Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Default Re: How long did Shaq's prime last?

Probably ever since his second year till 2003. In his early Orlando days, he was more active on defense and he had 29.3 ppg on very efficient shooting. He was also quicker. But he slowed down slightly, it could be because of conditioning, until Phil Jackson wanted him to play better defense like he did in Orlando.

So tbh, his prime could be his second year all the way till 2003ish.

In 2004, he was still a beast, but Karl Malone, Payton, and Kobe were all in the same team. So he wouldn't shoot as much. Plus zone defense was there and people can rom around more to make sure he does not get the ball and double team him. I don't really remember if they did that or not, but Shaq was still a beast and could score a lot of points if need be.
    Last edited by Micku; 05-02-2011 at 09:52 PM.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    Probably ever since his second year till 2003. In his early Orlando days, he was more active on defense and he had 29.3 ppg on very efficient shooting. He was also quicker. But he slowed down slightly, it could be because of conditioning, until Phil Jackson wanted him to play better defense like he did in Orlando.

So tbh, his prime could be his second year all the way till 2003ish.

In 2004, he was still a beast, but Karl Malone, Payton, and Kobe were all in the same team. So he wouldn't shoot as much. Plus zone defense was there and people can rom around more to make sure he does not get the ball and double team him. I don't really remember if they did that or not, but Shaq was still a beast and could score a lot of points if need be.
    I agree. During his second season (1993-1994) he was already outplaying Ewing and leading the NBA in scoring untill the last game of the season where Robinson's 70+ game put his ahead. The next season Orlando made the finals. As for the end of the prime, I think his absolute peak ended in 2001, when he came back after the 2nd championship fat and out of shape, but for all intensive purposes his prime lasted untill his injury in Miami in 2005. In 2003, he still had a good season and playoffs, in 2004 he played well (incluing the finals) and his stats were skewed by lack of touches, and the same goes for 2005 - where his minutes and shot attempts were both down from before. You could see the glimpses of dominant Shaq even in the 2006 playoffs, such as his 30-20-5 game against Detroit.

Banned

prime shaq>>>any version of MJ

Home of the 16

Quote Originally Posted by Timofey Mozgov
    His career pretty much ended when he hurt his leg/thigh his first season with Miami. He was never the same after that. He was absolutely dominant that year until he got hurt. If that fluke injury never occurred they woulda won back-to-back titles.
    He got injured in his 3rd year with the heat.