONGO
    I don't like it when a shooter can jump diagonal into the defender even though the defender went straight up.
    That's an offensive foul.

NBA rookie of the year

I'm trying to remember who was the first person I remember pulling this move. I believe it was Sam Cassell. Anyways, I dislike it to. I only likes fouls where you're in actual act of shooting/scoring. Period.

Scal
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
    Its an offensive foul or a no call if the defender jumps straight up and you jump into him. Its a shooting foul if the defender jumps towards you and you jump into him at the same time to create contact. Its also an offensive foul if the defender jumps on the side but the offensive player jump sideways to create contact but refs will sometimes miss that call

whats so hard to understand?
    At least some posters have made an intelligent response instead of the usual player X hating.

I agree - if the defender is straight up, it cannot be a foul on the defender. If the defender is jumping toward the offensive player, the player with the ball has advantage so it is a foul.

The rip around foul is annoying though legitimate. Just unfortunate as you are taught good defensive stance is arms out, palms up (but outside a player's cylinder).

LOL?! Troll thread?

If the defender jumps straight up, it is an offensive foul. Too bad, defenders are always jumpy (pun intended?) and want to block that shot, so they jump leaning forward or to the side and then they are at the mercy of the offensive player...

Because Stern runs the NBA.

Local High School Star nashwade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
    Its an offensive foul or a no call if the defender jumps straight up and you jump into him. Its a shooting foul if the defender jumps towards you and you jump into him at the same time to create contact. Its also an offensive foul if the defender jumps on the side but the offensive player jump sideways to create contact but refs will sometimes miss that call

whats so hard to understand?
    this

if you are the defender and you play Kobe, Wade, Billups and you jump forward, you're done